• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's the best first pcp air rifle for hunting?

the AT44 was the better rifle straight out of the box.the mrods were ok but declining shot string dropped off real low beyond 16 shots.the AT44s had a good curve to the shot string over 18 shots.both are very capable of doing what you want.i like the side lever now over the Benjamin bolt the mags are simple on the AT44S.the hatsans are cheaper and shoot as good as the mrods.the QE AT44 is pretty quiet and the mrods are quiet also...the mrod has many aftermarket parts to hop it up,if you like to tinker on air rifles the mrod would be the way to go but if you ant to take it out sight it in and hunt with the rifle the AT44 would be the I would go if I had to do it all over again.then I buy the FX streamline and only use it so far this summer.

You've owned 3 of the 4 main guns that I'm considering! we can continue our conversation through text

Consider this; unless you don't have enough cash to get what you want, don't buy an "entry level" gun that isn't what you expect to wind up with; get exactly what you want from the start. I will never understand why people feel they have to "work their way up" to what they really want. It is just a waste of money and time. unless you want to become a gun collector, get the gun you want to use the rest of your life, the first time. The only reasons to get something less is If what you want is not available or you are not sure you will stick with air gunning, then just get whatever is cheap and use it until you lose interest or what you really want becomes available. Pretty much all the guns you mentioned will get the job done, but if you want to hunt in the field, get something light!

I shot my one and only first gun for almost 60 years, a .20 Sheridan, I didn't know there was anything better until a friend told me about PCPs and he talked me into a Marauder .25. I got one and it was very accurate compared tp my Sheridan, but it weighed as much as my M-14 military rifle....No fun to carry in the field and it used a lot of air. Keep in mind that PCPs are not trouble free, (yet)....they will require too-frequent and often expensive repair work.....they leak air and parts fail....with few exceptions. The more bells/whistles, features, the more problems.

Reactions: 2manyAirGunz
Consider this; unless you don't have enough cash to get what you want, don't buy an "entry level" gun that isn't what you expect to wind up with; get exactly what you want from the start. I will never understand why people feel they have to "work their way up" to what they really want. It is just a waste of money and time. unless you want to become a gun collector, get the gun you want to use the rest of your life, the first time. The only reasons to get something less is If what you want is not available or you are not sure you will stick with air gunning, then just get whatever is cheap and use it until you lose interest or what you really want becomes available. Pretty much all the guns you mentioned will get the job done, but if you want to hunt in the field, get something light!

I shot my one and only first gun for almost 60 years, a .20 Sheridan, I didn't know there was anything better until a friend told me about PCPs and he talked me into a Marauder .25. I got one and it was very accurate compared tp my Sheridan, but it weighed as much as my M-14 military rifle....No fun to carry in the field and it used a lot of air. Keep in mind that PCPs are not trouble free, (yet)....they will require too-frequent and often expensive repair work.....they leak air and parts fail....with few exceptions. The more bells/whistles, features, the more problems.

I'm 16 and still in high school so I don't have a job but I make $5 a day doing a bunch of chores. So getting the best airgun out there isn't quite possible yet. I'm mainly looking for something that I can hunt with out of the box and maybe make some modifications later on if I want to. I don't mind saving up for a better gun as I'm not in a rush to make my final decision but I wouldn't mind an entry level or midway gun. I'd also like to be backyard friendly

MannyR - first and foremost, I commend you on working towards a purchase. Good to see young adults working and saving to make their own purchase.

As a mid 40's adult, I have other commitments for money I earn. I would love to own an FX with a high end scope. That's just not a reality for me. And I'm okay with that. I still get to enjoy the sport.

I own a Gauntlet in .22 caliber. It's on the heavy side but I have become comfortable with it. I find it to be deadly on groundhogs under 75 yards. It's a blast to shoot at the range. Very quiet for the backyard as well. This is not a top end gun by far, but it works for me and I'm happy with it.

If you buy your own rifle and it does not come with a scope, send me a PM. I have an extra scope lying around that I can give you.

