• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's the best first pcp air rifle for hunting?

Between the Benjamin Marauder .25, and Umarex Gauntlet .25 (new competitors: Hatsan AT44S-10 Long QE .25 and Diana Outlaw .25), which would you recommend to be my first pcp air rifle? I'll mainly be using it for pest control and hunting small to medium sized game and mostly in a desert environment. Please do not take price between these rifles into consideration. Other rifles you might suggest within this price range would be appreciated.

I don’t have any hands on experience with the rifles on your list other than the Marauder for the hunting you are considering i would go with the lightest one what’s more important is to get a decent scope Both the marauder and Gauntlet have many blogs on how to improve their shooting and performance. Remember since this is your first PCP you need to get a source for the air , this can be the most costly part of the sport, so check it out completely so you can do it all up front.

Weight isn't an issue since I've gotten used to carrying my heavy break barrel around and I'll likely be using a bipod for whichever pcp I go with. I have also already calculated the pricing for each of these rifles. If I decide on the marauder, I'll go with the hunter combo on airgun depot that comes with a scope, an air tank, and a sling. for the other two rifles, the pricing will be similar after i buy a separate tank and scope. how was your experience with the marauder? what did you like and dislike about it? 

I don’t have any hands on experience with the rifles on your list other than the Marauder for the hunting you are considering i would go with the lightest one what’s more important is to get a decent scope Both the marauder and Gauntlet have many blogs on how to improve their shooting and performance. Remember since this is your first PCP you need to get a source for the air , this can be the most costly part of the sport, so check it out completely so you can do it all up front.

Weight isn't an issue since I've gotten used to carrying my heavy break barrel around and I'll likely be using a bipod for whichever pcp I go with. I have also already calculated the pricing for each of these rifles. If I decide on the marauder, I'll go with the hunter combo on airgun depot that comes with a scope, an air tank, and a sling. for the other two rifles, the pricing will be similar after i buy a separate tank and scope. how was your experience with the marauder? what did you like and dislike about it? 

I have the gauntlet in 25 and yes it's a fat pig to carry, but super easily tuned to get what u need. I have it shooting 25 gr jsb at 930 fps paired with a 400cc tank. It is currently 1 inch groups at a 100 yards. I did do some other cleaning up on it to get it to be smooth, but I don't mind doing the work. Oh almost forgot it will shoot the nsa 33.5 gr slugs with good accuracy

For my first PCP I am strongly leaning towards the Diana outlaw in 22. Basically looks like a inexpensive Baystate Huntsman regal and has very good reviews. Not quite as pimped out but seems like a solid performer.

I haven't heard about that one yet. I'll definitely watch a few videos on it and do some research about it. What are some pros and cons that you've heard about the gun so far?

Hard to go wrong with the Marauder. They are a bit heavy. (synthetic is lighter)

I don't mind a heavy rifle that much. What do you like and dislike about the marauder?

About the only thing I don't like is the bolt action-it works fine but I'd love to see a sidelever version. My Gen1 .25 would only get 16 really consistent shots per fill which was kind of limiting in target rich situations. I recommend Tim Hill's lighter hammer and spring combo for more shots per fill, I have my .25 Gen 1 tuned at around 770 fps with JSB Kings and I'm getting 40 shots from a 2800 psi fill. I use my .25 for some long range pesting and it's nice to have the higher shot count so I can take a sighter shot to read the wind. If you don't mind the weight I'd get the wood stocked version, I had a Gen 2 .25 in synthetic and I didn't care for it.

What I like is- Great trigger after disabling the "lawyer spring", high shot count after Hill hammer and spring, Good out of the box accuracy, easy to work on, huge array of aftermarket mods, simple proven platform.

What are you planning on hunting?

I'll most likely be hunting, rats, chipmunks, crows, doves, pigeons, rabbits, house sparrows, starlings, and hopefully some medium sized game in the future.

If you are going to go after some medium sized game I would opt for .25 cal Marauder, Gauntlet or Bullboss would be my choices

I have the gauntlet in 25 and yes it's a fat pig to carry, but super easily tuned to get what u need. I have it shooting 25 gr jsb at 930 fps paired with a 400cc tank. It is currently 1 inch groups at a 100 yards. I did do some other cleaning up on it to get it to be smooth, but I don't mind doing the work. Oh almost forgot it will shoot the nsa 33.5 gr slugs with good accuracy

How much did the modifications cost and what were they? What would you have to do the the gun to allow it to shoot slugs? Change only the barrel? I wouldn't mind doing the work either, seems pretty fun actually lol.

I have both and while they are quite comparable in performance here are a few things you might like to know.

The forearm on the Gauntlet is a waste of plastic. It's bulky and makes the gun cumbersome to shoulder off-hand. I threw it away...

That being said, my M-Rod is now slightly heavier than my Gauntlet.

Marauder mags (even though they are identical to the Gauntlet) historically cost more and are more problematic, so just buy Gauntlet mags.

The Gauntlet sling set-up is a joke and it will not carry well in the woods.

I prefer the Gauntlet bolt over the M-Rod but they both could be much better.

The M-Rod feels more robust and the Gauntlet feels cheap but I still love shooting them both.

My Gauntlet has a larger bottle and I enjoy the extra shots. No real way to add extra air to the M-Rod that I've seen. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Just a few of my observations. I hope you found something to help you in your decision.

-brian

I'm not sure what you've heard about accuracy issues. Crosman did receive a batch of .22 barrels many years ago which had virtually no choke. However that is not the case now. 

What you HAVEN'T heard is Crosman assembles AND accuracy test each rifle before it goes out the door and the test target is included.

That's called Quality Control. Their Customer Service is second to none. They answer the phone or return your call promptly, they speak English as a first language and they are genuinely nice people.

Umarex doesn't do that.... Hatsan doesn't and Gamo doesn't either...... 

And in .25 I think I read or heard Crosman makes their barrels in house now. (If this statement is inaccurate please confirm). They were using Green Mountain to make their barrels only for the 25. 

The .25's I've had in both Gen 1 and Gen 2 have been stellar performers. Yeah, they aren't regulated but can be, the shot count is around 25 as a result (and BTW by installing a reg you will give up some power for more shots) 

And as was mentioned, the trigger is one of the best on a gun under a grand. 

If you do decide to get a Marauder..... get the JSB .25.39g and just shoot it.... Fill it up to the recommended 2700 psi for best power curve and enjoy. If it ain't broke,..... 

IMO, great value. You don't see them for sale used hardly at all. Wonder why???? 😉