What the heck - never seen one of these

So I'm doing some digging for a friend and come across this picture(s) of two Team Crosman shooters who are holding Marauders in a stock which is something the likes of which i have never seen: @Airgun-Revisions question ? does Crosman have a FT team?
Field-Target-Hans.jpg

Field-Target-Ray-312304353.jpg

Last edited:
Those pics are pretty old. I got started in ft close to 10 years ago and remember seeing those pictures when I was researching field target. Father and son....Hans and Ray.

Hans passed some years ago and I don't know if Ray has competed since we had lunch after the 2020 NYS FT match.

Hans and Ray Appelles were largely responsible for the very existence of Crosman's Marauder rifle, having worked closely with Crosman with valuable input on design and features, and testing feedback from their perspectives at the highest levels of American field target competition(s). The bullpup stock was adopted for easier packing and travel to distant matches. I think they might have also contributed similarly to Crosman's Challenger model; possibly others.

A further bit of trivia- At one point the AAFTA BoG was about to impeach Ray for reasons I don't now recall; but although I didn't like him at the time, I talked the BoG Chairman out of doing so by suggesting they give him the opportunity to resign. And that's what happened.

Attached is my match report of the 2009 U.S. Field Target National Championships mentioning not only Hans' and Ray's podium placements, but the placings of other FT legends of that era (a few still active). The match report also documents the birth of Pistol Field Target competition, the first Pistol FT National Championship, and a LOT of other interesting field target history that even FT newbies might find informative and entertaining.

By the way, there has never been a Crossman team.:oops: It's spelled C-R-O-S-M-A-N, with ONE s.

View attachment 2009 Nats for A.H..pdf

Last edited:
Like they said, Hans & Ray. Thank them (and others?) for the externally adjustable airgun hitting the consumer market.
Oh the concerns of consumers adjusting ( NOT a tune people) there own rigs but the times were changing.
Yup, the Discovery with THREE (WOW) external adjustments and 2 stage trigger-which did not make it to market in the discovery as originally planned.
They built nice stuff!
Picture taken at "The Play Ground of Champion's" Roz's GOB club in TN.

John
aa.jpg

Man, I can remember back when I took an interest in FT, I wanted one of the guns the “A Team” had so bad I could taste the red paint. I just knew I could pick up at least ten more “X” with one of those.
There’s a video floating around out there where one of them is lighting (or extinguishing, don’t recall) match sticks.
Ahhh… a walk down memory lane..

Hans and Ray Appelles were largely responsible for the very existence of Crosman's Marauder rifle, having worked closely with Crosman with valuable input on design and features, and testing feedback from their perspectives at the highest levels of American field target competition(s). The bullpup stock was adopted for easier packing and travel to distant matches. I think they might have also contributed similarly to Crosman's Challenger model; possibly others.

A further bit of trivia- At one point the AAFTA BoG was about to impeach Ray for reasons I don't now recall; but although I didn't like him at the time, I talked the BoG Chairman out of doing so by suggesting they give him the opportunity to resign. And that's what happened.

Attached is my match report of the 2009 U.S. Field Target National Championships mentioning not only Hans' and Ray's podium placements, but the placings of other FT legends of that era (a few still active). The match report also documents the birth of Pistol Field Target competition, the first Pistol FT National Championship, and a LOT of other interesting field target history that even FT newbies might find informative and entertaining.

By the way, there has never been a Crossman team.:oops: It's spelled C-R-O-S-M-A-N, with ONE s.

View attachment 450257
Correction made!

Yes there is currently a Benjamin shooting team but not these guys. This is an old pic.
Shawn Pragle (pcp cell leader), John Solpietro ( lead engineer) , Ethan Butterfield( Benjamin engineer) the other guy I keep forgetting his name but also works in the PcP cell.
There are stand in shooters from the plant as well when one can’t make an event.
Ed Shultz is another shooter and went to EBR last year.
All are Crosman employees from executives to production

Reactions: cavedweller
.View attachment 450466
Ray had the coolest 54.
Had the pleasure of shooting my first field target match with Hans, very nice man, gave me some good pointers. I also got to try Rays D54, I think it weighed over 20 pounds, that thing was heavy! If I remember correctly, I think it also had an electronic trigger too.