• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What’s the best trigger in the business

No contest to me - the ball bearing trigger on my Thomas HPX at 4 oz! Though some Olympic match triggers might be up there too. The half dozen or so other Olympic match guns I've fired weren't as precise in feel as the one on my HPX. Usually when I was at the Shot Show I would visit all the booths I could get to and try most of the best Olympic guns. All nice, and likely triggers not adjusted as good as they could be, but nothing so far is quite as neat as my Thomas.

It's a funny thing, I have a expensive Anschutz 22rf which had the trigger set to a crisp 14oz, which I used in our last few XFT matches, and it felt waaay too heavy to me compared to my Thomas. I found in a match setting like this that the Thomas is soooooo much easier to shoot well!!! I spent an hour earlier this week getting the trigger set to 6oz in the Anschutz which is as low as it will go and still be safe = now much much better!

The 3oz trigger in my Steyr LG100 I used to have was a close 2nd to my Thomas in feel but not as distinct. Actually the Morini 162E was right there with the Steyr but again not as distinct. Some other Steyr's I have as well as Anschutz triggers are great but don't adjust as low.

A medium weigh trigger to me is more like 1-2 lb which are found on most of my rifles. These are the ones I use for when its not preferred or appropriate for such lightweight triggers as described above.

A main reason some don't like "light triggers, subjectively 6 oz???", is when adjusted low the feel is gone because the sears are at the edges of engagement - therefore to have "that feel" a light trigger must have a solid wall and a crisp distinct break which is a rare find. When experienced, as far as once one being used to the feel of it, if you can rest your finger on the trigger at a low weight (pick any low weight but for example in my case) like say 2 oz's worth of pressure, and when it doesn't trip until a predictable 4 oz, then you have an exceptional one.

It shouldn't have to be said, but if someone is reading this post and is going to try and adjust their trigger real low, please thoroughly test it first, test the safety switch as well, and even after that is done be extra careful in your gun handling. This can mean leaving the bolt open and not loading a projectile until pointed at the target and/or using the safety beforehand.

Reactions: davelarson
@steve123: excellent write up from your experience. I obviously have not experienced trigger like the ones on a Thomas gun and unlikely will. What you said makes a lot of sense. Since I don’t have the privilege of such incredible triggers and quite frankly lack of skill on top of that the compromise I came up with is the heavier trigger. Especially when my fingers are cold at the range or back yard I can hardly feel even 12 oz trigger. LOL 

my frustrations have been even with 12 oz and the “wall” is relatively distinct on most of my guns I can’t always consistently feel it and ended up shooting the gun while trying to take up the slack. I am probably doing it all wrong but after some experimenting the single stage became my solution of just feel the trigger with my finger or no take up at all is the only way I can consistently shoot better without paying extra attention. No concentration at all is required since there is no take up. On the branch when the gun is super stable the 2 stage trigger isn’t an issue but when in shooting in all other conditions like hunting or leaning against the wall the 2 stage trigger is straight up annoyance for me.

Any pointers on how to be better are welcomed! 

I see many said Evol triggers one of best , I have to agree I own a mini and a 30 cal and for HUNTING I love them , I have owned a HW and it had a great trigger I got rid of it because I just not a fan of pistols I never liked pistols , for a mid priced gun , I do like Taipan again for hunting , I am not a bench shooter and i only shoot paper when tuning guns so I have no use for a trigger under say 12 ounces, I want my triggers to break same every time , One more thing , Id like to say I even loved edguns triggers because they predictible to me when adjusted to my liking ,A hair trigger in real world environment to me is more of a danger then an asset , But if I shot only paper I mite have a different answer ,Even my ELR rifles do not break under 1 pound . and I can shoot them a mighty long way and group very tight .

This being said anything hi stressed you dont want a light trigger say with adrenaline rush of seeing the trophy deer or zombies invading , better to have a crisp trigger a bit heavier .

