What’s it worth

Went to visit a local guy yesterday that I knew had a compressor. He had filled my tanks before and he said he basically unplugged it and it’s just gathering dust. So yesterday I inquired about possibly purchasing it and actually went back and looked at it and took a few pics. It’s an Alkin w31-2-310 made in 2004. I know doing some research that’s is a quality compressor but since the age of it, even though it only has 40 hours, has me a little concerned. I’ve read that one needs to fire them up every so often to keep them working properly and I doubt this one has been. So I’m asking what is a realistic value of this used one? I think new they’re about $3k similar to a 220v coltri.

I know nothing about the compressor you mentioned, but, 
as far as the mention of firing them up periodically to keep them working properly..
Here's the deal - That makes the most sense to me..

With a piston engine, if they sit too long, they can actually seize..
The head may lose lubrication, moisture can build up inside, 
and the piston-Ring can seize in the cylinder.. I've dealt with locked up motors before..

Sometimes, there's even a quick fix for that.. Remove the head / expose the piston, 
lube with something like Marvel Mystery Oil, let sit / penetrate, then after that, 
they can be thumped loose with a rubber or dead-blow hammer, etc..

Randomly running them just helps prevent any of that [and other things] from happening..

My other $0.02 would be - Just make sure that the compressor still has maintenence parts support..
In the event that spare parts, etc. may be needed, you'd want to make sure that wouldn't be a problem.

Sam -

If you can get parts and service and it’s currently working well it’s probably worth some place north of $1000 but if parts and service are doubtful then you have to guess how long will it remain useful to me.

If you bought it and it lasted 3 or 4 years and then you had to just junk it it would still be worth having.

I’d fill up a tank. Let the air out of the tank fill it again if it did that with no sweat I’d buy it even if you don’t think you could get it fixed $800 maybe?

With only 40 hours it should be as new.

So some place between $800 and $1200 ??? 

I just seen a gas powered coltri in the classifieds go for I think $1200 so I was thinking that would be the max for this one. My first impression was he thinks it’s almost new because of the 40hrs but it’s 15 years old and he’s going to want over 2K. As far as I know Alkin still makes that model so parts should be available. Time will tell on what price he comes up with. Thanks for the replies

Ahh, great point! 
4hrs run time vs. the unit being 15 years old. 

I guess there's two ways to look about it then..
With age [like some things - especially vehicles / tools] Things used to be built to a better standard..
Better quality IMO. "Newer" things don't always last as long, as they're being built to price-points, 
sometimes use lesser quality parts - corners cut to save a buck, etc..

So sometimes older things are actually better.. I've learned that over years and years of comparing.

On the other hand - If things are exactly the same [then vs now] then it shouldn't make any difference.

These things are not like antiques / collectors items, so, it's not like they hold or increase in value with age.. haha

That said, if it was me, I would try my best to make a 'respectful offer'..

I always burn myself - offering too much.. Buyers just love me..
I'm always too worried that I'll insult a seller with too low of a $# 

If you have a good number range in your head - comparing it to what other setups cost [and you can explain that to him]
I say start low if you offer, and go from there..

Welcome, and, Best of luck!

👍 

Sam -

OK...gonna chime in here!! Having purchased and sold a few hundred cars in my professional and private life my take usually is.....1/3 to 1/2 of what a new comparable compressor would be. Try and contact a Alkin retailer to get their read. You might ask that the seller to fire this compressor up and fill a tank for you. Also just how long has it been sitting ? I'am with Sam just don't want it too much that you pay too much. Let us know how this turns out!

I sure wouldn’t pay $2000 for it . Maybe if it was gone over by dealer/service facility and had year warranty on it. But from a private party as is no way.

You have a 50% chance of getting a good compressor and a 50% chance of having to have it rebuilt for a bunch of money. (If you can ) figure shipping etc. I think $1000 unless he guarantees it for a period of time . 

If it’s exactly want you want of course it’s worth a little more.

Hope it works out for you 

$1K sounds about what I was thinking or in the very close neighborhood of it. I don’t know where he’s gonna come up with a price because after googling that compressor, I found just about 0 used ones for sale. All were new at about $2995, with 2 year warranty. I seen Alkin posted on another thread maybe they’ll respond on this one. Thanks for the ideas.

If you’re willing to spend &1200, then just buy a new air Venturi. You can look at it this way..... some people are 50 yrs old and just sit around and don’t get much excersise. Should be like new right! Lol.

The build quality of a W31 Alkin runs circles around the design and durability of the Air Venturi. If you can get the seller to fill a tank for you from empty without issue then all you would need is a fresh oil change and a new high pressure filter cartridge. A 15 year old W31 with only 40 hours in excellent operating condition is easily worth $1500 or more. It will outperform and outlast several new Air Venturi’s. It’s built as a dive compressor not just a hobby compressor. The only downside is it requires a 220V outlet and it weighs 150 lbs. 

Thanks for your reply Humdinger, it kinda confirms my suspicion about what’s it’s worth is, although I’m thinking he’ll want more than that. I’ll make my offer after hopefully seeing it run and go from there. Quick question though, after setting for a number of years would it be wise for him to change the oil before he shows me it running capability? Again thanks for all the suggestions as it’s a rather big step for me. 

Yes, it would help. The old oil collects moisture over the years it sits idle. Running it once won’t damage it but it would be a good idea. A common mistake I see on the forums is trying to save money by using improper lubricants as a way to save money. Quality ISO non detergent compressor oil isn’t as cheap as automotive oil but it’s worth the cost since you change it infrequently and only use about 12 ounces per fill in most air compressors.

@humdinger is correct. $1500 would be a very good deal. These compressors are comparable to the Coltri or Bauer as far as build and function. 40 hours is just getting broken in, they'll run for thousands of hours run time. Have him change the oil, then fill a tank from zero. Listen for any odd noises and especially once you get over 4,000 psi. If it keeps chugging along without sounding like its straining, and doesn't make any odd noises, then you have found a good deal...

I'm buying a Mariner 1 in 6 months. All parts in a warehouse/assembly factory in Newark NJ. If you want a reps number, PM me, or call Doug Noble. He's supposed to start selling & servicing those that are past their 2 year warranty. Lowest RPM's of any compressors, 1050-1070. It is a good compressor as I've done a lot of research.

Follow Centercuts instructions though as the sitting part is bad for any and all compressors. I'm sure, if he gives it to you for less than $1200, bringing it up to new, even with shipping, you'd still be way below a new ones price which is around $2950 for most dealers. I'm picking mine up so I'll probably get it at a lot less as no shipping or middle man.