What yardage is your zero

10M or 15M for off-hand and pistol work and other short-range guns.
steppingstones50footrange2022c.jpg

25Y for the rest...
parrus_jan2022a_breechfix005.jpg

mostly set-it-and-forget-it. :)

Reactions: Fixedflinger
Mine is gun dependent. The criteria I use is a mid path rise of no more than 1/4 inch. I consider that negligible for squirrels. That results in a zero at about 40 yards for all except the Prod. It is more like 33. I can only shoot to 33 yards in the back yard so I look at how high I should be at 33 and try to get them to group at that rise. A little under1/4 inch. That should let me shoot to about 43 before I am 1/4 low.

I had them set to 33 to do the 30 yard challenge but just dialed them up a few clicks to get ready for the squirrel season to open here October 1.

Reactions: Miami Airgunner
Exactly as the last two folks have said - I sight in based on gun/ammo (READ: Velocity and BC) - with a goal of keeping as flat of a trajectory as possible within the most common ranges I'll be shooting.

It's entirely possible that I would adjust this based on shooting scenarios like hunting prarie dogs, where I'm going to be shooting at 75 yards or more commonly, but for most stuff a zero point between 15 yards and 25 yards is ideal, and will give you a trajectory that crosses zero at the zero-point yardage, as well as again at somewhere typically between 30 and 45 yards or so.

I need to get a good chronograph so I can be more precise about my zero point - as right now I'm just basing it off of generic tune data and pellet data as provided online - clearly I could be doing better. :)

I always zero at 25 yards. I find the hold over/under quite easy with that zero for anything from about 12 yards out to 50 yards. I practice this on steel targets set in the ground at random distances in the woods in my yard between 10 yards and 50.
Then I use StrelokPro to dial in the scope elevation turret for 15, 35, 50, 75 and 100 yards, verify this at the range and keep a note on my phone of all the data.

Reactions: ThomasT
I sight in generally at 50 yards. I shoot a lot out of my shop rear window where I have a bench. Also at 40 to 55 yards I have a wood line full of pests. So I want dead on around those ranges. I do shoot then at 15 , 25 and 40 yards to see where I need to hold. When I get a chance I then shoot my rifles maybe twice what I sight in on. I do this to make sure right and left are set precisely for my shooting at 50. I also do this with all my PB rifles. Most are sighted in at 100yds but outside the shop I have a max distance of 220yds. I confirm horizontal at that distance for them.

Now rat shooting at night my sight in was around 15 ft. I used an aperture sight with a red headlamp. I tried 10ft out to 20 yards for proper hold. As I think about this I also tend in airguns to sight pumpers out to 25 yds, focusing on closer ranges for hunting, springers out to 35 and pcp's out to 50. Pretty much do to power. They all are used hunt and plink with.

Reactions: cavedweller
My .22 Wildcat is set for 25 yards and is good out to 40 yards. Farther than that (out to 50yds) I go up one click (1/4 min). If something was at 20 yards I have to use about 1/8 minute of the center reticle to hit dead on.
But yesterday something very strange happened that has never happened before, three times no less in about two hours time. I have a Millenium tree seat that attaches to a tree with a strap at ground level. So I’m sitting there and a squirrel is chattering behind me. So I slowly turn around and he’s on a maple tree, frozen just staring at me, 20 feet away. He just stays there. So I shoulder my rifle and aim so I’m a bit below the horizontal reticle and miss. He moves and I shoot again. Miss again. I aim even higher and third shot gets him. I tell my self I need to get back to the range and get some dope for 20 foot shots. About thirty minutes later another squirrel appears on another tree 20 feet right in front of me. Again shoot and miss, then raise up higher than I expect, then hit. So since I didn’t have any paper, except my hunting license, I scraped some bark on a tree 20 feet away with my knife and scratch a plus sign to sight on. My Element scope goes to 10 yards and at 20 feet the image is a bit blurry but I aim and shoot. Pellet goes a legitimate 2 inches low, which is seven minutes on the reticle subtension lines. I take a second shot and same hole. OK, we’re good now. About 20 minutes later a third squirrel appears on a tree 15 feet away. What the heck is going on ? Three times in 2 hours. So I aim seven minutes below horizontal line and wham, right in the forehead.
Going to go to the range though and get good confirmation on 5, 10 and 15 yard zeroes.
It was a good day, all together six squirrels, an Ohio daily limit.