Benjamin What would you do, why?

I would get a pitbull carbine (custom shortened version). Big pass on the AEA. Too much bad feedback has reached these ears for that company in general.

For the carbine, more power, smaller package, what's not to love? Smaller guns are usually much more pleasurable to carry, maneuver, shoot. Easier to store. With a moderator will be the length of a normal bulldog without one!

I have heard the horror stories too, but bought an Hp Max 457 regardless. It required a little tweaking to get the magazine to feed properly. I tighten the barrel right up against it to take the extra play out. Now it's feeding good. I haven't had any pressure issues. I look at the gage daily. The stock has some play in it. Which annoys me. Other than that it has been an accurate powerhouse. From what I have seen the earlier models and the semiautomatic are too be avoided. The guys that have the Challenger Pro, love them.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
AEA the Challenger Pro is one of the few that are acceptable. Trigger still not great, but a tank with good power and shot count. Bulldog m357 is good power and count. Both weight the same and soso trigger. Airforce texan 357 no magazine but much more power amd less to go wrong. The pitbull.carbine would be the most maneuverable.out of the bunch and still have good power, but not regulated so bell curve.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Would only buy used from trusted member with established gunsmithing skills. Guy tricking out gun might be a hack who doesn't appreciate, nor understand dangers of HPA and PCPs. Could end up needing extensive repairs or, worst case scenario, a catastrophic failure. New, with warranty, is my preferred way to go. WM

I have been interested in getting a .35, and have been considering a Benjamin Bulldog. I currently see a good deal on an older tricked out Pitbull in. 357. I also have had my eyes on the M357.
I have also been thinking about going the Aea Challenger Pro route too.

What are you looking to do with a .357 Bulldog?

What are you looking to do with a .357 Bulldog?
D. All of the above
I grew up with airguns. Nothing more than .177. Then moved up to center fires. I just got my first pcp, my hp max 457. and I'm totally hooked. I like the power, but would like to make my next pcp more versatile with ammo. Especially since heavy pellets don't cost much. In my area I have wildlife up to mountain lions. So aside from shooting. I want to be able to take care of pest and hunt.

D. All of the above
I grew up with airguns. Nothing more than .177. Then moved up to center fires. I just got my first pcp, my hp max 457. and I'm totally hooked. I like the power, but would like to make my next pcp more versatile with ammo. Especially since heavy pellets don't cost much. In my area I have wildlife up to mountain lions. So aside from shooting. I want to be able to take care of pest and hunt.
The new M357 would be the most versatile gun and caliber, as you can tune to shoot light pellets and slugs for plinking or smallish game or pests, or go with heavy slugs for deer and the like.

The new M357 would be the most versatile gun and caliber, as you can tune to shoot light pellets and slugs for plinking or smallish game or pests, or go with heavy slugs for deer and the like.
I've had my eyes on the M357 for a while. I like the fact that the Bulldog had been around for a while, I think about a decade. I have been looking for more reviews on the new Magnum, but haven't seen much.

I've had my eyes on the M357 for a while. I like the fact that the Bulldog had been around for a while, I think about a decade. I have been looking for more reviews on the new Magnum, but haven't seen much.
It seems there's not many reviews because it was just released in the past year and not many have it in hand, probably because they own the original version. You can buy it directly from crosman https://www.benjaminairguns.com/air-guns/bulldog-m357 online or with a call 585-657-6161 and get direct factory warranty and parts. They have excellent customer service and get you pellets and parts quickly.

@Flyingsherpa Have you read through this one?

D. All of the above
@Flyingsherpa If you're in California I suggest that you make sure that you're operating within the laws and regulations when hunting with or shooting animals with airguns. I'm not certain that it is legal to hunt mountain lions w/airguns in California. I spent some time reviewing your state laws this morning. So much has changed since I last hunted out there. I almost get a headache reading through California hunting regulations.

Here is a good place to start learning about airgun hunting regulations for your state and game and/or nuisance animals that may be legally hunted with airguns. Always defer to your state regulations as the penultimate authority on hunting regulations and legalities regarding hunting with airguns and arrow guns.

If you intend to operate outside of the law, please don't broadcast what you're doing or plan to do on AGN. It's not a good look for our airgun sports, hobbies, or community. This isn't an assumption. It is a request.

Don't be this guy

Last edited:
Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
@Flyingsherpa If you're in California I suggest that you make sure that you're operating within the laws and regulations when hunting with or shooting animals with airguns. I'm not certain that it is legal to hunt mountain lions w/airguns in California. I spent some time reviewing your state laws this morning. So much has changed since I last hunted out there. I almost get a headache reading through California hunting regulations.

Here is a good place to start learning about airgun hunting regulations for your state and game and/or nuisance animals that may be legally hunted with airguns. Always defer to your state regulations as the penultimate authority on hunting regulations and legalities regarding hunting with airguns and arrow guns.

If you intend to operate outside of the law, please don't broadcast what you're doing or plan to do on AGN. It's not a good look for our airgun sports, hobbies, or community. This isn't an assumption. It is a request.

Don't be this guy

I totally agree with you on this. They have been sighted were I live. So my intention would be an only if I had to senario. I don't really believe in killing just for sport. I'm interested in deer, and in my 12 gauge day. I hunted dove, qual, and phasant.
Pest are my other interest. I have killed probably 30 gophers in the past year and a half. The property where I bought my home was litters with gophers. When I moved here. It didn't matter where I stepped, my foot would sink in.
Also I'm redoing my electrical panels do to them being chewed up by rats.
So if it's not a pain in the ass, or tasty. I don't plan on killing something just for the hell of it.
I have to say. I love how on it the group around here is. I wish my climbing forum was a bit more like this.

back about 5-6 years ago when pitbull started doing the power mods to the bulldog, i had the whole sha-bang done in the carbine model. he did everything to the dog and even replaced the barrel due to some problems....
he machined an adapter for the barrel to use the DFL ronin and did the barrel mounting mods.
other words, it was a power house !!
that deer season i took a couple and a few hogs.
honestly, it was an accurate shooter as long as you had it rested solid.
the gun would shake the ground when fired !! it was not a free-hand shooter period !
as long as i was shooting from a solid rest i could hit anything i needed to out to 75yrds easily.
i think i kept the gun a couple years then sold it to a friend in Gaum.
the full strength pitbull carbine i had was not a stalking gun at all.

I have put a few rounds through the M357. You can tune it down a little and shoot 81g JSBs or FX hybrid slugs at 1000fps. I have one tuned to shoot Hybrid Slugs to hunt woodchucks.

Or shoot slugs at nearly 300fpe for larger game and hit targets out to 400 yards. We shot the M357 at the EBR Big Bore challenge with a 4th place finish and a hit to the bell at just over 400 yards.

Pitbulls Mega-Pitbull will come fully modified and is more powerful than the M357. The website and owner can answer any questions. Mine shoots flawlessly. .160gr Venom HP and stay inside 65 yards.

PXL_20231021_160444559.jpg