What’s the cheapest pellet trap I can make?

By cheap I mean I can go to Walmart and buy it under $15…should be able to stop 80 ft/lbs

Dave Cole is right on point because that's what I done for decades and it does not cost a thing. More than likely, I'm sure you have a bunch of old pants, worn out shirts and maybe a pair of old shoes that you have no use for laying around. The right size box, it does not have be so large where you can fit into it is the perfect recipe for what you're asking. Take Dave's advice and see how it works out for you and if it doesn't, you do you have to loose. Dave Cole, you are the man!

LOG.1649631810.jpeg

Cardboard box (1” deep for every 10fpe of energy should be plenty) tightly packed with rubber mulch. You should have it weigh at least 5 lbs when done or with 80fpe you’ll be chasing it every time you shoot it. 
when you shoot up the face of the box, you can patch it with another piece of cardboard. This one has served me well for a few years.

8E2FD39A-C8EF-418F-BF5C-812CD7D669CB.1649554152.jpeg

Oh boy did I go for over kill, and over weight. 12" deep box with a piece of carpet and filled with rubber mulch. Weighs a hell of a lot more than 5#, it took 2 bags to fill it. Sadly cardboard won't survive outside so I'm going to replace it with a simple wooden box.

If you want the cheapest look into the recycle for plastic if there are any big plastic containers, big jugs or buckets with lid or similar, fill it with sand, gravle, shingle or other free dirt from the ground, look for cardboard boxes at the recycle place and cut them to fit the container, use some tape and attach the cardboard then take a marker and make some dots on it and it's ready to be used, almost completley free of charge

5 gallon buckets filled with rubber mulch. One bag of the rubber mulch can be had from WM for $8 and will perfectly fill a five gallon bucket all the way to the top and compressed down with the lid. Both are easily less than $15.

Lay the bucket on its side and tape your target onto the lid.

if you can find square five gallon buckets then stand them up and place targets on the sides. 

my own version of the rubber mulch buckets have proven to stop 30 cal pellets at 1K FPS easily.

36AF16D0-E4DD-4DD8-A9F1-1F3217F3429C.1649588848.jpeg
01E42B0E-1575-41BD-8740-6A946BB0BA3D.1649588849.jpeg
FE5D7D81-63B7-4AC5-9B81-F946C569E009.1649588851.jpeg

Very well done!

You could probably sell those.

By cheap I mean I can go to Walmart and buy it under $15…should be able to stop 80 ft/lbs

Dave Cole is right on point because that's what I done for decades and it does not cost a thing. More than likely, I'm sure you have a bunch of old pants, worn out shirts and maybe a pair of old shoes that you have no use for laying around. The right size box, it does not have be so large where you can fit into it is the perfect recipe for what you're asking. Take Dave's advice and see how it works out for you and if it doesn't, you do you have to loose. Dave Cole, you are the man!

I forgot to mention that I also use old telephone books. magazines and once it's filled, I'll use duck-tape so that it will last or hold up outside in the elements. Duck tape last almost forever outside and my pellet traps a pretty quite.