• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What was your first Pellet Rifle?

WIN_20211226_20_11_19_Pro.1640567560.jpg
not a pellet gun but first gun i bought with my own money i was 14 years old i think i paid around 14 dollars for it in 1975 no questions asked by owner of gun shop it still shoots i wish i would have saved the box

My first was a Crosman 2100 when I was about 8 years old in the early ‘80’s. I got a Crosman 1377 shorty after.
I remember thinking back then why doesn’t Crosman make a rifle that was like the 1377. 

Well 35 years later I got one of the first Crosman 362’s to come out last week. It’s exact what I wanted when I was a kid. 

I’m just waiting on the steel breech. 

EE276341-F084-42F5-B8C0-C5CEBB146C96.1640614598.jpeg

It was 46 years ago and don't remember which model, just that it was an inexpensive Marksman break barrel that for a 12 year old was great for knocking cans off the back fence and shooting things I shouldn't have been...lol.

Fast forward 46 years and needing a quiet way to rid the yard of a raccoon, bought my first new break barrel in all that time. Been a roller coaster since then and while I downsized, I still have 28 from various makers...lol.

My folks got me a Sheridan Silver Streak 5mm in 1957/58 . Great rifle, accounted for many ground squirrels and pigeons at our friends commercial turkey ranch. Accounted for a raingauge once and lost it for a week or two from upset parents.

Steve

My Dad got me a Sheridan Blue Streak with scope for my 7th birthday. What was he thinking? 

I could barely pump the gun, but spent many a day hunting in our 1.5 mile Ravine behind the house.

The Crosman 760 Pumpmaster was my first air rifle. I also owned a Benjamin 397, but the Crosman 2100 was my favorite multi-stroke pneumatic. 

As for spring piston rifles I had a used Crosman 6100 (old style Diana 45). I sold that one, but a few years ago found one on the classifieds. I replaced the spring and shortened the barrel. Mac-1 recrowned the muzzle and installed their Gen II brake. I plan to keep this one. 

On Christmas in 1970 a Bluestreak with a Williams peep replaced my Daisy. Starlings already hated me from the Daisy, something they have remembered over the last 51 years.

The Sheridan opened up a new world. My neighbor and I had exclusive access to the pasture on the north end of the hill. We'd grab our rifles and the dog after school, not coming home until the bull horn wailed. I learned enough about ground squirrels that I did my Ecology Merit Badge on their impact on the ecosystem. On rainy days the stock came off and got another coat of Beachwood Casey's Tru-Oil followed by steel wool, well over 30 coats, beautiful. Tim McMurray refreshed it in 97 and it's still going strong.

I don't shoot it much anymore. Age has made it uncomfortable to pump for more than a few shots. It's still a joy to thwack an unsuspecting blackbird in the palm tree that's 53 yards from our deck. The rest of the time it's an ornament, resting in a hallowed spot behind my guitars which are at an arms length from my chair. I've been through five amazing dogs with my Bluestreak, having it in my field of vision is a constant reminder of the blessings we have shared.

I was about 9 or 10 in the mid-80s and my dad got a Daisy 880 (multi-pump pneumatic) in trade for something. He set up a little target range in the basement and it was a big event for us to shoot it together. He locked it up somewhere and we were not allowed to shoot it without him around. It was really The Family Air Rifle and not mine per se.

Several years later, I got a Crosman 760 Pumpmaster that was my own. It was not as good a gun as the Daisy 880, but that 880 was made before Daisy really started getting cheap. It had a metal receiver and the plastic stock was very nice.

I was really after top accuracy so I shot almost nothing but pellets through that Pumpmaster. Little did I know it was a smoothbore. No WONDER it shot BBs at least as well as pellet.

Meanwhile, my brother had saved a bit more money and bought himself a 66 PowerMaster, which was a bit more powerful and had a rifled barrel, and he shot nothing but BBs through it. I remember he also got one of those horrible 4x15 scopes with it, and I could see the BBs corkscrewing downrange. :)

I killed a lot of birds with that PumpMaster though, and that was really the bug that never let go of me.

At work this week, I just sold a break-barrel that I didn't want to let go of to a colleague to get him into airguns. It's a tuned Stoeger X20 S2. He likes plinking with his .22 rimfire, but ammo gets expensive and the noise and all that stuff. (he has land, but also a family) He is delighted to be shooting cans at 25 yards for so cheaply, but doesn't take it seriously as a hunting tool.

My daughter (9) has a Daisy Buck (shortened Red Ryder) for her first airgun. It's the only one around with a short enough length of pull for her tiny body. I can't wait until she gets a bit bigger and can shoot my HW30s. She has the challenge of being right-handed, but left eye dominant, so she's just shooting lefty now; she's young enough that she picked it up with no problem. My fiancee had her first airgun shooting experience. She too is right-handed, but left eye dominant and shoots lefty. She likes shooting the HW30s, but finds it hard to cock. I had her try PCP, but she things the scope is too hard to use.