• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's that burning smell? HW97

Ya, they can stink... My R9 had it .

I thought the seal was dry and rubbing / friction burning in the cylinder ...

I don't know it lasted about 8 months and the spring brok in like 5 spots but disassemble looked to have plenty of lube .. new spring , seal, throughy cleaned out of old lube and krytox stopped that smell..lol

Reactions: ITACUD
HW95L 2020 vintage seal damaged by dieseling.

1659396243359.png

• Wow
It will work maybe years maybe months.

Funny the pricing and praise and you see guys fixing them new always tinkering , gallon of loctite tool kit handy,ect...

I jokingly say you know why the germans lost the war ?...... They could not figure out how to keep the screws tight...lol😁

I got a gamo shot religiously i mean alot never had to take a tool to it for going on 4 years. 209$

The R9 at 400+. Constantly got to do somthing . I just had it apart today " fixing" it. I call it the Edsel ( like the ford edsel). Spends as much time on the shop bench as the shooting bench. Thats after i had to spend another 70$ to fix the broken spring and bad seal in less then a year. Sure makes a gamo a heluva deal😉

r9quailityspring.jpg

quailtyR9mainspring...jpg

r9 piston quality .jpg

r9 seal.jpg

I don't really want to rip apart my gun to wipe off extra grease and reassemble it, especially considering I don't know how and paid a good price for quality german equipment. I'll keep shooting it, and if it fails, I will have learned my lesson and have nothing nice to say about them. If it works out, I will keep loving them.
Luckily for you they come with a lifetime warranty for people who don't want to open them up. Shoot it and have some fun!

At aoa if you replace just the breech seal you void the warranty..

For example

Special tooling is required to install. Service should be performed by a trained technician. Non-approved service will void factory warranty.

Also i sent the first 2 bermans back they were so awful and should of took the refund on the 3ed i have now to be honest.

You got a great gun , but they need tlc and nickles and dimes to keep it up and going.

Last edited:
At aoa if you replace just the breech seal you void the warranty..

For example

Special tooling is required to install. Service should be performed by a trained technician. Non-approved service will void factory warranty.

Also i sent the first 2 bermans back they were so awful and should of took the refund on the 3ed i have now to be honest.

You got a great gun , but they need tlc and nickles and dimes to keep it up and going.

Thats just a disclaimer just in case someone does something stupid I think. AoA has been known to ship out entire barrel assemblies under warranty just to avoid having to do the work themselves or pay return shipping.

I think you're being a little hard on them here regardless. They're still the best built springers on the market hands down. Most of us don't take them apart because we have to. I think I can safely say most people do it because they like doing it. It makes the gun feel more like their own instead of "just another springer".

Most of mine have been taken apart, cleaned, lubed, and set at whatever power level I was going for, and thats it. Not one has cost me more than $120 in parts and some didn't cost a penny more than the little bit of lube I used. Not once have I had to take one back apart due to anything breaking. I shoot them a ton too. My 95 alone ate 5 tins between this weekend and last weekend. My .22 97K is pushing 15-20k shots at this point since I've done what I wanted to do to it.

As far as your Gamo comment goes... I have two. The .177 popped the piston 3 months in and both of them have been converted to single shot because the loading mechanisms broke not once, but twice. My .22 Magnums lockup is so loose that it has noticeable side to side play. Most guns you could just tighten that up, but not a Gamo. It's a pressed in pin that just wears the plastic breech block out over time. I have maybe 5k shots through that gun.

In my experience, a little smoke after the shot is not going to harm anything and will go away after a couple tins usually. A loud bang at firing is a different story. I had a couple HWs that dieseled badly when new and a year later had broken springs. I always believed there was a connection.
A loud pop like a gun shot is detonation. Often heard when dry fired. Dieseling is just smoking. Yes excessive dieseling can burn out seals and shorten spring life. Detonation will break springs. My experience is Weihrauch springs don't last a long time with normal heavy use. My first two Weihrauchs didn't last a whole year before breaking their springs. I'm gonna guess 10-15k shots on each.

All you can do is just shoot it . Like mycap65 says factory springs can go quick with higher shot count regular use guns. And no im not hard on anything i just call it as i see it . I dont buy the gamo gimmick guns anuway.. just the normal cock load and shoot one..

Ive never had a hw underlever , but the break barrel guns are easy and simple to take apart so in a hour a guy can take it down , wipe ot clean and proper lube it with moly or do a through chean job removing all carbon lubes and use krytox. With it no detonation and butter smooth vs moly. But ya i think for the money there demanding on the guns hw kinda leaves you feeling short changed in this area. Like buy a new car just to rebuild its motor when you get it home...lol

Ya got a great gun it's just a hw thing to contend and deal with. May last a good long time and just smell after a shot. GTA forum got that german gate to review and look over. Lot of hw guys in it .

I don't really want to rip apart my gun to wipe off extra grease and reassemble it, especially considering I don't know how and paid a good price for quality german equipment. I'll keep shooting it, and if it fails, I will have learned my lesson and have nothing nice to say about them. If it works out, I will keep loving them.
There's a big difference between just smelling some lube burning and serious dieseling. If the rifle
sounds like a rimfire every time you shoot it I'd recommend breaking the rifle down and cleaning
out the excessive lube. If it's not and just a slight whisp of smoke comes out of the barrel when
you blow through it you're good to go as that is normal for a new rifle. Give it a tin or two of pellets
and it will improve.

Its really not
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try and shoot out the smell so to speak. I have started reviewing YouTube vids on disassembly in case I just can't take it anymore,. It's not as difficult as I imagined.
Its not difficult at all once you know how to do it. I did my buddies 97K piston seal and a Vortek kit after a match, on the ground, and without a compressor in like 20 minutes. I can do it faster now.

Word of warning though: That factory spring is under a decent amount of preload. A homemade compressor is cheap and definitely recommended. If you opt to go forward without one, take your time and make sure that end cap isn't pointed at you or anything important just in case your hand slips. The spring will push it hard enough to send it aways with enough force to do some damage.