Dude I can tell you right now these guys that tell you not to buy an entry or mid range gun are just elitist. I am 36 years old and my favorite guns are budget and mid range. My condor cost me over 900 with a couple mods and that's considered mid range. My dads gamo urban is very accurate. I mean very accurate. If you are making 5 dollars a day I would reccomend saving up for at least that one. 270 bucks right now but wait for black friday I suspect it will be 220 again. Also the cheap 40 dollar hand pump from ali express or ebay will in fact work fine. Ive used mine for over a year. Also there is nothing wrong with a good crosman 392 170 dollars. A Benjamin maximus can be a good budget rifle as well. The important thing is to get out and shoot. However. A Benjamin maximus has power and shot count limits that can be annoying when dreaming about a regulated fx. Id get the gamo and save for a huma regulator. Join a local shooting club and they can help you install it. I swear to god I outshoot guys with fx all the time. Thier guns are probably more accurate at longer ranges but if they dont know thier gun, its not tuned or if they have no idea how to calculate drops etc it doesn't matter. I can promise you the urban will be more accurate than you are for years. It will kill rabbits, turkey and up to racoons and small pigs with proper shot placement. Im buying another one. I wont reccomend what I dont shoot. 

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_Stormrider_Multi_shot_PCP_Air_Rifle/4449

If you're on a tight budget, I'd get this. It's got a moderator. I can tell you how to re-arrange the baffles to make it MUCH quieter. It's already not bad out of the box. If you want a regulator down the road, you can get one. Trigger can be improved with an allen key and a spring out of a retractable ink pen. Solid base gun. I was telling you about the pistol version I have and have done extensive tuning on. Easily the most fun gun I own. I'd get one of these, too, but I have too many guns as is. (seriously) Reviews talk about bolt handles breaking on this and my gun. But they don't anymore. Mine is a newer version, they made revisions a couple months back. I shoot a lot, and the bolt handle is solid as a rock

You'd probably want this, too. Handy, but not 100% necessary. https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Diana_Fill_Valve_and_Gauge_Assembly_for_Bandit_Stormrider/9034

MannyR - first and foremost, I commend you on working towards a purchase. Good to see young adults working and saving to make their own purchase.

As a mid 40's adult, I have other commitments for money I earn. I would love to own an FX with a high end scope. That's just not a reality for me. And I'm okay with that. I still get to enjoy the sport.

I own a Gauntlet in .22 caliber. It's on the heavy side but I have become comfortable with it. I find it to be deadly on groundhogs under 75 yards. It's a blast to shoot at the range. Very quiet for the backyard as well. This is not a top end gun by far, but it works for me and I'm happy with it.

If you buy your own rifle and it does not come with a scope, send me a PM. I have an extra scope lying around that I can give you.

I've heard lots of good things about the gauntlet! I'm definitely doing my best to make some extra money any way that I can and to save up my pennies. I truly appreciate the offer and I'll message you when I come to my final decision!

Dude I can tell you right now these guys that tell you not to buy an entry or mid range gun are just elitist. I am 36 years old and my favorite guns are budget and mid range. My condor cost me over 900 with a couple mods and that's considered mid range. My dads gamo urban is very accurate. I mean very accurate. If you are making 5 dollars a day I would reccomend saving up for at least that one. 270 bucks right now but wait for black friday I suspect it will be 220 again. Also the cheap 40 dollar hand pump from ali express or ebay will in fact work fine. Ive used mine for over a year. Also there is nothing wrong with a good crosman 392 170 dollars. A Benjamin maximus can be a good budget rifle as well. The important thing is to get out and shoot. However. A Benjamin maximus has power and shot count limits that can be annoying when dreaming about a regulated fx. Id get the gamo and save for a huma regulator. Join a local shooting club and they can help you install it. I swear to god I outshoot guys with fx all the time. Thier guns are probably more accurate at longer ranges but if they dont know thier gun, its not tuned or if they have no idea how to calculate drops etc it doesn't matter. I can promise you the urban will be more accurate than you are for years. It will kill rabbits, turkey and up to racoons and small pigs with proper shot placement. Im buying another one. I wont reccomend what I dont shoot.