LOU

@steve123: excellent write up from your experience. I obviously have not experienced trigger like the ones on a Thomas gun and unlikely will. What you said makes a lot of sense. Since I don’t have the privilege of such incredible triggers and quite frankly lack of skill on top of that the compromise I came up with is the heavier trigger. Especially when my fingers are cold at the range or back yard I can hardly feel even 12 oz trigger. LOL 

my frustrations have been even with 12 oz and the “wall” is relatively distinct on most of my guns I can’t always consistently feel it and ended up shooting the gun while trying to take up the slack. I am probably doing it all wrong but after some experimenting the single stage became my solution of just feel the trigger with my finger or no take up at all is the only way I can consistently shoot better without paying extra attention. No concentration at all is required since there is no take up. On the branch when the gun is super stable the 2 stage trigger isn’t an issue but when in shooting in all other conditions like hunting or leaning against the wall the 2 stage trigger is straight up annoyance for me.

Any pointers on how to be better are welcomed! 

Thanks qball.

I guess each trigger must be treated differently, and for each type of shooting situation, even temperature and fingers being cold like you mentioned. Sounds like you did what worked best for your gun and type of uses.

Some guns I've shot had super light two stage triggers but unpredictable and also unappreciated! I don't like these kinds, put in the situation and given the choice I'd rather have a medium weight trigger with a distinct wall and a crisp break rather than the former. Like my Anschutz 22rf if used for NRL22, to me 6oz is too light, where it was set before is about right for NRL. I also have it set to single stage.

The LG100 I mentioned was set to 3oz single stage because the take up weight when set to two stage at 3oz wasn't much different feeling than the break.

Basically the more dynamic the situation the heavier I want the trigger. My STI 2011 pistol is 1.75 lbs, my tactical rifles at 12oz, coyote rifle is 2.5 lbs but its a "set trigger" and when set its at 5oz, which is nice for shooting prairie dogs. Custom AR at 2.5 lbs, shotguns at 3 lbs. Had plenty of atrocious triggers in all kinds of guns, mainly ones I bought for self defense, and likely the best use for heavy triggers.

I had my Impact set at around 12oz single stage as well, seemed about right though I wouldn't have minded it a bit lighter.

Only advice I could mention is to try and pull the trigger straight back vs at an angle. That might require adjusting your grip position slightly.

A good two-stage trigger, properly adjusted should yield a distinct first stage stop, with a clean second stage release, and you should not have a problem pulling through it for an accidental discharge. I believe some people try to use them in light-pull applications, for which they are really not well suited for most shooters. But at release weights of over 8 ounces or so, they work very well, assuming you have average sensitivity in your finger. They really shine in service rifle and similar situations where you have to have a heavy, or specified pull, like 4.5 pounds. Squeezing 4 pounds in a single stage, as opposed to a 3/1 setup in a two-stage is very different. 

On a 2 stage air pistol trigger, I have roughly 383 grams on the first stage, and roughly 117 grams on the second stage, to make it 500 gram legal, for competition. The weight on the first stage prevents accidental shots. The weight on the second stage allows for precision. Similar settings can be achieved for hunting applications where 2 stage triggers are available, and heavier trigger weights are needed. (read pounds of trigger pull).

The most important thing is to have a set of weights to measure trigger pull with, before one starts the process.

On a 2 stage air pistol trigger, I have roughly 383 grams on the first stage, and roughly 117 grams on the second stage, to make it 500 gram legal, for competition. The weight on the first stage prevents accidental shots. The weight on the second stage allows for precision. Similar settings can be achieved for hunting applications where 2 stage triggers are available, and heavier trigger weights are needed. (read pounds of trigger pull).

The most important thing is to have a set of weights to measure trigger pull with, before one starts the process.

If you are involved in a competition with trigger rules, then yes, you need to measure. Otherwise, forget the instruments and set up the trigger for your feel. Your goal is to hit your target, so do what works.

Isn't every trigger a competition trigger? A competition to achieve the desired result?

Well, I guess. My thought, in the case of informal target or field use, the desired result might better be evaluated by how the trigger feels, rather than an instrument or weight reading. In my experience, trigger quality is a very subjective issue. A trigger that feels great to me, might be unacceptable to you. Just my opinion.

