• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's the best price for Athlon Cronus BTR?

Maybe look at the 4.5-30 FFP Delta Stryker at edgun west. Every bit as good as the Athlon (better glass according to some reviews) and looks to be around $200 cheaper at edgun west.

Mine blew my mind when I looked through it and it's mechanically perfect.

https://youtu.be/Q1ldMtOoOwI

This one is a good video discussing the delta vs other scopes and directly comparing the delta and athlon.

Cyclops has a good video on the delta as well although his camera equipment doesn't do the optics justice by a long shot.

I’ve order a Tier One Monomount with a 20MOA/6.6Mil incline which should be enough for me, especially with the 34Mils of adjustment that my Cronus offers. The mount should arrive tomorrow and then I can have a play with the scope and see how it dials etc.

Check out Tier One. They are based over here in Europe and they make some great mounts/pic rails and bipods:

https://tier-one-usa.com/products/monomount-short?variant=27182492677

Tested both the Athlon Cronus and the Delta Stryker and ended up buying the Delta and then a second one. Excellent scope! Probably not the best scope in the world but so far I haven't found any other scope as good as this one for a comparable price. It certainly competes with scopes that are 1000$ more expensive! Tested it against the Razor (which I was a big fan of) and definitely couldn't justify the price difference. You must give the Razor an edge over the Stryker as far as the feeling of the turrets is concerned and their lifetime warranty. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Stryker's turrets and their 10 years warranty, either.

Yo, when you get ready to buy contact me.

Here's a Cronus story about a friend I have that's heavy into PRS precision rifle matches. 

This guy bought a Cronus BTR and had used it for a few years. He had a new rifle built last year and got what some consider the best of the best in tactical scopes which was a ZCO 5-27. He would always comment to me how much he liked his Cronus and especially for the price he paid. It had never let him down and it ended up on his Vudoo 22rf trainer which he uses in NRL22. In fact the last match we went to a few months ago he was bragging on it and the month before he won the match.

The ZCO had a problem so he had to send it back. Still not right he sent it back again, they sent him a new scope. He's happy with it now but $3600??? 

I had one of the first 4 Cronus in the country and used it for 3 months on different rifles. It had great glass, I liked the reticle, and it had few faults, mainly the turret feel. I sent it to another guy doing reviews. He used it all year in matches with no problems.

I got a Cronus BTR too but decided the reticle wasn't what I wanted so I sold it, it had nice glass and decent turrets. 

The Stryker - I hate numbers right off the vertical crosshair when I'm holding over/off so it's a nogo for me, but at least they put .2's in the vertical crosshair so that's a plus. 

It's the oring in the cronus and delta turrets that make them a little 'softer' feeling and sounding than those on say a sightron S3 or the Razor. Nothing to do with mushy/sloppy internals.

As was mentioned here by kezselby you can sometimes take the oring out and change the feel. It's a design choice rather than a cop out though. The reason they put it in is to make the force required per click more uniform and predictable. Some people find that when quickly adjusting the turret on scopes with very sharp/crisp clicks the initial force required is relatively high, with the next few clicks being much easier (and somewhat quieter sound wise) due to the internal detents not quite reseating fully as the turret turns, thus making it quite easy to accidentally skip/miss a few clicks. With the oring you sacrifice some of the sharp feel but the slight added resistance is supposed to help.

As long as the turrets are consistent and accurate long term and the clicks are 'solid' I personally don't really care about how 'crisp' they are. I haven't found issues with either type of turret myself although I don't much like noisy turrets and don't count clicks by sound. In the end if I miscount it's me not concentrating rather than any issue detecting less prominent clicks on the turret. An acquaintance with an SB PM2 (very sharp/crisp clicks) does claim to have issues with missed clicks on occasion if he fails to be measured in his adjustments. Like much of our equipment a lot is personal preference rather than set in stone.