• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What was an absolute game changer for you in this sport?

Several things really;

- A good range finder and Strelok Pro. I still get a kick out of how close and accurate it can be when all the parameters are set.

- A rifle stock with an adjustable cheek comb and recoil pad makes a world of difference for eye and scope alignment to include comfort. Fit the rifle to you and not the other way around.

- A height adjustable drum stool. For bench shooting, AKA shooting with "crutches", I find it necessary. I sometimes switch between different shooting tables or benches with different heights. Being able to adjust the stool to get my elbows in a comfortable position really helps my shooting technique.

I think my AAH-HA moment was at the first field target match I attended in 1987? We gathered on a farm in northern Virginia and had the first field target match and the creation of the Capitol Area Field Target Asociation began. I was privileged to have been a part of that asociation as the members were a group of fine gentlemen. I was hooked 😳

The best change i made was i now label each gun and pellet tin that shoot well together, it was frustrating grabbing a gun and pellets and allowing that pest to get away only wounded. I'll never be a marksman but quarter -25 cent holes at 40-50 yards are always welcome. This made this hobby much more enjoyable .

It came in waves....

(1)
Realizing what how an airgun scope suitable scope is not just any scope: It needs finger adjustable repeating turrets, and/or it needs a holdoff reticle with evenly spaced hash lines....
And buying one, of course....

(2)
Getting and using a laser range finder. in combination with a chrony and with Strelok Pro.
For long range it's just so amazing: Dial, aim, kill. 𖦏

(3)
(with apologies to my friends from the "side that has the light":) Moving to the Dark Side.

Matthias 😊

For me it was going from springers to PCPs. Quiet, no recoil, multi-shot magazines, no special hold requirements, just aim and shoot.
Same for me Hawkeye. I loved my FWB124 and shot lots of critters with it but when I got a Marauder in 22cal it was the best. Now my Royal 500 and 400 are all I need. Hope to meet up with you in October.

For me the game changer was watching competitors and listening to their rational for XYZ. When I shut my mouth and listen I am always amazed at the things I learn. I've shot airguns now for 25+ years and I am still learning every day. 25 years from now I will still be learning and that is the best part of this journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first gun 3 1/2 years ago was a Benjamin Discovery with pump. I was 64 and needed Olympic training to pump it. My buddy (Mentor) only preached magnums or larger. So I got a HW90 next, nightmare from Hell. Would of been shoulder replacement if I kept jacking the 90 at full power.
The game changer was a TX200 .22 my next purchase. I never looked back, hooked on springers. I keep the Discovery as a reminder. Crow

Game changer in two ways.

Discovering that slugs were vastly superior to pellets at farther distances past about 125Y. Sometimes my two sluggers can just about do as well as my rimfires at 200y and beyond.

And swaging my own slugs is very inexpensive. I can make 4400 of them for $160. Also each one is very uniform and pretty much exactly like every other which I think is so cool.