I'm certainly still considering the entry to mid range guns! I was leaning towards a refurbished at44s-10 qe for round $390. According to my math and where my financials are at right now, I'll be able to afford a rifle in about 44 days or so as long as I continue doing my work and on time, which is what I plan on and definitely will be doing. I'm not in much of a rush and am willing to wait and save up for an at44. I recently had a surgery on my chest so unfortunately I won't be able to use a pump for a long time until I've recovered enough. Is there any good value tanks or compressors that you would recommend to be my first?

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_Stormrider_Multi_shot_PCP_Air_Rifle/4449

If you're on a tight budget, I'd get this. It's got a moderator. I can tell you how to re-arrange the baffles to make it MUCH quieter. It's already not bad out of the box. If you want a regulator down the road, you can get one. Trigger can be improved with an allen key and a spring out of a retractable ink pen. Solid base gun. I was telling you about the pistol version I have and have done extensive tuning on. Easily the most fun gun I own. I'd get one of these, too, but I have too many guns as is. (seriously) Reviews talk about bolt handles breaking on this and my gun. But they don't anymore. Mine is a newer version, they made revisions a couple months back. I shoot a lot, and the bolt handle is solid as a rock

You'd probably want this, too. Handy, but not 100% necessary. https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Diana_Fill_Valve_and_Gauge_Assembly_for_Bandit_Stormrider/9034

I'm on the path to a Refurbished at44s-10 qe! I did the calculations and I'll be able to afford a refurbished one in about 44 days for around 390. I'll also have some money left over to reinvest into flipping some random stuff online and hopefully be able to afford a source of air quicker. I'm not in a rush to buy a pcp and I'm willing to wait a while and save a few months until I'll be able to get something that will satisfy me for a long time. I'll do some research on the gen 2 storm rider and see if it can change my mind!

I'm certainly still considering the entry to mid range guns! I was leaning towards a refurbished at44s-10 qe for round $390. According to my math and where my financials are at right now, I'll be able to afford a rifle in about 44 days or so as long as I continue doing my work and on time, which is what I plan on and definitely will be doing. I'm not in much of a rush and am willing to wait and save up for an at44. I recently had a surgery on my chest so unfortunately I won't be able to use a pump for a long time until I've recovered enough. Is there any good value tanks or compressors that you would recommend to be my first?

Walmart Online has the Yong Heng type 4500 psi compressor for $209 with free shipping. You can fill the gun directly in just about 20-30 seconds on an AT44 (I have the AT44 long QE in .25 cal). I found this gun for sale on line a few months ago for only $399 with the wood stock, from an authorized dealer listing on Ebay. It is a bit heavy as airguns go, but shoots very well right out of the box, no "tuning"... I get 985 fps in .25 about half way through the shot count. It's not a regulated gun and won't give you "hole-in-hole" repeatability, but the accuracy is more than good enough for small game hunting.

I'm on the path to a Refurbished at44s-10 qe! I did the calculations and I'll be able to afford a refurbished one in about 44 days for around 390. I'll also have some money left over to reinvest into flipping some random stuff online and hopefully be able to afford a source of air quicker. I'm not in a rush to buy a pcp and I'm willing to wait a while and save a few months until I'll be able to get something that will satisfy me for a long time. I'll do some research on the gen 2 storm rider and see if it can change my mind!

Sound like the ticket 🙂 just keep in mind the weight. Having a light gun if you plan to do a lot of different types of shooting and lugging around will improve the experience SIGNIFICANTLY. Hatsans are notoriously heavy. The at44s is 4.5 pounds heavier than the Diana. Doesn't sound like much, but I do a lot of heavy lifting at work. And I'm saying it is, haha. Especially once you throw a scope and bipod on there. It's gona be a tank. My crown just shy of 7lbs is about perfect. The hatsan is 9.5 with no sights 😬 The storm rider is 5 lbs and has sights on it 🤷 

I almost got a. 25 at44 because it was so cheap. a Lil over $230. So, if you're set on it, keep your eyes on ebay, they can be had for a good bit less than 390 👍 I wouldnt get a used one though, with the issues I hear about hatsan barrels (some are great, some are not people say). Best of luck either way! Also, I have one of the $40 hand pumps off ebay and it's flawless. I have a compressor too, but my Diana is so easy to pump, I never throw it on the compressor. Literally never. The compressor takes longer 😂 but it's wonderful for my fx crown 

Dude...check the Classified section every single day. Excellent pcp rifles/bullpups are posted all the time and it's first come first served. You can move up in quality if you are willing to trust a forum member (be sure to see if they have member feedback...that the best insurance).

