• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What would you do different?

I don't think you need to spend on a march scope unless you plan on doing Ft competition. Three to four hundred dollars is enough to spend on a scope, there are disadvantages with both first and second focal plane optics; If you hunt longer ranges, get a range finder and stay away from high power scopes over 16x, for most air gun shooting. the field of view gets tiny; you will hate trying to find your target. "Fat" cross hairs,(reticals) like the UTG scopes use, are also annoying when they "hide" the target. Side wheel focus (paralax) adjustment type is far easier to use too. finally, scope weight adds considerably to the total gun weight, so consider that. I hate heavy guns for anything but Field target and bench rest, (competition). 

My main complaint with PCP guns is that there are only two kinds; the kind that leak air and the kind that are gonna leak, so you will eventually need to deal with it.

I have owned 2 FX impacts, in .25 and .30., and was not terribly impressed with the accuracy I got from either one; I did better with my FX Wildcat and even my Marauder grouped better. Remember that these guys that do the reviews are getting the best examples available to test and they are expected to provide good reviews, just like with any product. My current Impact needs constant attention; they have many parts and O-rings and are difficult(for me) to work on, compared to simpler guns. I have not been able to shoot it for weeks because of a gradual power loss issue that requires major disassembly work, that I am not confident doing myself. You will need a Chronograph also, to take advantage of all the tuning options, to get the most from this gun.

Compressors are getting really cheap, in the last couple years, and I have owned a couple of those 300$ "blue" Chinese units that do get the job done, although my second one had a faulty relay for the auto-shut-off, that took weeks to figure out and delete. these compressors are very inexpensive and easy to replace. If you shoot much, they will easily pay for themselves in a year or two, in trips to your local Scuba or Paint-ball store; FYI, I have found that Fire Stations and paint ball stores (in So California at least) will not fill your bottles or guns for love, beer or money. You will also need to add a real dryer(moisture separator) to these little compressors, (about 75$), for air gun use. I would recommend getting a cheap/used carbon fiber bottle with about a 60 Cubic foot capacity. this size will not over tax the cheap compressors but still will fill your gun a great many times. Recently "expired" bottles, in good condition, can be commonly had under 100$; they just can't be legally filled at commercial places. They can be reasonably expected to remain serviceable for 30 years if not over filled and moisture is kept out. "Fill station assemblies" for the bottle, with a gauge and bleed valve, run about 50$ for Chinese versions....again, they work fine if not abused. 

Don't waste time/money testing every pellet brand under the sun.....JSBs are nearly always the best and worth the extra cost in my opinion. There are lots of very good PCP guns now, some popular ones are Daystate, FX, RAW, Edgun, and Cricket to name just a few. I would not waste time looking at the "box-store" brands like Gamo, Crossman, Umerex, etc. however, the Benjamin Marauder is a really good PCP, even at twice the price, but it is very heavy for hunting use. if you know that you're serious about getting into the sport/hobby. Save yourself the time and waste of money working your way up to what you really want; get the best you can afford, then keep it. That's my philosophy about everything though. If you just want to get rid of the neighbors nasty cat, then a 100$, suitably quiet break-barrel or Co2, will get'er done. (Be sure to throw it in the street and let traffic flatten it good, so they don't find the entry wound).

If you are planning on shooting your new airgun in a place where you can legal shoot .22 rimfire - I would skip the airgun and get a suppressor for the .22. It will do everything an airgun will do but better, as long as you are legal. It will be more accurate, be more reliable, have better build quality than any airgun (especially if you are already shooting anschutz), more simple (don't have to constantly fill it up), etc. Or better yet, splurge and get a Vudoo in a JAE chassis with a Khales K525 scope and suppress it 😉

If you can't legally shoot rimfires and/or just want to take the airgun plunge, the FX Impact isn't a horrible choice. I'm really impressed with the Taipan Veteran - one of/if not the best trigger on an airgun - you will appreciate that coming from quality powder burners. Get a reliable compressor - preferably one that can fill a big CF tank. Get a big good quality CF tank for fills in the field. I would get an FFP scope - the Athlons are good for the price, crappy turrets and the zeroing system is horrible, but decent quality glass for the price. 

Good luck.

Thanks again for the input, guys. I really appreciate it. 

I’ve been looking that the guns recommended in this thread. Let me add another layer to this puzzle...I’m left eye dominant so shoot lefty. That was my primary concern with the Impact, but enough ppl have stated that it isn’t an issue. Now I see the RAW is fully ambi...and shoots lights out. So that is being added to the pro/con of both guns. 

On the Rimfire vs PCP, I like gear, kit, tinkering with new/different guns & styles. I have a TB 22 takedown in jail now for my ANA custom shop lefty 1727f. So the supressed rimfire world is on my radar. The PCP jump is more of a extra hobby/ money suck. 

On the maintenance issues of PCP guns, that doesn’t worry me much. I’ve reloaded for awhile & consider myself mechanically inclined, and am armed with the collective power of the YouTube! So I’ll tear into anything...but know enough to have a box ready to send the assort pieces to a professional to have them reassembled! Lol

The glass topic. I will admit it, I’m a snob. After my first couple tier 1 optics, it is almost physical pain to look through my lower quality scopes. I understand it is disminishing returns once you get above $1000 for a scope but you do indeed get what you pay for. 

Clean your powder burners really well before you start to shoot the PCP. It will be a long time before you go back to PB, imho. I can shoot PCP in my yard or at the range. The big guns rarely see the outside of the safe anymore.

^^^This. I hear my powder burners crying in the safe. Shoot almost everyday, don’t have to go to the club. Can also pest hunt in many places where I can’t use a rim fire.

