• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What would be the best projectile

Hello, I’m new to air rifles. I have a Hatsan mod 125 vortex (.22) coming in on Friday. I have plenty of experience shooting centerfire rifles. In my experience different guns like different ammunition. So my question is, what are people shooting this rifle like the best? I will be using it to kill squirrels up to 60 yards. The squirrels have now ate electrical wires on at least 5 cars around my house. They must be eliminated. TIA.

Hatsan mod 125 vortex (.22) coming in on Friday. I have plenty of experience shooting centerfire rifles.
In my experience different guns like different ammunition. So my question is, what are people shooting this rifle like the best? I will be using it to kill squirrels up to 60 yards.

You are spot on — each barrel likes different projectiles.

But before you buy one of each available in .22cal — easily over 100 😳
here are some principles that will make your selection easier (and cheaper 😆).

1️⃣
Domes (round nose) have a higher BC, and therefore less wind drift.
This is significant if you have any kind of wind — because unlike firearm projectiles the airgun pellets have a terrible BC.
Below I attach a comprehensive pellet BC table. Missing on that table are the Dead Center pellets from JTS — those just came out and are getting good reviews.

2️⃣
Quality of the manufacturer:
You get high quality¹ from:
● JST (Dead Center), RWS, Norma, SIG, Crosman

And highest quality¹ from:
● H&N and JSB (incl. Predator)
If you want ultimate precision, especially for extended ranges, it's worth spending the extra pennies, it's not a whole lot more like with firearms ammo.... 👍🏼

3️⃣
Weight is important, because again, unlike centerfire rifles, airguns don't have immense power — and springers (gas spring or steel spring) like your gun have even less power.
Note however that you bought one of the most powerful springers out there. 😉

➠ This low power will make the trajectory rather steeply curved.
➠ And that will require you to make elevation adjustments often.
➠ And that will also require to range your target rather precisely.

➠ ➠ So, to reduce this somewhat, and to extend your point blank range — it helps if your projectile is not very heavy for caliber (and for the power you have available).

▪ For your power level (28-30FPE), and
▪ for your caliber (.22), and
▪ in order to avoid getting too close to the speed of sound which will make your pellet loose precision (max. around 950fps),
➠ the typical weight range of available pellets would be:
From 14.3gr (cheap Crosman)
to 25.39gr (JTS, JSB)

4️⃣
It pays to shop around.
Some sellers have deals like Pay-3-Get-4. However, they only give you the cheapest pellet tin for free.
If you buy a variety, it's better to buy from a seller with low prices to begin with, like www.TrenierAirguns.com

5️⃣
Packaging of pellets is critical during shipping, because bent pellet skirts translate into fliers and misses.
Amazon is the worst offender of the bunch. Sellers who specialize in airguns are usually much better.

6️⃣
You didn't ask, but just to make sure you start out well:
Airguns of the springer type like yours are extremely harsh on scopes, because of a double recoil (unlike firearms). Magnum springers like yours are scope killers.
Ask in the forum about this particularity. You don't want to ruin your nice scopes. 😊

7️⃣
Airguns of the springer type like yours, because of the double recoil, have a special technique for shooting them, and this will be even more important for a magnum springer.
The technique is called the artillery hold.
Again, ask the forum.
BTW, you might get more advice on springers at the GTA (www.GatewayToAirguns.org).

You'll have lots of fun. 😊

Matthias

¹That's my opinion, I don't have scientific proof. However, in the pellet reviews of Hard Air Magazine certain brands score high, and other don't.

❌ Attachment
BC Table .22cal

View attachment PELLETS. BC Table. .22cal.pdf

Welcome to the group

My 125 shoots both these very well. But your rifle could be different, Try a few different pellets, the gun will let you know what it likes best. The same goes with the hold. Each one is a little different.

20240521_162002~2.jpg

Reactions: maxtrouble
Actually I really like the looks of this round. What kind of drip do you think I’m looking at 50 yards with 20 yard zero?

View attachment 466408

Depends on your speeds, but probably about 1-1.5mil drop at 50. But I highly recommend you get to know your gun with pellets first. Slugs can be....frustrating. Even for experienced airgunners.

1, clean that barrel before you shoot anything through it. Ballisol is your safest option for all airguns.
2. Check all the screws are tight.

I don’t have a collection of pellets like a lot of people, but I have a good deal to test with. From shooting most brands of pellets, through approximately 10 different Airgun manufacturers, I always try the JSB’s and Crosman first.

Ive really hoped I’d have a rifle come along that prefers H&N, because I love their interaction on the forum, but unfortunately most of my stuff prefers JSB. But you never know, so I still try.