I guess I am one of the few who like a hair trigger. Seems I like a light touch and the triggers on both my HT and LT varmit Thomas airguns is light. There is a small first stage that I can easily feel and just slightly more pressure sends the pellet off toward my target. I have gauged it at 4oz. I guess being a female shooter means a light touch. I must mention my Daystate Safari also has a trigger to my liking. It is .22Hp and enabled me to get to the finals at Extreme Benchrest 2021. I have been going for the past 3 years and finally made it to shoot the hundred yards. But the trigger preference is based on each individual and what discipline they shoot. No two people will be the same. Just go have fun!

Thanks qball.

The LG100 I mentioned was set to 3oz single stage because the take up weight when set to two stage at 3oz wasn't much different feeling than the break.

Steve 123...

Your Steyr was nowhere near 3 oz...lol. It was also inconsistent .

Several have mentioned "hair" triggers but 3, 4, or 6 oz is NOT a hair trigger. It may seem so if you've only shot 3 lb triggers.

Years ago, I shot 10 m indoor on Thursdays with an old fellow who had competed in many pistol disciplines ... all bullseye comps. One was Free Pistol. Interesting equipment. The grip wraps completely around your hand but can't touch the wrist. The triggers are VERY light to allow sending the 22 rimfire bullets with great precision while holding offhand (one hand, for pistol). He had wrapped a tiny spring around the trigger blade with the end of the wire protruding forward and sharpened it to a point so when you went to pull the trigger, you were touching the point. The trigger was so light, he said that was the only way he could actually feel it before the break. It was below 1 oz for sure. I shot it and don't know if I needed the point to feel it THEN, at my age and in those conditions, but could definitely see the scenario where it would be a good thing. A very light touch would send it. He claimed his wasn't very light compared to some.

The double set trigger I mentioned earlier is similar, though may be slightly heavier. They are typically sigle stage when SET. THESE are what I would consider "hair" triggers.

Bob

Thanks qball.

Steve 123...

Your Steyr was nowhere near 3 oz...lol. It was also inconsistent .

Several have mentioned "hair" triggers but 3, 4, or 6 oz is NOT a hair trigger. It may seem so if you've only shot 3 lb triggers.

Years ago, I shot 10 m indoor on Thursdays with an old fellow who had competed in many pistol disciplines ... all bullseye comps. One was Free Pistol. Interesting equipment. The grip wraps completely around your hand but can't touch the wrist. The triggers are VERY light to allow sending the 22 rimfire bullets with great precision while holding offhand (one hand, for pistol). He had wrapped a tiny spring around the trigger blade with the end of the wire protruding forward and sharpened it to a point so when you went to pull the trigger, you were touching the point. The trigger was so light, he said that was the only way he could actually feel it before the break. It was below 1 oz for sure. I shot it and don't know if I needed the point to feel it THEN, at my age and in those conditions, but could definitely see the scenario where it would be a good thing. A very light touch would send it. He claimed his wasn't very light compared to some.

The double set trigger I mentioned earlier is similar, though may be slightly heavier. They are typically sigle stage when SET. THESE are what I would consider "hair" triggers.

Bob

Yes, I guess its a matter of perspective as to what defines a "hair trigger".

A Bobby trigger has a certain meaning - smile.

Edit, during the time I had my Steyr LG100 I also had two 6mmPPC benchrest rifles with 2oz Jewel triggers, at least that's what the guy I bought these rifles from said they went off at. I didn't have a trigger gauge at the time so...??? but the Steyr's trigger was slightly heavier and definitely more crisp than those Jewel's. It wasn't until either the trigger sear set screw loosened, or the sear wore in, that it became inconsistent and once readjusted it was crisp again and consistent as well.

AZ tuned! Best 2 stage, have no clue if it’s a true 2 stage or not? But it was light and predictable
EB4FD3CD-1A4D-4749-8AFE-6CE85949C605.jpeg