What's happening in your area?!!

What's happening in your area?!!

Well just to clarify, I am speaking in regards to the up coming tree squirrel season. It's shaping up to be a doozy!

Two weeks ago the grey squirrels have invaded my acreage and have begun carpeting the ground with gnawed pine cones. They're working as hard as active "little beavers". Activity is earlier and more activie than norm. One reason is my Ponderosa Pine trees are ripe with cones and appears to be over abundant, mind you, they have a two year cycle to cone maturity along with a drought which has brought this season to fruition. My only concern is by the start of season rolls around (Sept 11) the food source will be mostly depleted!

Ah, as of this morning I no longer have such concerns! I am looking out of every window and seeing cone debri floating down from the trees above. Decided to grab a pair of binocs to checkout the squirrel and pine cone population and all is good! Even though the ground is littered with cone debri there still is a great supply of cones!

Even if they manage to deplete every cone, they will be too FAT to waddle off the property before I am able to harvest a few. LOL

This is looking to be a fantastic season. Those wondering' I'm located in the "Sierra foothills of Northern CA".

Cheers

no activity of any kind in my area, just north of Sacramento. The air is filled with smoke and ashes from the fires. The Dixie fire has burned over 600,000 acres and is less than 40% contained. It will be burning thru the squirrel season, which opens Sept 11. I read one estimate that it will take another 3-4 month to get the fire under control. Not good for the air quality and all the people who live close to the fire

Here, the pecan trees are not quite ready so the squirrels are spread out. They typically will gather up to attack the trees in another month or two. I can typically count 15 or so at the bird feeder during the summer, but this year the turkeys and deer have moved in to lap up every morsel that is dropped by the birds, so the squirrels are fairly thin at the feeder this year. Maybe I can get a few pecans this year, but doubt it.

Sounds like the squirrel season will be ramping up for a lot of us. Sorry about you Washington boys not having a season, just doesn't sound right!

As to the national forest here in Northern CA I can't comment as to what is or isn't opened due to fires. I am a little further than a stones throw from the Caldor fire on hwy 50. As of a few hours ago its up to 100,000 acres with no containment- not good!

No doubt some areas will be closed to the public, other areas probably limited camping with no fires. Will have to make some calls as to see what restriction are being implemented. Keeping my fingers crossed that they don't shut down deer season, but have heard nothing that would suggest such.

Cheers

Edit: Due to the Caldor Fire the emergency forest closure of all National Forest System lands, roads, and trails within the Eldorado National Forest will last through September.

We're just being advised to be careful cause of the plague, central CA here

Plague is on all ground dwelling rodents and especially ground squirrels and chipmunks. Tree squirrels are usually free of flees unlike their ground relatives.

I’m at the very beginning of Sierra foot hills, el dorado forest is closed and burning so definitely no squirrel hunting any time soon. 

I am a little further than a stones throw from the Caldor fire on hwy 50. As of a few hours ago its up to 100,000 acres with no containment- not good!
Edit: Due to the Caldor Fire the emergency forest closure of all National Forest System lands, roads, and trails within the Eldorado National Forest will last through September.

We're neighbors then. I am in Tahoe, choking on really bad air and hoping the fire doesn't reach us. Archery squirrel and deer season opened yesterday, but almost every forest in Northern California is closed. A lot of squirrels are getting pre-cooked right now and I am prepping for evac.

mtndragon, hi neighbor.

Definitely scary times for many people! Many people are being displaced due to the fires hope you won't be one of them! I'm fortunate in that the fire has burned away from us, does put a different perspective on life and not take it for granted.

Stay safe and may life turn back to some reflection of normalcy!

PS. The air here this morning is especially bad, almost to the point of having to chew it first!

Cheers

Moog, rcarlisle

Perhaps a recipe post should be in order. Squirrel stir fry sounds rather good. I know for fact squirrel tacos are great. Personally crock pot them with either salsa or Italian dressing then using the meat for tacos. Sometimes squirrel stew using mushroom soup. It's all good!

Cheers

hopefully you get to enjoy those squirrels. The fire started at the Sierras foothill has almost reached Tahoe so won’t be many squirrels left on the south side of the 50 for many years.