• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What to do with your " Perfect Rifle"

JoeWayneRhea

Apr 5, 2015
. Picked this 22 Carbine up a while back and it in a word has been Incredible ! Everything been tuned by Ernest, Stock finished and durable and looks cool , Scopes as good as it gets under 500$ . ... Why am I bored with it ??? It's a frigging disease when you wanna tear a gun down and polish it up and try to refine it even further and then you just reach that " It's finished " stage ...... Now it just sets there .
I know my next gun won't outshoot it or do anything else better than this one .... What is it about me , and a lot of you :) that just can't resist a new challenge . It'll probably find itself on the classifieds before long and the sick thing is ....I'll kick myself soon as a deal is sealed ...MY ASS NEEDS HELP. LMAO

Joe,

Welcome to my world!!! I know just what you mean. For me it is all about the tinkering and improving but once that's all done - what next? Shoot great groups and never miss anything - BORING! I've spent around two years customizing my HW100, had it apart more times than I care to think, made new bits with better tolerances including a lovely shinny brass pellet probe (I love a rifle with at bit of bling) and tuned it to within an inch of its life - 4 fps ES over 40 shots. I've tried just about every pellet ever made and pulled out plenty of hair when a new batch of pellets won't group like the one before, but then find a good pellet combo and it is back to a tack driver again. And obviously I have stressed over the ubiquitous to polish the barrel or not - of course being a tinkerer I did polish the barrel! My next "project" is DIY night vision - just waiting on lots of bits to arrive from China. And after that project who knows? Maybe I will build a robot human to shoot for me! Just kidding.

Would I ever sell my HW100? Nah probably not but I feel your pain. My advice to you Joe - DON'T SELL IT! You'll be crying into your cereal the next morning after it is gone.

All the best,

Chris in Oz

Man I just did the same thing. I traded an incredible Vulcan.25 BP for a FX Wildcat.25 which is do to be delivered today but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the gun and it was extremely accurate. I miss it already and the worst part is I don't even know if the Wildcat will be able to shoot as good I just took a leap of faith and I'm beyond hope that it's as much a tack driver as the gentleman I traded with says it is. The top picture is the gun that is due for delivery today and below is the beautiful Czech girl I dumped for her. 

There's nothing wrong with making a gun the best it can be and then selling. The 'project' is often just as fun as the product. I have lots of guns I've sold and wish I could have back. 
Lone eagle .243, Red label over/under, Hammerli Xesse. The change is a lot cheaper than what that long legged girl friend would cost you. Especially if you're happily married like me😆😂

Go shoot something with it. Pigeons, ground squirrels, groundhogs, vermin. You need to use all that accuracy and good looks for a purpose. You can only have so much fun target shooting. I've shot thousands of pigeons, doves and black birds and it's more fun than ever. Mount a camera on your rifle and see your hits(and misses). Just don't sell it! Have fun, Scott

I found a semi-cure for this same disease lately. 

For me, the problem starts with "this pcp gun is great, if only it had...." Lately, the "if only" was carbon fiber stocks and luckily for me, nobody seems to make them for air guns.

Anyway.... I have been building my own stocks and other parts using composites. It has become a new obsession but it takes up a lot of the time I spent searching the web for new air guns. 

My wife now wants to know when I will have made enough stocks to be satisfied because our basement currently looks like this:

http://postimg.org/image/svu3h2u0z/

I told her it will be done when I am satisfied that I have the lightest stock possible. For example, this cf Cricket stock weighs 9oz so far:

http://postimg.org/image/8n6pvcupv/

It is 2lb lighter than the original.

The challenge is that it has to look identical to the original when it's done. I highly recommend this as an alternative if you are tired of buying new air guns. It kinda scratches the same itch and it requires far less skill than carving wood stocks (which I always find tedious).