This was a few months ago, I have more now 😂
Now there is a stack of JSB and FX 18gr because that is what my Concept Lite prefers.
IMG_2621.jpeg

IMG_2618.jpeg

IMG_2619.jpeg

Reactions: maxtrouble
Actually I really like the looks of this round. What kind of drip do you think I’m looking at 50 yards with 20 yard zero?

View attachment 466408

sorry to burst your bubble,
but truthfully,
slugs are for pcp airguns,not break barrels

never saw a break barrel ever shoot them with anything resembling accuracy.

a break barrel calls for pellets,
pick up some jsb or h&n pellets.

Your gun has sufficient power (28-30FPE) to shoot the light slugs (NSA has one as light as 17.50gr, even the 22gr FX Hybrid could work):

However — like others remarked, if you are looking for
▪︎ precision beyond 20y (squirrel kill zones are tiny!) and for
▪︎ consistency —
slugs are very often(!) frustrating. 😵‍💫 (Slugs are one of the airgun rabbit holes that can be fun — but it is a deep hole indeed....)

Pellets are much more accomodating — most airgun barrels are manufactured for pellets (with a tight choke).

Matthias

Last edited:
@straufler - Hello and welcome to AGN. I suggest putting up a peanut feeder and then practice shooting at that distance. 20 to 25 yards is plenty of room for squirrels when there are peanuts involved.

Forget about slugs. They do not work in break barrels. I went down that dead end rabbit hole already, do not bother.

Purchase some good pellets and practice shooting. JSB or H&N pellets are the best. Trenier Airguns or Pyramid Air are the best pellet vendors. Buy once cry once on ammo.

Here is an excellent write up by an AGN member that might save you some time and effort.

Have fun!

You are spot on — each barrel likes different projectiles.

But before you buy one of each available in .22cal — easily over 100 😳
here are some principles that will make your selection easier (and cheaper 😆).

1️⃣
Domes (round nose) have a higher BC, and therefore less wind drift.
This is significant if you have any kind of wind — because unlike firearm projectiles the airgun pellets have a terrible BC.
Below I attach a comprehensive pellet BC table. Missing on that table are the Dead Center pellets from JTS — those just came out and are getting good reviews.

2️⃣
Quality of the manufacturer:
You get high quality¹ from:
● JST (Dead Center), RWS, Norma, SIG, Crosman

And highest quality¹ from:
● H&N and JSB (incl. Predator)
If you want ultimate precision, especially for extended ranges, it's worth spending the extra pennies, it's not a whole lot more like with firearms ammo.... 👍🏼

3️⃣
Weight is important, because again, unlike centerfire rifles, airguns don't have immense power — and springers (gas spring or steel spring) like your gun have even less power.
Note however that you bought one of the most powerful springers out there. 😉

➠ This low power will make the trajectory rather steeply curved.
➠ And that will require you to make elevation adjustments often.
➠ And that will also require to range your target rather precisely.

➠ ➠ So, to reduce this somewhat, and to extend your point blank range — it helps if your projectile is not very heavy for caliber (and for the power you have available).

▪ For your power level (28-30FPE), and
▪ for your caliber (.22), and
▪ in order to avoid getting too close to the speed of sound which will make your pellet loose precision (max. around 950fps),
➠ the typical weight range of available pellets would be:
From 14.3gr (cheap Crosman)
to 25.39gr (JTS, JSB)

4️⃣
It pays to shop around.
Some sellers have deals like Pay-3-Get-4. However, they only give you the cheapest pellet tin for free.
If you buy a variety, it's better to buy from a seller with low prices to begin with, like www.TrenierAirguns.com

5️⃣
Packaging of pellets is critical during shipping, because bent pellet skirts translate into fliers and misses.
Amazon is the worst offender of the bunch. Sellers who specialize in airguns are usually much better.

6️⃣
You didn't ask, but just to make sure you start out well:
Airguns of the springer type like yours are extremely harsh on scopes, because of a double recoil (unlike firearms). Magnum springers like yours are scope killers.
Ask in the forum about this particularity. You don't want to ruin your nice scopes. 😊

7️⃣
Airguns of the springer type like yours, because of the double recoil, have a special technique for shooting them, and this will be even more important for a magnum springer.
The technique is called the artillery hold.
Again, ask the forum.
BTW, you might get more advice on springers at the GTA (www.GatewayToAirguns.org).

You'll have lots of fun. 😊

Matthias

¹That's my opinion, I don't have scientific proof. However, in the pellet reviews of Hard Air Magazine certain brands score high, and other don't.

❌ Attachment
BC Table .22cal

View attachment 466381
Very good post!

Reactions: JungleShooter