Otherwise, grab the one that suits you from your list. The .25 is the best distance shooter...packs a wallop at 100 yards with heavy pellets or light slugs. The benefit of the Marauder is the incredible number of parts, accessories, service, repair, advice available to you on-line. There's a learning curve with pcp air rifles, so get one that has LOTS of owners with lots of advice!!!

Hoot

I have to nominate the Benjamin Gen2 Fortitude in .22. It is the maurauder, except cheaper in price. Look for a discount code from either crosman or pyramid air. The mods are simple to take a entry level regulated rifle into a very competent hunting rig. My mods were two 4/40 screws for the trigger. A magpul ctr rubber butt pad. A neoprene cheek riser. A pictinney bipod mount. Dense memory foam squished into the buttstock. I got the rifle from crosman using there discount code at 25%. It is a sub 250.00 rifle that gets squirrels. Very accurate and light with a fine trigger. 
1566427096_16720623655d5dc7d86f86b8.78669014_6DF2CA25-ACF0-44CE-8BC1-7EC902053964.jpeg

For light weight power, accuracy, adjustable regulator.low and high power knob, 60+ shots per fill, slug shooter or pellets, and well under 300$ ATI Nova Liberty in synthetic .22 cal.. All 3 of mine shot less than 1" groups at 50 Yards and hit with 40 FPE with 18.53 gr H&N Baracuda Extreme pellets but hold even tighter groups with Daisy 15 gr hollow points and shot over 1000 FPS. Use code HARDAIR20 for 20% off the 299.99$ for synthetic or 349.99$ for wood stock but a little heavier. Synthetic is around 6 lbs or less and has a fill pressure to 4350 but 36-3800 gives best results from mine. Low power on a stock set up still produces over 700 FPS and on high 900+.

.2nd choice for a buck 50 more is the Hatsan Bullboss in .25. Heavier by at least 3 lbs but 15 more FPE at around 55 FP.. Easier to fill with a hand pump @ 2900 PSI but not nearly the shot count. 9 shot mags VS 10 shot Marauder and Gauntlet style mags you can get on Amazon for 10$ ea. They both are very accurate but the Liberty will win that contest hands down. There seem to be some who claim to have had problems with their Liberties, but i really believe that this is due to extreme modifications to the power adjustment valve on the side of the rifle. Even the man who posted the video later posted another not to drill it to 3/16" because it didn't leave enough material to support all the pressure going thru it and it was blowing apart, plus leaking poppet valve is due to hot rodding the gun. Real all they need to do is a couple washers behind the hammer spring and adjust the regulator to the perfect speed for the pellet you want and best accuracy and it's a win win win. Anyway I shot a lot and have had zero problems with any of them. The Bullboss today for the first time ever sounded like the moderator quit working on a few shots but I believe I just have to turn the hammer screw back a turn or 2 to stop that.

All this being said the are all superb guns and I would highly recommend them for their price point, power and most importantly accuracy. Check out the video on YouTube..Nova.Liberty v/s FX Crown...You decide...Sub 300$ or 1800$... American Tactical 1-800-290-0065 Also check out Seneca Aspen in .22 or .25 built in pump same mags and features as Liberty except reg non adjustable 399.99$. My Bullboss was 417.99$ Hope this saves you some cash and frustration. I wouldn't have a grand wrapped up in a .22 Gauntlet that I still don't like that much if I would have known about the Liberty first..100% But now the .25 Gauntlet is out and lots of people love it...It will require work to get it right but they mostly all do to a point and that's part of the fun. Hope this helps good luck.