• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What was the first semi automatic pellet gun?

Aaaand that’s the exact analogy I made lol. It’s frivolous to argue that a double action is technically a semi auto. For over a hundred years Gun makers have established what is a semi auto and what’s a double action.
I agree that with traditional firearm designs it is a black and white distinction. I think there was a WW2 Webley revolver variant that was a semi-auto functioning revolver that functioned as a single action semi-auto (like a M1911), but that's the only one I can think of. You would never see a discussion/debate on this subject regarding PB's on a PB forum.

The distinction gets gray with airguns By the very nature of how air arms and their ammunition work it is not possible to replicate/analogize(?) every step of a PB semi-auto operation to a cooresponding stage in a "semi-auto" air gun function. Some come closer but I'm not aware of an air powered arm that: fires, extracts, ejects, cocks, feeds, and locks with one function of the trigger using the energy of the shot. Extract & eject are out since air guns don't use cartridges.

Reactions: Miami Airgunner
I agree that with traditional firearm designs it is a black and white distinction. I think there was a WW2 Webley revolver variant that was a semi-auto functioning revolver that functioned as a single action semi-auto (like a M1911), but that's the only one I can think of. You would never see a discussion/debate on this subject regarding PB's on a PB forum.

The distinction gets gray with airguns By the very nature of how air arms and their ammunition work it is not possible to replicate/analogize(?) every step of a PB semi-auto operation to a cooresponding stage in a "semi-auto" air gun function. Some come closer but I'm not aware of an air powered arm that: fires, extracts, ejects, cocks, feeds, and locks with one function of the trigger using the energy of the shot. Extract & eject are out since air guns don't use cartridges.
Yup. It’s a moot point to bring up the mechanism that ejects the cartridge. That aside, the AEA semi autos are closest to what us PB guys know as a semi auto.

I would only consider it a semi auto if the bolt was blown back from a gas tube and port coming off the barrel. When the bolt blows back it would cock the hammer, the magazine auto indexes, and the bolt would be spring powered to push the pellet into the breech and seal.

The rotating magazine style like the 1077 and the crosman 1008 pistol were very similar and are just double action only setups.

The evanix ar6k style is SA/DA. You can cock the hammer and index the mag and set the trigger, or just pull the trigger and it cycles the action. That's basically a revolver too. So when people say the 1077 is semi auto I can't get my brain to agree with that because it's just a revolver and revolvers aren't classified as a semi automatic.

Aaaand that’s the exact analogy I made lol. It’s frivolous to argue that a double action is technically a semi auto. For over a hundred years Gun makers have established what is a semi auto and what’s a double action.
Somebody just needs to tell the manufacturers.....

Crosman® RepeatAir® 1077 CO₂  .177 Pellet Air Rifle, Black

Multi-Shot, Semi-Auto CO₂ Air Rifle

Somebody just needs to tell the manufacturers.....

Crosman® RepeatAir® 1077 CO₂  .177 Pellet Air Rifle, Black

Multi-Shot, Semi-Auto CO₂ Air Rifle

They market it as a semi auto because the average person would lose their mind if you told them that's a double action revolver. Heck, alot of gun owners don't even know the difference between single and double action.

Slightly OT but I'm still waiting for the market to bring out a "stick magazine" fed semi auto pcp for shooting specifically "slugs". A short mag for hunting that won't stick out the bottom of the gun and longer ones for plinking or comps.

Then design the feeding around only a few lengths and weights of slugs, and one shape of the ogive, for reliability's sake.

Yes, this can be done and a lot easier for these to feed than say 22rf or shotgun shells. Also no extraction or ejection needed. Most lead slugs are waaay tougher than pellets are even when made of pure lead and when lubed are quite slick which will aid in both touching one another in the mag and feeding from it.

Bring it to us! And while you're at it make these airguns built robustly in every way like as if it was a nice firearm.

Hate to contribute any more to this thread but there is such a thing as a semi auto revolver. The recoil cocks and rotates the cylinder rather than the trigger. Look them up.
So yes technically a revolver can be a semi auto or a maybe I should say a semi auto can be a revolver. But who cares really. Let’s just go out and shoot the dang things and have some fun. 🙂

Crosman 600 was a true semi automatic pellet pistol in .22. Still the best semi auto pistol in my opinion. 1960's Don't know if it was the first but it was definately very early. Great examples are selling on ebay 300 to 900. Mac1 Airguns can keep them running.
I owned a few 600's years ago and they were awesome. I believe they started making them in 1960.. They are blowback, and true semi auto.. So it's at a "minimum" 58 year old tech for the pellet gun world..

Reactions: ba49
Slightly OT but I'm still waiting for the market to bring out a "stick magazine" fed semi auto pcp for shooting specifically "slugs". A short mag for hunting that won't stick out the bottom of the gun and longer ones for plinking or comps.

Then design the feeding around only a few lengths and weights of slugs, and one shape of the ogive, for reliability's sake.

Yes, this can be done and a lot easier for these to feed than say 22rf or shotgun shells. Also no extraction or ejection needed. Most lead slugs are waaay tougher than pellets are even when made of pure lead and when lubed are quite slick which will aid in both touching one another in the mag and feeding from it.

Bring it to us! And while you're at it make these airguns built robustly in every way like as if it was a nice firearm.
This guy created a stick mag but it’s for an AEA bolt action repeater. Shouldn’t be too hard to make one for the semi auto AEA airguns. Or for other manufacturers to incorporate the stick mag into a design with the mag under the receiver instead of sticking out the side.
6DC68374-59E9-4B70-BFB1-B1BFE799C518.jpeg
33DE8A84-6E27-4920-8591-F7D9C085B749.jpeg

The stick mag fed would be awesome but then slugs would need to have a rim to catch on the feed ramp and not spring all the slugs out and jam the action. Other option is gravity fed but then you have the mag sticking upward. Depending on the capacity and caliber it wouldn't be too bad that way.

I'm pretty sure there doesn't need to be a feed ramp at all. The slug can be presented by the mag lips directly in front of, and directly into, the chamber just like the round cassette mags we use now via the probe.

Also quite sure that double stack mags can be made to work like is conventional in the firearms world.

This guy created a stick mag but it’s for an AEA bolt action repeater. Shouldn’t be too hard to make one for the semi auto AEA airguns. Or for other manufacturers to incorporate the stick mag into a design with the mag under the receiver instead of sticking out the side. View attachment 303464View attachment 303463
Interesting.

For slugs with grease grooves I suppose this is a solution but.....

I'm pretty sure there doesn't need to be a feed ramp at all. The slug can be presented by the mag lips directly in front of, and directly into, the chamber just like the round cassette mags we use now via the probe.

Also quite sure that double stack mags can be made to work like is conventional in the firearms world.
That's what I was meaning, the mag lips. As long as the spring pressure under the slugs doesn't force them up and out all at once, it should work. Might be easier to accomplish with waisted pellets but then the mags would have to be designed for specific pellets. And 18 grain wouldn't fit a 14 grain mag etc.