• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What to use as rust prevention if you can't find mp5 oil?

I read that wd40 is not good for the O ring. I used some wd40 to remove some rust spots on the outside of the gun keeping it away from the breech. But I also see rust specks around the seal that I want to remove. The internet is a good source of information but there are a lot of contradicting opinions when it comes to oils/lubes. Can be somewhat confusing for a newbie like me.

Ballistol seems to be what I need. hope I can find it here.

You don't want to use petro based products inside an airgun, but they are fine on the outside. I use ballistol, rem oil, kroil, wd-40 and silicone spray. All seem to work fine, but I don't give any of my guns much chance to rust. All my guns both firearms and airguns are kept in safes with desiccant and before putting a gun back in a safe, I wipe them down completely with a silicone rag sprayed with one of the above listed sprays. I keep the rags in ziplocks. Put one in each safe and a few out in my shop. I have never used it, but have heard that froglube is really good stuff?

I've been using the Frog Lube/Oil on all my guns and my shop tools. All of them have been out in my shop with no heating or A/C. Have thought about getting a De-humidifier but so far I haven't had an issue with rust! Frog Oil does have an issue (sticky buildup) if you over use it. I check things over every month or so and "lightly" apply if necessary and then wipe down. The only down side is the price. I use the preoiled wipes ($8.00 at Field & Stream) and they seem to last longer.
LarryK

"Bleudg"I've been using the Frog Lube/Oil on all my guns and my shop tools. All of them have been out in my shop with no heating or A/C. Have thought about getting a De-humidifier but so far I haven't had an issue with rust! Frog Oil does have an issue (sticky buildup) if you over use it. I check things over every month or so and "lightly" apply if necessary and then wipe down. The only down side is the price. I use the preoiled wipes ($8.00 at Field & Stream) and they seem to last longer.
LarryK
i use frog lube too

TDKI read a bunch of threads and tests a while back and ended up trying CorrosionX. It is a very slick lubricant, safe on rubber/plastic, and really sticks to metal. I'm still using it and swear by it. You will probably have to order it, though, as it can be difficult to find in stores.

I got corrosion x at Academy sports. It's a major favorite with firearms. Shouldn't be hard to find.