What Was Your First Pellet Rifle?

Crosman 107- Traded a buddy for it, probably 1981? Kept it for a long time, passed it on to a buddy a few years ago. Rough condition, but it shot well.

009.1618172752.JPG

Love the "custom" fore-end band! Where did you get it.
1f609.svg

There was a leaf spring that held the forearm closed. It eventually broke, and the custom band was fabricated by yours truly from material donated by my dad the electrician! Velcro straps were not common back then....

My Dad had an H&R 16ga single shot shotgun circa 1948. The 1st model of the "Topper" It had weak post that the fore-end snapped onto that was redesigned in later models. He had nylon strapping tape as a forearm band. It worked quite well until I had the post repaired. I never allow the action to drop against the post anymore. The ejector is spring loaded so it is only necessary to allow the action to open to a certain point where the ejector is triggered.

I bought a .22 caliber Crosman model 140 pumper in 1963 with paper route money. I believe that I paid $35 for it at the time. I used it extensively when I was a teenager.

When it wouldn't hold air, I sent it to Mac1 for repairs about 20 years ago. I just pulled it out from storage and found that while it appears to be holding air, it doesn't fire. It had some sort of automatic cocking mechanism, so that's probably what's wrong now.

It was a pretty rifle to my eyes!

crosman_140_refinish-3-Edit-800px.1618852622.jpg

crosman_140_refinish-7-800px.1618852632.jpg

El Gamo 68-XP in .22 caliber was my 1st pellet rifle. The review of which is here.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017/02/el-gamo-68-xp-22-caliber-part-3/

Marketed as a 10m target rifle. I used it for hunting. It was about as powerful as a Crosman 1322. Using it taught me to stalk game. To get in close before firing.

Technically speaking, my 1st air rifle was the Daisy Quick Kill. Same rifle used to train soldiers in Vietnam to use reflexive, deflection shooting. Thanks to that I've never had a problem hitting running game w/ a rifle. Or w/ wing shooting.

I am thinking after my first along came a second and third and fourth and then it was hard to decide which was the best.

Or is the best. In time a collection of PCP, pneumatic, side-lever, under-lever, break-barrel and other weird things came into my life after the initial pellet rifle.

I found the sling shot to be more interesting than most close range air rifles and the West German one called BSF at incredibly low velocity for a break barrel was a "precision" instrument compared to the sling shot.

All air rifles following my initial or first "owned" air rifle are rifled air rifles while the "first" air rifle I fired was a pump bb gun by a friend who lived nearby. He could hit a moving volley ball at 25 yards or a flower petal at 10 feet.

It was a pump operated bb rifle with the pump working in reverse to what other pump action rifles usually do.

I shot it at the tree and stopped, gave it back.

I had not yet encountered a rifled air gun yet and when it came it was 1969 in Carson City.

A BSF.

.177 Break Barrel made in W. Germany

I used it open sighted the way it came and put a Weaver V6 rimfire variable on it. I had the D4 fixed Weaver rimfire on my 9422M that gave 1.25" groups at 100 yards.

It was an excellent pellet rifle that actually shot more pellets than any other rifle I've owned because it was my only pellet rifle. Say 10,000 rounds easy without replacing anything like the spring which was never wrong when it was time to open up the rifle.

So the first rifle we experience to launch us forward to send a projectile into the 50 yard range with air is the best pursuit anyone takes the time and dedication to do.

All first air rifles got us here but along the way we wish it was another air rifle we finally settled to! I settled to HW98 for all and everyone as the best of all calibers; but if that rifle is too expensive stick with the break barrel from HW. 

And the sidelever D54.

I had some no name .22 break barrel that someone had fired with the barrel down, this one bowed upwards because of it. 

The first one I bought myself as a young teen was a BSA Meteor mk2 with no rear open sight. Took me a while to find one for it but the town gunshop, near my grandparents farm, had some bits and pieces that made a complete one. I bought the rifle from a second hand store for £30. It cost me £35 for there rear sight! 

After that it was the one I wish I'd never sold, a brand new Diana 38 Firebird. If I'd have known back then that the wasn't many made, I wouldn't have sold it