• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What was your best day of pest control

In case you didn't know, Texas is grackle central.
A couple decades ago I had a grackle problem. A huge hackberry tree stood in my side yard. Much taller than the other trees in the neighborhood. A flock of grackles decided that was going to be their new roost. From early morning to dusk they pooped, called and whistled to each other. Literally hundreds of them. What to do?
I knew a little about Beeman guns but there were no dealers around here that I knew of. Unsure of what to do I knew Cabelas sold pellet rifles so I went there and bought a Gamo spring gun and a blind. I sat out there every weekend for months. I must've killed thousands of them. Since that time, the tree died and was cut down and the grackles decided Walmart's parking lot was a safer place to live.

With an air rifle, 8 squirrels in under 5 minutes. With a powder burner in the 1980's, legally shooting deer, 20 in at most 7 minutes. Thankfully the field had just been harvested and not prepped for planting yet so I could drive the tractor with trailer to pick them up, tag them and not have to drag them. Field dressed them where the farmer told me to, hung them in a small reefer a butcher provided and drove to the butcher that donated his time to grind them up for food banks. Shot that farm for 3 years, that was the fastest I filled the reefer, longest it took me to get 20 was maybe 3 hours or just over, just because I had to hit two or three fields and drag them out by hand to not damage planted field. 20 was the magic number since that completely filled the very small reefer box, was a very tight fit. Had over two hundred tags every year and could have shot that many in a day but I didn't want the meat to go to waste. You couldn't use any part of a deer shot on crop permits there, either bury them, let them rot, or jump through the hoops to get legal permission and paperwork to donate. The farm was around 2,000 acres. Did it anywhere from 2 to 4 times a year. An overzealous game warden spied on me from the woods one time, watched me shoot, drag the deer out of the field, get on the tractor and drive to a deer, get tag off post on tractor and tag deer, throw on trailer. He threatened to arrest me but ended up giving me a written warning, the letter of the law in that state said you can't move a crop damage permit deer without tagging first. I can't stand people like that.

• Wow
Reactions: JaceSpace1369