• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What was your first Pellet Rifle?

The year was around 1968. I got this old and worn Crosman 101. The world just changed for me. (borrowed pic)
5CE7A742-B981-4776-B160-B461E701B81B.1640477286.jpeg
B pic.

as far as 'gun love' the one i built and restocked myself .. for practicality around the home to deal with various incarnations of walking fecal matter ive been grabbing the 177 stormrider the most lately .. it hits hard, shoots flat, has reach, lightweight, quiet with a donny on it, and itl punch their ticket in a heartbeat when they get stupid ...

Just like TiredRooster my very first pellet rifle was a Crosman 760. I received it for Christmas in 1979. I also put the hurt to many birds in my blood thirsty youth. I kind of feel bad about it now but I guess boys will be boys. That rifle is still in my gun safe to this day; although it could use some new seals.

Kenny

Ditto ! Parents bought a 760 for me on Christmas of 1967. I was 10 years old. I lived in Southern California at the time and during the summer of 1968 we went on a cross country trip to Gowanda New York to visit friends and family. I took it with me on that trip. Believe it or not but I even bagged a groundhog with it. Shot through the eye at 10 ft while it tried to hide from me in a grassy thicket. My parents friends had a 16 year old son who hunted woodchucks with a .22 rimfire didn't believe me so I took him to the spot and he was brave enough to reach into the spot and retrieve my first (and only) woodchuck. I wasn't going to reach in there for fear of being bit ! The BB (yes !.. a BB !) had penetrating the thin bone structure at the back of the eye and penetrating the brain. A true story and a testament to the power of Power Master 760.

Good question!

My older brother got a 760 for Christmas in '67 and that set the hook for me. He shared it with me occasionally and I treasure those memories. Unfortunately, he was a little less than responsible with it. So I didn't get one when my twelfth Christmas came around.

So... I traded a couple of Cox .049 models for a Crosman 180 that belonged to a friend when I was fourteen. The parents let me keep it, and here we are.

Be well,

J~

My first one that shot pellets was probably a Daisy 880. Took quite a number of squirrels and rabbits with it back then. Never had a clue about velocity or power, I just knew it was enough. 

I remember seeing the Diana's in the big Cabela's catalog and lusting over them. But the pricetag wasn't even close to within reach for me or my folks. 

I bought a new 880 a few months ago to try and relive my childhood. After tinkering for a few hours it ended up in the trash can...... :)

That part of my childhood I'm fine to leave behind lol

Santa brought an early "tootsie roll" Benjamin 347 in the late 60's (it replaced the wood-stock Crosman M1 BB gun, which I subsequently foolishly sold to a neighbor kid for pocket change). My brother got a Sheridan a couple years later, we absolutely wore those suckers out for years. 

Both guns are still with us and still shooting fine. The poor Benjy ate so many pellets without the courtesy of a barrel cleaning that it's basicallly a .185 cal smoothbore now though!

Good question! My older brother got a 760 for Christmas in '67 and that set the hook for me. He shared it with me occasionally and I treasure those memories. Unfortunately, he was a little less than responsible with it. So I didn't get one when my twelfth Christmas came around. So... I traded a couple of Cox .049 models for a Crosman 180 that belonged to a friend when I was fourteen. The parents let me keep it, and here we are. Be well, J~

" I traded a couple of Cox .049 models "

Ah yes ! The days of the little two-stroke motors ! Remember it well !