• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's happening in your area?!!

hopefully you get to enjoy those squirrels. The fire started at the Sierras foothill has almost reached Tahoe so won’t be many squirrels left on the south side of the 50 for many years.

Damn shame too, as those foothill, acorn fed squirrels are the best. I have noticed a flavor difference between the ones at higher altitude that eat pine cones and nuts vs the acorn fed ones. The higher altitude ones are more acidic and I just don't like the flavor as much, plus the plague still lingers in rodents up here. The local hunting season is literally going up in smoke, and I think my tag soup this year is going to be particularly unsavory.

I hope everyone's opening day squirrel season was as good as mine! Sorry no pictures. I was expecting a great season and I was not disappointed. I am fortunate to have some private land to hunt especially when the National Forest is closed due to fires.

Here's a couple pictures of the bounty. Great reward for those who eat what they hunt!

Doing late night cooking in preparation of entertaining a few friends who have never eaten squirrel. Braising the meat prior to placing in crock pot. Garlic and herb with Chipotle hot spice. Meat is being prepared for tacos. Keeping this one simple.

Have a great season gentlemen!

20210914_221111.1631686226.jpg
20210914_173616.1631686227.jpg

qball,

I would think or at least hope to see the National Forest opening back up to the public in shot order.

To my surprise both husband and wife enjoyed their tacos! I say surprised because a lot of women would have turned their nose up over the idea of eating a squirrel. Prior to eating she had asked what they taste like and my response was; rabbit sweeter than chicken, squirrel sweeter than rabbit, just doesn't have the larger chunks of meat available to eat. In this preparation she thought the meat was more like pork, I would have to agree with her assessment. What squirrel meal to be next? Considering either a chili, stew or possibly fettuccine alfredo. 

Cheers