• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

What was the first semi automatic pellet gun?

Ostensibly, the Crosman 600 was the first semi automatic pellet pistol, and came around in the 60's, but what was the first semi automatic pellet rifle?

I got the rare Google "Oh, that's not on the internet, please help us to get an answer" response when I googled it. :)

So, what was it? :)
Screenshot_20221103-011832.png

If I'm not mistaken, the 1077 is actually a double-action revolver disguised as a semi-auto; like several Co2 pistol models. Some would argue those are not true semi-autos.
To be clear, yes, I am indeed trying to suss out the first semi auto that relies on gas (or other?) operation, since it does fundamentally differ from the revolver design. Still, the 1077 is interesting and adds a great data point for my knowledge around this, so it's totally relevant, if not the exact answer I'm seeking out. :)

I'm also thinking of reasonable power as well, nothing that is useful only as a toy, so not something that tossed lead at 350fps. ;-)

Last edited:
With the definition changing I can't say whether this fits or not but there was a Chinese patent for a semi automatic air rifle filed in 1992
That's pretty cool, though, after examining the patent, it appears to be a bad translation, as there is quite clearly a bolt involved in the action. Unless, of course, that's a cocking handle, I guess it could be?

Looking at the action it'd have to be an open-bolt design, if that was the case, which I guess works, maybe?

Screenshot_20221103-143848.png

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the 1077 is actually a double-action revolver disguised as a semi-auto; like several Co2 pistol models. Some would argue those are not true semi-autos.
It's a semi-semi-auto:D
Not sure what was the first semi auto pellet rifle but according to this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosman_Nightstalker the Crosman Night Stalker was the first semi auto pellet rifle featuring a blow back action. Produced in 2005
View attachment 302796
It looks... Klingon

The closest air gun analogous function to a PB semi-auto would be if a portion of the air or CO2 released from the valve when shooting operated the indexing of the magazine or other portion of the gun to feed another pellet/BB into firing position AND recocked the hammer. Any effort on the trigger that feeds/indexes the next round and/or cocks a hammer is "double action".

Some would argue that Yeah. But if you pull the trigger and it fires?
That's semi auto to me.
Semi-auto (in a PB) "officially" is a single function of the trigger that performs the following sequence once using solely the energy of the firing: Fires, extracts, ejects, cocks, feeds, and locks.

Semi-auto in an air gun? I would look for as much in common as practical/feasible with the aforementioned PB sequence of operation. Since an air gun does not use cartridges with separate projectiles and casings I would look for: Pulling trigger releases a hammer which opens a valve releasing propellant gas that shoots the projectile. There is no extraction or ejection with an airgun. The next projectile would be fed into firing position either by means of a magazine spring (BB guns like the Beretta M9 or Umarex MP40 replicas OR a rotating/indexing magazine is rotated solely by means of the gas used firing the shot. The hammer would also need to be cocked using energy from the gas used in firing. Technically this step does not apply to striker fired PB's, don't know if there are "striker operated" airgun gas valves. There is no feeding with airguns. I don't know enough about if some more powerful PCP's "lock" or not. Regards