• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's a good backpack PCP?and backpack?

ive shot a prod before. its a nice little compact especially if you mount something like a bug buster or a 4x or red dot. however its not that shoulder able as the stock it comes with is fairly low and it proved difficult to bench shoot the little thing, shooting offhand was pretty nice though but as soon as you start crouching it becomes difficult, rather in my opinion, and in my opinion the prods factory stock needs some work.

As a former motorcyclist who has survived 2 crashes at decent speeds and lived to tell about it, here's my advice:
  • Don't carry anything on your person that could bust you up if you landed on it with high force. For example, a Russian guy once broke his back by landing on a can of Coke in his backpack.
  • DO wear a full face helmet. Mine saved my life once and jaw surgery once. Get one that's DOT and Snell certified. DOT is the basic requirements, Snell are more realistic.
  • At the very least, wear jeans, over-the-ankle boots, full fingered leather gloves and an armored jacket. I crashed once wearing shorts and flip flops, and the pain of losing lots of skin on my legs and ankles taught me a lesson in person that I had read about in books. The second time I crashed, I had full motorcycle gear on: pants with pads in the hips and knees, a vented armored jacket, armored boots, etc. That time, I broke my leg in 3 places, because I went tumbling into the woods at 45 mph. Lucky I didn't break my back on a tree.
  • DON'T carry any pressure vessels, like PCP tanks, unless it's in an amored hard case or something. If the tank tumbled and hit the valve, it would fire off like a pneumatic missile. The gun might actually explode.*
I think the safest bet would be a CO2 gun or pumper, though those are pretty low-powered. How about a modded 1322 with a 18" barrel, flat top piston kit and folding or detachable stock?

Or, if you really want PCP, leave the refill tank at home and get something with a fitted hard or semi-hard case. Like an Air Arms S410 TDR, and strap it to your back rack. These guns review GREAT. That one's fitted semi-hard case is also a backpack.

* - Watch this video, starting at 50 sec. This tank weighed probably 6X what a small carbon fiber tank does, and had half the pressure. Here's one from MythBusters, where it shot through a cinder block wall, and damaged the wall behind it: 
Again, that tank is much, much heavier than a portable CF tank, and with half the pressure contained.

We take compressed air as an energy source for granted in the airgun world, but there are safety standards in place behind the scenes that allow us to do that. (I'm a regulatory engineer at UL, and one of my specialties is air compressors) Hydro tests are life-savers. But our air tanks aren't even ASME-coded, that I know of.

Reactions: X27
"Smaug"As a former motorcyclist who has survived 2 crashes at decent speeds and lived to tell about it, here's my advice:
  • Don't carry anything on your person that could bust you up if you landed on it with high force. For example, a Russian guy once broke his back by landing on a can of Coke in his backpack.
  • DO wear a full face helmet. Mine saved my life once and jaw surgery once. Get one that's DOT and Snell certified. DOT is the basic requirements, Snell are more realistic.
  • At the very least, wear jeans, over-the-ankle boots, full fingered leather gloves and an armored jacket. I crashed once wearing shorts and flip flops, and the pain of losing lots of skin on my legs and ankles taught me a lesson in person that I had read about in books. The second time I crashed, I had full motorcycle gear on: pants with pads in the hips and knees, a vented armored jacket, armored boots, etc. That time, I broke my leg in 3 places, because I went tumbling into the woods at 45 mph. Lucky I didn't break my back on a tree.
  • DON'T carry any pressure vessels, like PCP tanks, unless it's in an amored hard case or something. If the tank tumbled and hit the valve, it would fire off like a pneumatic missile. The gun might actually explode.*
I think the safest bet would be a CO2 gun or pumper, though those are pretty low-powered. How about a modded 1322 with a 18" barrel, flat top piston kit and folding or detachable stock?

Or, if you really want PCP, leave the refill tank at home and get something with a fitted hard or semi-hard case. Like an Air Arms S410 TDR, and strap it to your back rack. These guns review GREAT. That one's fitted semi-hard case is also a backpack.

* - Watch this video, starting at 50 sec. This tank weighed probably 6X what a small carbon fiber tank does, and had half the pressure. Here's one from MythBusters, where it shot through a cinder block wall, and damaged the wall behind it: 
Again, that tank is much, much heavier than a portable CF tank, and with half the pressure contained.

