What would you choose?

What’s the difference between the 30 and 50? Power output? And will they both be adequate in 22?
~7ftlbs vs 12ftlbs. The 30S is smaller, much easier to cock, stupidly quiet and perfect for smaller children. The 50S is quite a bit flatter shooting and incredibly accurate for its size. All scoped up its about 2/3 the weight of the 97K but still manages to maintain most of the 97Ks accuracy. Its a great lightweight hunting rifle. I would actually recommend both of them in .177 over the .22 though.

Also, in .22 if I'm not dead on with my holds and follow through those gun vertical string like nobody's buisness. The .177s are much more forgiving.

Last edited:
~7ftlbs vs 12ftlbs. The 30S is smaller, much easier to cock, stupidly quiet and perfect for smaller children. The 50S is quite a bit flatter shooting and incredibly accurate for its size. All scoped up its about half the weight of the 97K but still manages to maintain most of the 97Ks accuracy. Its a great lightweight hunting rifle. I would actually recommend both of them in .177 over the .22 though.
Only reason I asked about 22 is bc I don’t own anything in 177. I would much prefer something that'll shoot the metric ton of c pellets I have other than having to buy another caliber ammo. Unless you think they aren’t powerful enough to use in 22

Reactions: boscoebrea
Only reason I asked about 22 is bc I don’t own anything in 177. I would much prefer something that'll shoot the metric ton of c pellets I have other than having to buy another caliber ammo. Unless you think they aren’t powerful enough to use in 22
I have both guns in .177 and .22 and they both work fine but I find the .177s are much easier to shoot accurately. Aside from the pellets having less dwell time in the barrel, the significantly higher velocity just makes figuring out holds much faster. My .177 50S pushes an 8.44gr at 800fps whereas the .22 is a mortar at only 600fps with 14.66gr pellets. I’ve taken squirrels at 50yds with both though for what its worth. The 22 just took more practice.

If you absolutely want a .22 caliber, the HW50S or the HW35 or HW35E (walnut stock) would be the better choice. They both have internal features that the HW30 doesn’t have also. They are heavier and more to cock for the youth shooter however. Krale is the cheapest and fastest place to get one.
30/50/35: respectively Weight = lightest/middle/heaviest - Build Quality = good/ better/best

Last edited:
Reactions: JP806TX
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think the consensus is, the HW50 is the way to go. I’ve never owned anything in 177 before, so I’m a little out of my comfort zone there, but it seems the flatter trajectory is more beneficial than the larger caliber. This will be for inside of 35yds realistically, and I’ll probably be keeping it open sights.

Reactions: beerthief
Kim has a HW50S in .22. Great little gun. We use the JSB 13.43 grain pellets. Ups the velocity, about 660 fps as I recall and a little over 12FPE. I like it enough that I occasionally sneak it out. One thing to think about if you’re using iron sights is the cheek piece height. HW sometimes changes it around in different versions and you’ll want something low enough to be comfortable.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think the consensus is, the HW50 is the way to go. I’ve never owned anything in 177 before, so I’m a little out of my comfort zone there, but it seems the flatter trajectory is more beneficial than the larger caliber. This will be for inside of 35yds realistically, and I’ll probably be keeping it open sights.
Trust me, a .22 springer will put you way out of your comfort zone. I’ve had a few and they are angry. A tuned .177 is the way to go. Tonight my dad shot my tuned TX. He went and grabbed my old Webley Vulcan I gave him. He handed it to me and said do to this what you did to that TX. Tomorrow I will be on the lathe turning Delrin.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1