What's a good starter pcp?

Hey I'm new to air rifles, shooting, and forms. Right now I have a Gamo Whisper and it's been kinda a hassle getting some groups with it. I'm thinking the barrel mite be dirty and that's what's causing it but I'm looking to get into a pcp gun that's under $1,000 so I can know if I'm the reason I'm missing or if it's the gun. So please let me know what's a good pcp gun to get and any shooting tips are appreciate it thanks.

Benjamin Disco or the Benjamin Marauder would be a great first pcp, I bought the .25 synthetic bundle from Pyramyd Air for under $800 as my first PCP. comes with everything you need to get started. 

Im not real good with springer rifles, but have you tried the Artillery Hold with the Whisper? spring and gas piston guns can be hold sensitive.

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/The_artillery_hold_June_2009/63

I think the .25cal Benjamin Marauder is the sweet spot for a starter PCP. The Pyramyd Air bundle will, as mentioned above, give you everything you need to get started. You might want to also investigate if there are any fill stations nearby to refill an SCBA tank. If you haven't already done so, you can also add yourself to our member map to see if there are any other members nearby. If so, you might have a source to 'try before you buy' if another member is willing to share.

Fill Station Locator: http://www.crosman.com/discover/airguns/pcp-resources/find-a-fill-station
Member Map: https://www.zeemaps.com/airgun_nation
Pyramyd Air Ultimate Marauder Bundle: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/pre_packaged_deals/Benjamin_Marauder_PCP_Air_Rifle_Synthetic_Stock/6069  (there are a bunch of discounts available that will lower the price. If you decide to buy, ask and we'll find a way to help with the price. I purchased this bundle a few months ago and I think after all the discounts my total price was $725, and shipping was free)

You really should give ztirffritz some big accuracy points because he really did get it right with his response. So you can stop reading my reply here if you wish and just say I'm a +1 on the .25 Marauder.
Now if you continue to read, I might add the .25 has a different barrel than the .22 so don't think you will get the same performance with the .22 as you will with the .25 cal. The best PCP to buy first is the gun that leaves you with no "wants" or "dislikes". I must say my .25 Marauder was by far the best choice for me to get into PCP's. This gun has never let me down. Ok you might get better shot counts out of some, but the price tag is alot higher. Accuracy I'm sure there is something better out there but I would be hard pressed to say what it might be. I think the Marauder .25 will out shoot you for a long time. It is fun to shoot, it is fun to learn how to shoot and it really is very accurate for the money.

Another nice thing about the Benj Marauder .25 is there is a ton of information out there on this gun, it is easy to tinker with. The trigger is adjustable as well as the velocities and air consumption. Just a very good gun that would make a wonderful first PCP without breaking the bank and will still be one of your favorites as you add to your collection for years to come. At least for me anyway. Good luck with the choice and enjoy the adventure, this is a FUNGUN!

I had a Gamo Whisper as my 1st airgun and I hated it. It did not shoot consistently, or at least I could not. That changed when I went PCP.

I had a 25 marauder after that and was very happy for a while. I sold it and got a 25 condor with a clague LDC. And a 22 talon SS for a short pickup gun.

I also have a Prod custom mini bullpup.

I was happy with all of the above and you will probably as well.

The Brocock has an excellent reputation. Very small, and a good shooter at its limited FPE. It has a reputation to be loud, so look for a good LDC.

I would recommend you look for airgunners near you who would be willing to let you shoot their guns so you find one you like.

Welcome to the party!

I don't know where you are located, but the Brocock looks like it would be a more expensive option in the US. I'm sure it's a fine gun, but I don't know anything about it firsthand. I do have a .25 Marauder and I've put >750 rounds through it since May. The accuracy is impressive for the price. You'll get about 16 useful shots from the stock config. Some people have tuned their Marauders to get about 24 shots at a lower power though. The Pyramyd Air bundle will give you the gun, scope, scope rings, pump, pellets and safety glasses for less than just the Brocock from Airguns of Airizona. If you're just starting, you need to include almost all those things in your start up costs. If you buy a PCP you need a way to put air into it. That means either a pump ($125-$300) or a SCBA/SCUBA style tank ($250-$750). I'm not saying anything good or bad about the Brocock other than it's going to cost more.

Hey Betancore - I'm the guy with the Brocock noted above. My first real airgun was a Gamo Whisper, that I learned to shoot "kind of accurately" and got to the point that I was shooting small groups at 25 yards... until I started to wince from the guns kick and my accuracy went out the window. My first PCP was a 177 marauder and it was a shooter, so I guess I 5th the idea of starting with a Marauder. They are super accurate, super quiet, and super easy to work on. The Brocock is a great gun but the Marauder is a better stepping stone.

DONT FORGET ABOUT THE MARAUDER PISTOL!!!

Ok, I don't mean to shout, but I seriously cannot say enough about the great Marauder Pistol (Prod). It introduced me to PCP several years ago, and I still shoot it and marvel at it's performance. Mine is unbelievably accurate up to 50-60 yards. It's easy to fill with a hand pump. It's easy to modify and there is tons of info available. I think it is the very best intro to PCP airguns.

+ 3 on the Hatsan AT44-10( QE) in 25 cal. A born small game annihilator. I had a marauder and I liked it just swell until I couldn't hit anything with it anymore...maybe I just had a bad one...I like the Hatsan clip alot better than the marauder magazine too, much simpler and a less things that can go wrong... Have fun on your journey and I hope you pick one that suits you