We take compressed air as an energy source for granted in the airgun world, but there are safety standards in place behind the scenes that allow us to do that. (I'm a regulatory engineer at UL, and one of my specialties is air compressors) Hydro tests are life-savers. But our air tanks aren't even ASME-coded, that I know of.
I have a camera that has a dent in it from where I landed on it. It was in my backpack we'll riding.
I normally ride with nothing bigger than a hydration pack with the bladder removed to allow for me to put my school stuff in it, 

I can break down my P-Rod in a full sized book bag.

Does anyone know of a custom stock maker who knows how to build a folding stock? I'd love to get a FX Ranchero that could fold up in a backpack.
edit: to answer my own post, I just had an idea. if the stock maker made the rear like an AR15, I could use an AR15 hinge & buttstock for the folding part. oooh, I may have just thought of a new project!

I totally appreciate everyone's advice and ideas on my backpack gun endeavor .I have decided not to be wearing a backpack while riding but I will be stowing the compact PCP in a saddle bag and it's power source in opposite saddlebag.i do plan on having a nice backpack strapped to rear so as I can stow said items on my walks through the woods or to shooting destination.i never really thought about the backpack causing tumbles or busted up back due to items inside,im thankful to that insight guys.
I've been looking very hard at the p-rod and Talon p but the Talon seems to be winning out currently as I can unscrew its tank from the rifle and stow it separately.theres a cool kit out for it currently microlite bullpup kit in aluminum that has caught my eye.the Talon will end up being more costly no doubt.
P-rod around 550$ -600$ with folding stock.
Talon p 650$-750$ with microlite kit.
Hrmm this is gonna get interesting with the wife , especially after I order my altraos compressor!!:)

If you are going to buy a Marauder pistol, Walmart was the cheapest place last time I checked. They were selling them for $350. 

You can get a folding stock adapter much cheaper than $300. 

There are plenty of folding stock adapters. If you shot around, you'll find a bargain. You don't really need the best for a Prod. 

If you go with an air force gun, you should know they are much louder, even the versions with baffled. prod is much quieter. 

I ride a Super Tenere and just carry my HW100. I keep it in a Boyt hard case and strap it to the pannier rack, LOL!

As much as I hate em, in this situation a bullpup would be hard to beat. They are as small or smaller than a PRod, but make more power and get way more shots. They definitely don't have nice wood to bang up from what I've seen either. 

But bullpups are expensive....

Maybe you could build you a super carbine sized QB78 with a bottle? That could be very affordable and pretty neat? 

Also keep your eyes out for one of the Air Arms takedown S410 setups. I've seen em sell for around $750 before. 

"dodge3500"I totally appreciate everyone's advice and ideas on my backpack gun endeavor .I have decided not to be wearing a backpack while riding but I will be stowing the compact PCP in a saddle bag and it's power source in opposite saddlebag.i do plan on having a nice backpack strapped to rear so as I can stow said items on my walks through the woods or to shooting destination.i never really thought about the backpack causing tumbles or busted up back due to items inside,im thankful to that insight guys.
I've been looking very hard at the p-rod and Talon p but the Talon seems to be winning out currently as I can unscrew its tank from the rifle and stow it separately.theres a cool kit out for it currently microlite bullpup kit in aluminum that has caught my eye.the Talon will end up being more costly no doubt.
P-rod around 550$ -600$ with folding stock.
Talon p 650$-750$ with microlite kit.
Hrmm this is gonna get interesting with the wife , especially after I order my altraos compressor!!:)
Good call, re. not carrying it in a backpack. When you have the equipment in a saddlebag, make sure it has some good cushion, in case your bike goes down.

Go with the P-rod. Quietness is nice. 

As for negotiations with The Purchasing Department, skip the compressor for now. Hand pumping is good for you, and really easy for a P-rod. They're low capacity, so it doesn't take a lot of pumps to go from 2k to 3k psi. Having a P-rod and 3 magazines' worth of pellets would do you fine, unless you're a terrible shot or unless you run across a LOT of pest animals in an afternoon. ;)

Maybe buy a 1377 or 1322 with the detachable shoulder stock as a back-up, for when you're done hunting and want to do some plinking. I have a folding stock for mine, though it is more wobbly than the Crosman skeleton stock.

"amoxom
Here’s my Mutant STD in a 5.11 COVRT bag. It is like it is made for it"

Ordered the very same for my .22 Wildcat. I know this backpack will be to short for the WC, but the double zipper locker will allow the barrel to stick out, and than one can just wrap something around/over the barrel - a sock maybe, or a fishing rod protection...