• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX What would be a good first pcp rifle

It will most lik be hand pump and graduate to a compressor, I think the Hatsan airmax is a pellet primary gun, the fx dreamline lite are worlds apart but I’m leaning towards fx dreamline series. It’s just so hard to put out that kind of money not knowing what to expect.
FX Dreamline is a nice gun. As stated, on the lower power side of FX guns, but maybe you don’t need tons of power. For $25, the add on plenum is a very simple to install, moderate bump in power.

If you’re not shooting past 50-60 yds., you may not need slugs. My Dreamlines (Classic & Lite)only shoot the lighter slugs at desired slug speeds, with the regulator at moderate level to get at least two magazines.

Do yourself a favor and forget the hand pump. Might sound like a big number, but for around $500 or less, depending on model choice, you can get a GX compressor that will more than satisfy your needs without the need for extra paraphernalia to cool it. Portable, 110 or 12V.

IMG_0330.jpeg

dreamline may or may not shoot slugs well,
its on the lower end power wise for the fx guns.

and slugs will nearly always need tuned for,
and with it being your first pcp it can be easy to get your settings out of whack and not be able to return to your starting point.

also,
a chronograph is a must have tool for tuning,
you can't know what the gun is really doing without one.

and i dont how good of shape youre in,
but pumping bottle guns is NO fun! lol

there are guns designed for slugs,
(they have unchoked barrels,
compared to guns designed for pellets that have choked barrels)

agt uragan 2 and vulcan 3 are designed for slugs,
and gotta say,
i LOVE my uragan 2,
it makes me warm and fuzzy-er :cool:
I think slugs are nice BUT unless you're really reaching out a pellet works just fine. My Mavericks will shoot both but I rest them too darn heavy for me to hold.

It will most lik be hand pump and graduate to a compressor, I think the Hatsan airmax is a pellet primary gun, the fx dreamline lite are worlds apart but I’m leaning towards fx dreamline series. It’s just so hard to put out that kind of money not knowing what to expect.
I can’t stress enough to new pcp owners how important it is to sort out where you’re going to get your air from waaaaay before you buy a gun. It does not appear you have come to a solid conclusion on this matter yet, and if you haven’t looked too hard at that issue I urge you to before getting too excited and spending a lot of money on a gun. I will say that if you can get your rocks off for a little while longer with whatever you are shooting now, to save and buy a quality compressor. Everyone on here has a different opinion of value, but there are not any low-cost compressors.
That being said, if you only want a field gun to hunt small game, then a hand pump might be the most value in terms of longevity, reliability, simplicity, and portability. If you plan on doing a lot of hunting; taking more than say 40 shots per outing, depending on gun, this might require refills, so something to think about is whether you are going to go back to your vehicle and pump it by hand every so often.
Lastly, you said ”first pcp”, which means you plan to buy more. Hand pump gets old quick. Also, if you want to transport and fill without some kind of electrical or mechanical pump then you will need to invest in a cylinder or two as well as fittings, hoses, and regulators, which are also somewhat large investments, depending on your situation.

airguns are awesome, I have too many! I don’t want someone to make the mistakes I did in the beginning by being pumped about cool guns, then realizing I hadn’t financially planned everything out as well as I should have to reliably fill said cool guns with good quality air.

I have an Edgun Lelya 2 in .25 and I kill pests for cash. Light, handles well, accurate out to 100. Doesn’t like slugs. Carries three mags on board, as well as the one loaded in the receiver. VERY simple to work on. VERY rugged. Not cheap and the US dealer has rubbed some ppl the wrong way over the years. I put this at the bottom because it was less important.

Have a chance to get this, .30 cal
.30 cal. might not be your best choice as a starter. Way less choice of projectiles and they are a bit more expensive. Uses significantly more air to get good velocity. However, if the price is right, a caliber conversion is really easy and not too costly.

Problem is, to go to .22 the air tube on a .30 cal. gun is longer than a .22 barrel kit. Not a problem if you don’t intend to use a moderator.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
Air Venturi Avenger. Reliable and as accurate far above its price point. Your save hundreds over an FX that can be spent on ammo and accessories. A Taipan Veteran would be a great alternative in the same price range as the FX.
Why not spend a little more for the avenge x since it fixed many shortcomings of the avenger?

this might help.

.30 cal. might not be your best choice as a starter. Way less choice of projectiles and they are a bit more expensive. Uses significantly more air to get good velocity. However, if the price is right, a caliber conversion is really easy and not too costly.

Problem is, to go to .22 the air tube on a .30 cal. gun is longer than a .22 barrel kit. Not a problem if you don’t intend to use a moderator.
I should have mentioned that the same barrel/ airtube problem exists with adding a plenum to a .177/ .22 Dreamline gun.… 500mm barrel, short airtube. Donny FL was able to supply me with a 1” extension as a custom order, to match the 20mm OD of the shroud.

I want one I can do pest control and plinking. I want to be able to shoot slugs, I like the way they perform vs pellets
slugs ricochet and carry further than a pellet that will deform much more and not travel as far in most cases , a 16 gr. 22 cal. pellet leaving the barrel at 900 ft kills a ground squirrel at 75 yards no problem , need more power 25 cal. slugs can get finnicky and in most cases more money per shot , and most guns either dont shoot them as well or need a lot of setting up and work to shoot them well, a 22 cal is a great place to start , and my favorite cal ,

Reactions: Dan V
I’m in the market for a pcp rifle. Trying to find out what would be a good start with a pcp. I like the looks of the fx Dreamline series. let me know what you all think?
I would look for a pre-owned Daystate Huntsman in .22 - regulated or non-regulated . . . Bolt or side lever cocking . . . your choice. Beautiful traditional walnut stock and top shelf quality and accuracy throughout.