• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

What type of rest is most used for 100 yrd competition target shooting?

Hey guys new PCP noob here. I'm looking for information and advice on the folliwing:

What type of stableization devices are people using in competion precision shooting at 100. yds? In assuming its either a bi pod
, front rest or bench rest? Which is most used and why? From watching lots of youtube videos it looks like bipods are the most prevelent but dont understand why. I would assume you ŵould have a more stabilized shot using a front rest or bench rest. Can somone please shed some light?

The answer depends on the rule of the competition. Some comps let you use a one-piece rest, other demand a two-piece rest. You can use bipod front with mono pod or sand-bag rear rest. Some rules state a maximum weight of the gun and or the sandbags.

For fun shooting, I use a tripod turret from Caldwell or bipod and bags. You gun will have different harmonics for each set up. My bench rifle will double the group size if I have the rear rest too far forward. Moving the rest 1/4" makes a difference for that gun - and it shoots groups that show that difference.

This is what i use with the slippery cloth top added both PB's and Air rifles

This is what i use with the slippery cloth top added both PB's and Air rifles
That's a beauty but a little to rich for my blood. Is this allowed in competitions if so which ones have you used this in ?

Hey guys new PCP noob here. I'm looking for information and advice on the folliwing:

What type of stableization devices are people using in competion precision shooting at 100. yds? In assuming its either a bi pod
, front rest or bench rest? Which is most used and why? From watching lots of youtube videos it looks like bipods are the most prevelent but dont understand why. I would assume you ŵould have a more stabilized shot using a front rest or bench rest. Can somone please shed some light?
Dan

Friends, let's be more serious, I have been following Extreme Benchrest competitions for years - after 2011- and Utah Airguns RMAC for. I'm a Airrifle benchrest shooter at 25 and 50 meters (WRABF), but I have also started benchrest at 100 yards a year ago.
According to the rules of EBR and RMAC competitions, there is no specific restriction on the use of rest, so my suggestion for someone who wants to seriously follow these competitions is to use a rifle with a specification BR stock to be placed on BR rests.
Although most of the shooters have been shooting in this field for many years, they use Bipod for shooting. Ordinary bipod or sandbags do not give you the accuracy and functionality of BR rests. Maybe the reason for this is that the shooters are participating in several disciplines and competition (BR , PMC, FT etc), which makes them not have a special rifle for the 100 yards benchrest.
Personally, I use a special benchrest rest (ME Slovenian coaxial rest) for myRTIarms Prophet, which I have prepared to be placed on the rest by connecting plates to the stock.

Reactions: dgeesaman
I wish I stil had my Randolf.

Randolf front rest.jpg

Friends, let's be more serious, I have been following Extreme Benchrest competitions for years - after 2011- and Utah Airguns RMAC for. I'm a Airrifle benchrest shooter at 25 and 50 meters (WRABF), but I have also started benchrest at 100 yards a year ago.
According to the rules of EBR and RMAC competitions, there is no specific restriction on the use of rest, so my suggestion for someone who wants to seriously follow these competitions is to use a rifle with a specification BR stock to be placed on BR rests.
Although most of the shooters have been shooting in this field for many years, they use Bipod for shooting. Ordinary bipod or sandbags do not give you the accuracy and functionality of BR rests. Maybe the reason for this is that the shooters are participating in several disciplines and competition (BR , PMC, FT etc), which makes them not have a special rifle for the 100 yards benchrest.
Personally, I use a special benchrest rest (ME Slovenian coaxial rest) for myRTIarms Prophet, which I have prepared to be placed on the rest by connecting plates to the stock.
For 25Y or 50Y BR the typical nice rests like Randolf, etc, work great but for the HUGE 100Y BR cards the aforementioned rests don't work the best. This is because the sighter bulls are on the bottom of the paper up to a 3 feet away from the upper bulls. I used a one piece rest before and by the time I transitioned from sighter to bull my widow of opportunity for the wind I wanted to shoot in had changed some which cost time me time and hindered my score.

If I were to shoot this type of 100Y match again I'd use a F-class type bipod for the above reason. This way the transitions are much quicker.

Reactions: DMTman and sadeqtm
There are coaxial style rests (SEB is an example) and good solid rests with screw adjustable windage and elevation (Sinclair is an example). It seems like the good ones weigh 30 lbs or more. The Sinclair is about $600 and the SEB is several thousand dollars, I believe. I am not serious enough about benchrest shooting to make this sort of investment.

Reactions: sadeqtm
For 25Y or 50Y BR the typical nice rests like Randolf, etc, work great but for the HUGE 100Y BR cards the aforementioned rests don't work the best. This is because the sighter bulls are on the bottom of the paper up to a 3 feet away from the upper bulls. I used a one piece rest before and by the time I transitioned from sighter to bull my widow of opportunity for the wind I wanted to shoot in had changed some which cost time me time and hindered my score.

If I were to shoot this type of 100Y match again I'd use a F-class type bipod for the above reason. This way the transitions are much quicker.
I have never used one piece rests for bench rest shooting (same rests used in ARA competition). When I started the benchrest, I used a front rest similar to Randolph rests (local smith made), which had vertical and elevation movement with a screw, later I bought a coaxial rest (ME rest made in Slovenia) with SEB rear bag, which allows me to shoot faster. I have no problem using the sighter on 100 yards EBR or RMAC targets. (we use RMAC format)
Next August we will participate in the world championships in Pilsen Czech Republic and in late September we have a 100 yards champs in Iran that I will participate in. I will definitely share my next experiences with you.

Reactions: DMTman
There are coaxial style rests (SEB is an example) and good solid rests with screw adjustable windage and elevation (Sinclair is an example). It seems like the good ones weigh 30 lbs or more. The Sinclair is about $600 and the SEB is several thousand dollars, I believe. I am not serious enough about benchrest shooting to make this sort of investment.
SEB run $1200 for a Mini-X to $1600-2000 for a Neo or Neo Max.

I love my Mini-X but I don’t know how many moa it takes to cover an EBR target. Most of these rests are just enough to cover a rimfire target at 50y/50m.

David

Reactions: DMTman and sadeqtm
I have never used one piece rests for bench rest shooting (same rests used in ARA competition). When I started the benchrest, I used a front rest similar to Randolph rests (local smith made), which had vertical and elevation movement with a screw, later I bought a coaxial rest (ME rest made in Slovenia) with SEB rear bag, which allows me to shoot faster. I have no problem using the sighter on 100 yards EBR or RMAC targets. (we use RMAC format)
Next August we will participate in the world championships in Pilsen Czech Republic and in late September we have a 100 yards champs in Iran that I will participate in. I will definitely share my next experiences with you.

That's good to know your rest has that much travel.

My PQP one peice rest barely has adequate travel and takes too much time to get to the upper targets bulls.
My old 1st Gen Farley joystick rest is the same way and nessitates adjusting the rear bag which gets a bit annoying.

Reactions: sadeqtm