• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What would you want in a "kick-started" airgun?

There are many risks involved in innovation, no doubt. In tech, we figured out a way to somewhat minimize the "demand risk" by using crowd funding campaigns. Not only its a way to raise the capital, but also a great method to market and get customer feedback.

Wondering if the same concept could apply to airgun innovation. Say it takes Crossman $200K to start production of a new model (totally made up number). Lets pretend its "Discovery Indy" - moderated Disco with an on-board pump (again, totally fictitious example). And say a profit point is estimated to be at $600. It is unclear if such gun would be a great success with scores of former springer guys converting to PCP, or a total disappointment. Why not kick-start it? If 1000 pre-orders come in, that's a) - the signal that the idea is good, and b) - dollars to make it happen, if the number is 100 - that's a different signal, and the actual costly work could be avoided.

Does this make any sense to you guys? In this vein, would you fund a kick-started airgun, and what would be the features that would 'encourage' you to do so?

Reactions: Gshadow177
Yes this makes a lot of sense. And to your question, I would fund a kick start idea if I thought it would be a good idea. For instance, if FX or Daystate were to maybe come out with an entry level pcp. Like the discovery. I would invest in this because of all of the people like me know fx and daystate are big names and are known for quality. So people who want to get into pcp airguns have a quality name brand for a relatively low price. So now more people are encouraged to get into pcp airguns. Crosman did this with the discovery. Therefore encouraging more shooters.

Yes kick started air guns would be a idea that I would support. Namely I like day states hi light big bore air rifle but it seems like it would be insufficient for body shots on American deer with only 103 ft/lbs of energy. I would like to see fx create a another airgun geared to the American market. We have already seen them do this with the bulk pups of the wildcat and rushed model of the bobcat mk1. I would like to see fx make a big bore air rifle using their smoothtwist technology high capacity air reservoir at 500cc, shrouded barrel with threaded end cap for future upgrades, and high fpe in the 150+ area so we can use it on deer. Anyways I really like the American
air arms and hope fx can learn from their
ingenuity.
The days are gone where we purchase mass produced crossman mauraders and Benjamin Bulldogs(not really the days are still here for most of us, I'm just trying to say smaller private companies like American air arms are a great decision nowadays too!). we can now purchase higher quality and higher priced air guns from companies like American air arms. Now if we see a kickstarter project from a single individual on a great project then I'm sure the airgun community would pitch in. Everyone wants their own traits in their kickstarter guns. For example one of the guys above me want a entry level fx gun like the discovery while I want a big bore airgun. This is kickstarter projects for large companies like fx however. I'd like to see a single individual start their own design and start their own business themselves. Sorry about my grammar. Typing on my iPhone makes everything so choppy.