• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's Quieter Than A Sumo?

I have the DonnyFL Emperor and Huggett Magna among others but these are the quietest moderators I have short of being custom made for any specific gun. I prefer the Hugget because it's not as heavy but it's just a personal preference both are super duper effective in quiet. They are sooo quiet it seems like the guns are broken. Yo

Depends on the gun your shooting....I have a DonnyFL shogun on my Benjamin Marauder and its is whisper quite....I can then take the same moderator and put it on my FX impact and it definitely quiet, enough to be backyard friendly....

I agree with this 100%. The quietness of the moderator is 100% dependent on how many FPE your gun is producing, and how high the reg pressure is set. I have a DonnyFL Ronin on my regulated .25 AF Condor. It was generating 70 fpe. The moderator did a great job of quieting the bark of the gun. Then I bumped up the reg pressure to get the slugs I was shooting up to 80 fpe. The difference in volume was SIGNIFICANT! It went from backyard friendly to NOT backyard friendly. There's another guy on here who attested to the same issue with his DonnyFL moderator. He convinced me to purchase the Gladiator CF moderator. I'm 99% sure the internals of the moderator are 3D printed, because it has air tubes that redirect the airflow backwards onto itself after the projectile has passed by. It essentially uses it's own back pressure air to stop the excess forward moving air. It's a BRILLIANT design. He said that his gun is also generating 80fpe, and with the Gladius moderator he can shoot the gun in his small basement and it's nice and quiet. The moderators are built to order. I ordered mine last Saturday. They take 2 weeks to make and arrive onto your doorstep. I'm super excited to test it out. Not only is is carbon fiber (so it's lighter than the Ronin), but it has a smaller profile as well. 

DonnyFL makes great moderators. The Emperor is a beast. But put the Emperor on a .25 air rifle generating 60fpe, then move it to a Texan in .308 that is generating 250+ fpe and see the difference. It's all up to preference. Just my $.02

I find that the Tanto and Tatsu are just as quiet as the Sumo for my .22 cal guns up to 45 FPE. My experience is the extra length and volume of the Sumo are only needed for .25 cal and above. I imagine the same goes for the bigger bores. I bet a bigger moderator doesn't do much if anything to quiet a .25 cal more than a sumo does. Putting an Emperor on it won't really make a difference. Those giant moderators really earn their size when attached to giant powered guns.

1589121098_12563326145eb8104a4fbdd9.40120062.jpg
I have 2 moderators made by Neil Clague that do an excellent job.

One is on my TalonP, 10" that makes it not just backyard friendly, but I can shoot it inside the house into the yard. It handles up to 74 fpe and does a good job with my other bottle when it bumps it up to 105fpe+, but I don't use that in the backyard or from inside the house lol.

2nd (pictured) is 8" on my .25 Kral, and again not only backyard friendly, but stupid quiet. With the short barrel and shroud being removed, it's a pretty loud gun, even regulated and with efficient tune. Clague moderator on it you seriously only hear the pellet hitting target or pest

I have a DonnyFL Ronin which is a good moderator to, but doesn't take as much of the bark out of the Kral as the Clague does.

I do have a Koi on my .22 Kral that I am more than satisfied with

I tried a ramus technologies moderator in .25 and was disappointed in its performance, and that will probably be my last attempt with new designs until someone comes up with one that can really work.

To me if you absolutely have to have it quiet Neil Clague is the way to go. I cannot say enough about how well his designs perform.