Some really good tips around.

I do have an Impact x and if you are new in the pcp world I would recommend another one...the Marauder for example. The idea is to start with something simple, understandable, cheap, with a lot of mods, powerful and GOOD (Marauders qualifies there IMO). And then you can sell it and get whatever you want, been the impact x the best option (in my case). I LOVE IT

I have read that good pcp up to 100mt are also more accurate than powders (make sense since some pcp are very accurate, no recoil and very little temp change on the barrel). I do not say that (since my experience with powder is very limited) I read it on some "very fan" powder users. One example: https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/hunting/2014/07/harder-to-justify-my-rimfires/

For some the impact is easy for others complicated, @steeve mention something that I agree 100% " My main complaint with PCP guns is that there are only two kinds; the kind that leak air and the kind that are gonna leak, so you will eventually need to deal with it."   Then or you learn how to fix your gun (I did just searching over the net and youtube, is doable) or you will need a gunsmith and wait the time they took. If you go for the first option, the support that fx has is great...Ernest Rowe (head tech at fx usa) help me direct when I had doubts via email

Regarding glass, you have experience...just remember that "long range" on pcp is between 100 and 150 mt (some can stretch that to 200), no powder comparison there. 

Just keep in mind your thousands spent on PSPs will never return the value that a powder burner would when you decide to sell. I don’t think this is right, but it is true today. This makes no sense to me as there is much more innovation going on with PCPs then with powder burners and many of the manufacturers are the same. Don’t mean to be a downer. I have certainly invested heavily in this area myself. Just a reality we need to deal with. Love the March. I have a 1-10 on my Leshiy.

Siscoe

From the looks of what you're willing to spend and since you live in Colorado!

You might also want to take a look at Thomas Air Rifles.

Mike Niksch custom builds them and he lives in Montrose Co. Don't know how far away that would be for you?

http://www.thomasrifles.com/br-rifle.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXtXHwqs-mP2j4GPtRZgITA/videos

I've had one since 2016 and it's still my favorite air rifle. Of all the air guns I've had, it's the only one I was able to shoot a 250 score on a 25 meter BR card. Some have come close, but no cigar.

Now if you're looking something for 75 and 100 yd shooting, I would suggest FX, RAW, and Daysate in .22 cal or above.

1548040596_6830094105c453994473a28.98827635_29597366_1961542843857352_5306984524094004308_n.jpg

Fuss

What would I do different? I'd skip the HP thing. I bought a Red Wolf HP in .22, kept it only a couple of weeks. It's a great rifle, but as someone once said, "the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem". For the kind of close (50 yds max) and back yard shooting I do, the power is not only unneeded, but problematic. If I need the additional power, I'll use one of my rimfire rifles. I realize there are specific competitions for which the HP rifles are well suited, but I don't do them. The only small game hunting I do is squirrels, and they are tough rascals. With an air rifle I limit my shots to 35-40 yards, which gives me a high probability of a clean kill. Not to be critical, but I think many folks who talk of their 75-80 yard squirrel kill, don't say much about the other 5 or 6 that were poorly hit and crawled off. I digress, just suggesting that it's not always best to push the envelop too much. 

What would I do different? I'd skip the HP thing. I bought a Red Wolf HP in .22, kept it only a couple of weeks. It's a great rifle, but as someone once said, "the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem". For the kind of close (50 yds max) and back yard shooting I do, the power is not only unneeded, but problematic. If I need the additional power, I'll use one of my rimfire rifles. I realize there are specific competitions for which the HP rifles are well suited, but I don't do them. The only small game hunting I do is squirrels, and they are tough rascals. With an air rifle I limit my shots to 35-40 yards, which gives me a high probability of a clean kill. Not to be critical, but I think many folks who talk of their 75-80 yard squirrel kill, don't say much about the other 5 or 6 that were poorly hit and crawled off. I digress, just suggesting that it's not always best to push the envelop too much.

Agree! But do not forget that now you have the JSB Monsters Redesigned (25gn) and Beast (34gn) in 0.22 so HP is a must for those, normal airguns on 0.22 will not shoot those pellets good, and the energy those pellets have (at the right speed that HP give you), will assure you a clean kill (like a hammer! and very precise)... the Monsters on my impact X are incredibly accurate (more than the 18 and 15 gn IMO)

Agree! But do not forget that now you have the JSB Monsters Redesigned (25gn) and Beast (34gn) in 0.22 so HP is a must for those, normal airguns on 0.22 will not shoot those pellets good, and the energy those pellets have (at the right speed that HP give you), will assure you a clean kill (like a hammer! and very precise)... the Monsters on my impact X are incredibly accurate (more than the 18 and 15 gn IMO)

Yes, the Monsters were the only thing my Red Wolf HP would shoot. It was pretty terrible with the 16 and 18 (relatively speaking). It shot the heavy stuff well at all power levels, and the light stuff poorly at all levels. Plus, for yard use it has to be suppressed, and when you add that to an already long barrel, it gets kind of ridiculous. Again, I'm not knocking the HP thing for those who enjoy it, that's what hobbies are all about, it's just not for me. 

I Know what you mean, I enjoy my Marauder Prod a lot too...so quiet, and for distances up to 30 meters is a killer, 10mt is match grade accuracy, 20mt half inch and 30mt inch (and is just a whisper with suppressor)...but if you shoot up to 50 mt there is no need of HP, HP will benefit bere form 50 mt and beyond. Totally understand long barrel and suppressor, jaja too much! That is why I choose the impact x for hp and long range, but sometime I use it for rat @ 20 meters and damn hits hard...