What's like a Leopold VX Freedom 3-9 EFR but with Mildots?

The 3-9 EFR is one of my favorite airgun scopes. Most of my shooting is pretty close distances and I eventually got over wanting to get the biggest scopes out there. Lately I've really been liking the lighter scopes with smaller objectives. 

So what's out there that is light (less than a pound), short (around 12 inches or shorter), with 32 -33 mm objectives, and mildot? 

I already have the Optisan CP 3-12 X 32 (but its heavier). Anything else you like?

I've tried/have the Tac Vector Veyron, Hawke 4 x AO, 2-7 AO. 

Optisan CP 3-12

I've tried a bunch of compact scopes as you have(discovery vt3, vector Veyron,hawke2-7). The line that has me intrigued are the immersive optics compact prismatic scopes. I honestly think these are the next big thing for compact/light. That said I haven't laid hands on one but the reviews look promising! 

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/immersive-optics-10x24-md/

Thanks guys. I shoot mostly under 50 yards so would need parallax down to 10 yards. Those immersive scopes are pretty cool looking I just know nothing really about them. I'll probably succumb to my addiction like always and get one at some point lol. Wonder why they aren't more popular? Or maybe they are and I don't know. I wonder if its weird maybe to get the scope that far back. 

Those immersive scopes are pretty cool looking I just know nothing really about them. I'll probably succumb to my addiction like always and get one at some point lol. Wonder why they aren't more popular? Or maybe they are and I don't know. I wonder if its weird maybe to get the scope that far back.

They are supposedly releasing 80mm eye relief versions in the 5x line. I'll be curious to see how much FOV they give up compared to the current 45mm eye relief models.

Leupold at one time made what you described except that it has a 40 mm objective and is in 4-12 and 6-18 configurations. That is the Mark AR Mod 1…essentially the Mark AR version of the VX-II lineup with better features. The AO of the 4-12 goes down to 25 yd via the markings but I’ve found mine actually focuses down to about 17.5 yards on 12X. Anything closer I want on 4X anyway and it’s very good down to about 5-7 yards on 4X. The 6-18 only focuses down to 50 yards although again mine focused a bit closer at 18X.

There was a limited time run with mil dot reticles that can be found. The 4-12 is 12” long, 15 oz, and has a 1” tube. It features exposed P5 dials(custom dial compatible) which have mil adjustments. It has the same glass quality as the VX-II’s…really good low light performance! For me it ticks all the right boxes for a hunting scope. 

It would be nice if it focused all the way to 10 yards and a 33 mm objective option would be sweet but nevertheless it’s my current favorite. 

The current “upgraded” version of the Mark AR mod 1 would have to be the Mark 3HD. Very similar specs except a 30 mm tube, side focus, and an illumination option for all models. They come with a TMR reticle as well. It’s just a little larger in size and weight but not by much. 

The cool thing about the side focus is that the minimum parallax adjustment distance can actually be changed via the objective end. That’s another story for another day but it’s relatively easy to set them so they focus down to 10 yards or even less. 

A very similar scope are the 30mm/Side Focus/CDS VX-Freedoms. They come in a Tri-MOA reticle with MOA adjustments. However, the turrets feel very cheesy; particularly the windage. The glass does seem quite good, however.

image.1649049040.jpg
image.1649049087.jpg

The current “upgraded” version of the Mark AR mod 1 would have to be the Mark 3HD. Very similar specs except a 30 mm tube, side focus, and an illumination option for all models. They come with a TMR reticle as well. It’s just a little larger in size and weight but not by much. 

The cool thing about the side focus is that the minimum parallax adjustment distance can actually be changed via the objective end. That’s another story for another day but it’s relatively easy to set them so they focus down to 10 yards or even less. 

A very similar scope are the 30mm/Side Focus/CDS VX-Freedoms. They come in a Tri-MOA reticle with MOA adjustments. However, the turrets feel very cheesy; particularly the windage. The glass does seem quite good, however.

I have both a 4-12 and a 6-18 Tri MOA scope. Great glass. I agree with the windage assessment ;) The reticle on the 6-18 is incremented in 2MOA hashes, whereas the 4-12 is 1MOA hash marks. I wish the 4-12 had the increments every 2MOA, make for a better sight picture for me.

I'd like to hear your story on changing the side focus!

The cool thing about the custom dial system Is that once you get a projectile dialed in you can then give those calibrations to Leupold and they can make a dial for you. Forget calculating mils or drops…all you need is a rangefinder and a consistent air rifle.

I thought this was part of the indefinitely closed Leupold Custom Shop but it appears they are still doing custom dials.

From what I can tell they are not doing reticle swaps anymore.

I have both a 4-12 and a 6-18 Tri MOA scope. Great glass. I agree with the windage assessment ;) The reticle on the 6-18 is incremented in 2MOA hashes, whereas the 4-12 is 1MOA hash marks. I wish the 4-12 had the increments every 2MOA, make for a better sight picture for me.

https://www.mcarbo.com/store/pg/33-adjusting-parallax-on-non-ao-scope.aspx

Very straightforward...unscrew the objective bell end. This can be pretty tight on some scopes so a rubber oil filter wrench style tool is nice to have. After this is removed you will see the exposed threads that house the objective lens. Unscrew or rotate counter-clockwise this housing/exposed threads to reduce the minumum parallax setting and vice versa. Try it for yourself and let me know if it works for you. Obviously, you want to be careful and not go ham on it or unscrew it too far...