• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's a thermal scope that allows tracking of slugs cost?

The less expensive $1200 thermal scopes have a horrible resolution of 160x120pixels and with a frame rate of only 60fps they are not good enough to even think about seeing a pellet in flight let alone tracking one.

The better $4800+ units are 640x480 so you still are not likely not see a pellet in flight and with a refresh rate of only 60fps you would not be able to track one in any meaningful way.

You really need a minimum of 1024x768 and a refresh rate of at least 120fps, although 240fps is better, to see and track a pellet in flight. As far as I know no one makes a thermal that good yet. Although they will get there soon enough.

I guess it would depend on the refresh rate of the device and how far/fast you are shooting. I have a Trijicon Reap-IR. It has a refresh rate of 30 or 60 Hz. I occasionally get a hint of it in flight. Most of the time you can easily see the pellet in a tree or log well. To zero I usually just shoot into the end of a large piece of firewood, adjust zero, fire again and confirm.

Just wondering if it's even possible.

I saw on a EDgun video the slugs in a tree still showed up in thermal from barrel friction alone. 
Is it possible to track slugs flight on low magnification with a thermal?

That’s not from barrel friction, that’s the energy that is dumped in the tree from the slug. The kinetic energy from the flying slug needs to be translated into an other energy when suddenly coming to a stop -> it’s dissipated in heat.

Reactions: JamesD.
Just wondering if it's even possible.

I saw on a EDgun video the slugs in a tree still showed up in thermal from barrel friction alone. 
Is it possible to track slugs flight on low magnification with a thermal?

That’s not from barrel friction, that’s the energy that is dumped in the tree from the slug. The kinetic energy from the flying slug needs to be translated into an other energy when suddenly coming to a stop -> it’s dissipated in heat.

Very interesting. Thanks. Refresh rate? I didn't think about that. Kinda thought it was real time like a regular scope. Night vision would be real time though right? I don't think I can see anything in flight with NV though. Wrong or right?

I guess I could use 1-4 or irons and use the UV charged glow in the dark trick. Have a big UV for resin curing.

The less expensive $1200 thermal scopes have a horrible resolution of 160x120pixels and with a frame rate of only 60fps they are not good enough to even think about seeing a pellet in flight let alone tracking one.

The better $4800+ units are 640x480 so you still are not likely not see a pellet in flight and with a refresh rate of only 60fps you would not be able to track one in any meaningful way.

You really need a minimum of 1024x768 and a refresh rate of at least 120fps, although 240fps is better, to see and track a pellet in flight. As far as I know no one makes a thermal that good yet. Although they will get there soon enough.

They do exist, which can actually see TRACE. I own several, being a partner in the defense industry.

INOD/SPARTN-E etc, cryo cooled thermal sensor weapon clip ons, produced by Leonardo.

Yet, the cost is egregiously prohibitive ($70-90k) to the average user, & access is severely limited outside of industry connections or military service.

That being said, have personally viewed low velocity powder burner rounds, AG pellets/slugs (Actual Bullet or Pellet, not to be confused with TRACE) through multiple devices, Halo LR, UTC XII, LWTS-LR, Trijicon MKIII etc, am testing a new addition to the kit - TigIR 6Z+ in front of a S&B PMII Ultra Short, fully expect the same ability.

In regards to zeroing a TWS, Telluric Group produces specific targets for this application, but a Hot Hand or blow torch to a piece of metal on a target is more than adequate.

Reactions: JamesD.
HI Id like to give my input , I Own a ATN thor hd thermal , here is specs, So as you can see , this is a 640x480 resolution 50 refresh rate , I can shoot a tree and see impact over 75 yards away , I can spot trace and impact with a powder burner , I So any unit with 640x480 should have good resolution , I can hit a squirrel and see him bleed at over 100 yds , I have tried cheaper ATN scopes and they just not worth owning , AS other mentioned here a good thermal is 10k and more , Mine was a msrp of $4995 2 yrs ago ,

Thermal hunting is awesome , nothing can hide , save up your pennies and buy once cry once

As far as guy shooting rats this is not even a thermal like guy asked and shots are only 13 to 15 yards , I can see traces 300 yrds and im[pact with powder burner , and can clearly see pellets in flight close like in videos but i never shoot this close lol .

LOU

Specifications for ATN ThOR-HD Thermal Imaging Rifle Scopes, 5-50x, 50 mm, Multiple Patterns & Color Options Reticles, Black, TIWSTH645A

Color Black

Magnification 5 - 50 x

Objective Lens Diameter 100 mm

Night Vision Generation Digital

Display Resolution 1280x720 pixels

Video Record Resolution 1280x960 @ 30/60 fps

Refresh Rate 50 Hz

Resolution 640x480 pixels

Eye Relief 65 mm

Exit Pupil 10 mm

Field of View, Angle 4.7 - 6 degrees

Diopter Adjustment Range -5 - 5 dpt