• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

What's better Bench Rest , Bi-Pods or Sand Bags for Steading Shots?

I find my sandbags don't really give me enough of a sturdy base for long distances (100yd) under greater scope magnification. I find that using a combination of my bi-pod and sandbags does a better job than either just the Bipod by itself or the sandbags by them selves. But it still shakes. I'd like to eliminate as much of the shaking as possible with out using a led sled. Does a bench rest do a better job at stabilizing movement on long shots? I have NOT tried one yet. What would be the order in trying to get the most stead shot? Help me with the order below or is this just way to vague. Or am I missing something. In order of best aid in steading a shot?

I want to take breathing, technique, posture all out of the equation.

1) Led Sled - Most steady
2) Bench Rest
3) Sand Bags
4) Hybrid Sand Bags and Bi-Pod
5) Bi-Pod alone.

Is a led sled usable in gun matches?

i have two setups i use .. first is a caldwell rock jr and caldwell prefilled rear bag .. second is a caldwell turret rest .. i can set both rigs up in a window in the day and leave the gun there sighted on a gong at ~100 .. open the window any time at night and just pull the trigger and ring it lol ..have to have a stable base to set up on though, if it moves when you lean on it etc, no good .. bipods meh, dont like them except to be mobile if i need to setup in an oddball place .. they can do fruity things with a guns harmonics though, not the ultimate in accurate imo ..

Reactions: beerthief
i have two setups i use .. first is a caldwell rock jr and caldwell prefilled rear bag .. second is a caldwell turret rest .. i can set both rigs up in a window in the day and leave the gun there sighted on a gong at ~100 .. open the window any time at night and just pull the trigger and ring it lol ..have to have a stable base to set up on though, if it moves when you lean on it etc, no good .. bipods meh, dont like them except to be mobile if i need to setup in an oddball place .. they can do fruity things with a guns harmonics though, not the ultimate in accurate imo ..
I love the gong idea. Im using brass bells of various sizes at various distances up to 80yds. I want to try a wind chime and if I find a gong ill give that a show.

Good quality front rest and rear bag.Have never seen a led sled used at a bench rest match
Is this a good example of what your talking Bout?

Highwild Shooting Rest Front Rest Adjustable Gun Rifle Rest for Outdoor Shooting and Hunting - Convenient Height Adjustment - with Front Rest Bag https://a.co/d/gtm2yF4

So this with a sandbag in the back would be better than a full bench shooting rest?

Reactions: BanjomanMI76
I find my sandbags don't really give me enough of a sturdy base for long distances (100yd) under greater scope magnification. I find that using a combination of my bi-pod and sandbags does a better job than either just the Bipod by itself or the sandbags by them selves. But it still shakes. I'd like to eliminate as much of the shaking as possible with out using a led sled. Does a bench rest do a better job at stabilizing movement on long shots? I have NOT tried one yet. What would be the order in trying to get the most stead shot? Help me with the order below or is this just way to vague. Or am I missing something. In order of best aid in steading a shot?

2) Bench Rest
3) Sand Bags
5) Bi-Pod alone.

This is what i use /with the slippery cloth option and regular sand fill , Heavy sand is just that too heavy . https://protektormodel.com/

Lets see some pics?
20220326_214648.jpg
20220326_214757.jpg

I love the gong idea. Im using brass bells of various sizes at various distances up to 80yds. I want to try a wind chime and if I find a gong ill give that a show.
The best gong set up I have used are acetylene tank tops caps .I put them on top of a rebar rods I have pounded in the ground .They balance on the rebar rod and give out a loud “ping”when hit. I have them set up at 50,75 and 100 yards. They are perfect recreational plinking . When shooting with friends there is no doubt who is zeroed in on the slim profile of the acetylene tank top cap. .
For me they are a lot of fun , just being able to reach out that far with certain airguns and hear the gong go “PING”
I spray paint them international orange. Over a white base. Very simple to go out and touch up for the next round of shooting if you want to. Or just sit there and keep on looking away !

The best gong set up I have used are acetylene tank tops caps .I put them on top of a rebar rods I have pounded in the ground .They balance on the rebar rod and give out a loud “ping”when hit. I have them set up at 50,75 and 100 yards. They are perfect recreational plinking . When shooting with friends there is no doubt who is zeroed in on the slim profile of the acetylene tank top cap. .
For me they are a lot of fun , just being able to reach out that far with certain airguns and hear the gong go “PING”
I spray paint them international orange. Over a white base. Very simple to go out and touch up for the next round of shooting if you want to. Or just sit there and keep on looking away !
Nice that's a good idea. I dont know where I would find just a cap. But that would certainly make a nice target at 100yd. I have a large steel spoon (4x the size of a regular spoon) and I hit that at about 80yds If I hit it just right I can get it to spin around.

2) Bench Rest
3) Sand Bags
5) Bi-Pod alone.

I have a OLD Ransom rest that I use for checking scopes but it seems to not shoot as accurately as my 'Caldwell Precision Turret Shooting Rest'. I think it hasd to do with the ability to move better.

When shooting from the bench, I choose between the pinch fire method where I ignore the eye relief of the scope and draw back a good foot from the gun stock and just use my thumb and pointer finger to pull the trigger. This removes the heartbeat from the cycle and gives you the closest to the guns real ability/accuracy.

The other method I use from the bench is the grip and relax method where you pull the stock deep into your shoulder and grip the stock tightly, plant your cheek hard into the comb and breathe deep.

As you let out your breath, you all but let go of the rifle and with BOTH eyes open, you breathe THROUGH your shot. This is an exaggerated method of shooting but when the adrenalin starts to pump when game shows up, the breathe-through method really pays off.

From what i've seen for 100yd coemptions (videos only) bi-pods / sand bag are the most prevalent. I don't understand why though. I would think that a decent adjustable front rest would do a much better job at holding the gun steady than a bi-pod. Help me fill in the gaps what am I missing? I can see the biggest advantage of a bi-pod would be mobility can easily adjust position but would suffer and a stability compared to a rest? Am I wrong here? Again excuse my lack of expertise. Just trying to determine the best course of action with my never ending discretionary spending black hole that the world of PCP brings. This is worse than a bad drug habit.

My thinking is I mostly shoot from inside my house into my back yard. I have targets setup for Zero at 25 and 50yds and targets setup up all the way to 100yds. So if I ever decide to go to a competition then I would like to be practicing with what the really good shooters are using. Unfortunately most of the of the competitions I'm seeing the winners are using some very expensive gear which would be a bit cost prohibitive.

I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get a good bi-pod and call it a day. The $26 bipod I have from Amazon doesnt do a great job at holding the gun steady especially at targets of 80+ yards. I