What's a HW30 .177 good for?

image.1613497277.jpg

How about a 7.0 grain @ 6ftlb Wadcutter for dropping the icicles off the gutters? Worked for the smaller ones but the 48 .22 had to be engaged for the potential killers, 3'+ That's if they'd fall when unexpected. 
I'm not telling anyone to do this as I'm not responsible if your windows take a ricochet. I took the chance and all worked great but again, safety first. 

Hey buddy, this was safer than trying to get up there. 
Now admitting I could have gotten my chimney sweep sticks together but, yeah it was a good reason to use it, lol

I should have taken a before and after but that huge piece of ice just beyond the gutter spout is the big 3" diameter 3' long one the 48 .22 took down. 
They are some serious weight 

Just about anything! Icicles beware 

the HW30S .177 was the second springer I bought. I picked it up new around 2009. At the time it was fine but it just didn’t grab me like some of the others did. I eventually gave it to one of my boys a couple/three years ago. Didn’t miss it.

Mid last year I was on the edge wanting to buy one of the gray laminate 30s in .22 cal. I procrastinated. The desire for a .22 30 was still there. On an impulse I bought a used 30 in .177. Soon after I jumped for a .22 cal seeing the stocks running low at many online retailers. I didn’t want to lose out on a .22 again, gray laminate or not. Anyway...l

Now I am really enjoying these two 30s that showed up since the first of the year. I’m even considering buying another one with the newest style stock in .177. I’m considering giving the .177 I already have to another one of my boys and I’ll need one to replace the old one.

I have found a new joy in the 30S and it’s proving to be a fun ride. Rolling empty cans with the .22 cal is the best!!!

A7767F02-B612-4D33-A0B5-23737FBD93DE.1613619061.jpeg
3F1F3487-AF50-48B8-8A97-CEDEFAB6650F.1613619062.jpeg

What was my HW30 .177 good for? Trading it in on a new Hw50S .22 cal. I had so many issues with the little 30 and when it finally wouldn’t cock anymore it was time to go. A few extra dollars and now I have IMO the best of both worlds. The accuracy (when I could get it) of the 30 and the shooting enjoyment plus a few more foot pounds to zip those H&N Greens 9.65 along with a little bit more reach and stopping power.

Someone has to get the bad apple every so often and I suppose it was my turn.

Gary

Still in our family is an older (pre-safety, leather piston seal) HW30s (from Robert Law's Air Rifle Headquarters) that is still running fine on all original parts/spring/seals (!). Not a lot of power, but light to carry and fun so shoot. Could just be those lower-powered guns don't have near the problems of all the "Magnums" that came later?

When I go up in the mountains here in the winter, "icicle hunting" is always a ton of fun. Often, shots can be found/taken out past 50 yards.

Speaking of Robert Law's ARH, old-timers might even recall his magazine "A.R.M." (Air Rifle Monthly: not always about rifles, and certainly not monthly...): "Volume 5" just so happens to have an article about, of all things "a mid-winter icicle hunt". Must not have been many people out-and-about there in WV in those days as a photo in the article shows 3 people shooting standing right on the side of "a main highway" (and, shooting across the road; sure couldn't get away with that these days!). A sentence in said article states "You will find additional challenge in shooting at distances as great as 60 yards or more". Fun stuff!