• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Would Be Your Tool of Choice for Big Oso?

Well, those videos sure have no relevance with the thread at hand,

No your problem is you are fixated upon one set of conditions and applying a solution which will probably suffice under those specific conditions to a large set of situations in which that solution will fail horribly.

The 12 gauge slug produces approximately 3, 000 ft pounds of muzzle energy. Under 50 yards it will punch through the shoulders of a bear like they were butter. It will flatten out to more than an inch in diameter while it does. 

The 30-06 180 grain nosler shooting at 2770 ft per second generates about 3,000 ft pounds of muzzle energy it will open up to about 50 caliber it will also break the shoulders of that same bear. In either case you have a quick follow-up shot. In 3 seconds with the shotgun or the 30-06 you can unload 9000 foot pounds of muzzle energy on that bear.

In either case whether we're talking about a 30-06 or 12 gauge shotgun we're talking about more than 10 times as much muzzle energy as most medium bore airguns.

Sure you can do it with a slingshot under exactly the right circumstances with perfect conditions and a little bit of luck. That doesn't make it advisable. 

6600 I have looked at the pictures of your arrow shooters they are impressive and I am sure they would do a humane job on a bear but if that bear had any possibility of charging me I'm going with the shotgun.

Admittedly some of that has to do with the fact that I was a bow hunter for many years and I have encountered black bear on foot alone in the words at very close ranges while only armed with a bow or a fly rod. I hasten to add I was unwilling to take a chance on pissing the bear off.

I don't think you get any chances to kick a bear out of a blackberry patch by accident in the Hawaiian Islands do you?

Jeez so fixated with power, and thinking that a bear is some kind of super animal.

In the words of Ishi " Black bear is just like pig "

Archers have forever and still do hunt bear and Grizzly on the ground with stick and string.

Also the OP situation and set up is supah conducive to do a bit of baiting ,....lets say with peanut butter, get that bear to stand still eating the spread and take that precise headshot, even in that video I saw multiple chances of a great brain shot. 

Hey you guys wanna wake up half of the town in the middle of the night with a boom boom ? ...go right ahead, I would drop it right there with a silent precise brain shot, no tracking, nothing, just go down and pick him up and process him.

That bear ought to be dead by now. Y'all shot him with everything from a sling shot to a bazooka,
1f602.svg
I thought I killed that bear on the last page.
1f601.svg

Hahahahahahaha !!!!

Different set of circumstances and a seemingly different sized bear, but more of what I had in mind. 

That texan will do that job for sure if you put the first shot where it's supposed to be. That rifle is delivering somewhere around 800 ft lb of energy. Given that rule of thumb is about one or two foot pounds of energy on impact for each pound of critter that rifle will do black bear just fine as long as you do your part.

@OldCrow I believe a .45 Texan would be adequate for within 50 yards on a small to medium sized black bear. Personally I wouldn’t want to risk pissing off a biggun. I’ve never seen a bear just drop and not move. Even when shot out of trees I haven’t seen one die instantly. I almost lost my dad on a bear hunt and we lost a tenacious bear dog to a bear. I understand what they are capable of. However I am intrigued by modern airgun hunting. I thought someone would have mentioned the AEA Zeus as a possible solution. I believe it’s .72 caliber. 

My point exactly, first hunter in the video clearly shot his bear with a Centerfire and it still run.

This is your argument for using LESS power?

Give me the precision brain shot with a super accurate easy to shoot Airgun and I take it anyday,

Drop it right there, ......silent so not to disturb the neighbors.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering but I'm going to try this one more time.

Absolutely what you are talking about is quite possible. That one shot in that one situation would work fine using even an under-powered rifle, something like a 22 rim fire for example. That was not OPs question, and from his response above, it seems he was asking a general question. That question was, "What would you use for a big bear?". Check the title. And the answer is something powerful enough to kill it inany situation safely.

The bear is not going to stand still for you in every situation and let you put that puny little pellet in that ping pong ball sized spot. Now then, a wounded bear, pissed off and roaming the neighborhood, is probably going to earn the ire of your neighbors. Who knows? They might even decide that you were negligent and had made a horrible mistake and then sue you till you bled out if, for example, the pissed off wounded bear killed one of their children. Which is the first concern in that situation... not their beauty sleep.

Your point is well made. In THAT SPECIFIC situation you could do it with damn near anything. In some other situation you might not be so lucky. I've seen videos ON THIS FORUM of shooters having a hard time killing a GROUND HOG with a .357 Bulldog... So ...

Let's let common sense also have a say, shall we?

Well that is your answer,...and there's tons of stories of people screwing up big time because they rely on overwhelming power rather then patience and knowledge.

I can give you countless examples where it can go wrong even with big power too, as you try to do with Airgun use.

Go ahead and take your big Boom Boom in that situation shown by the OP,......I take my precision and silence anyday and twice on Sunday, again in that setting the OP has shown.