AEA WHAT THE HECK…3500+ FOOT POUNDS OF ENERGY FROM A .95 caliber AIR RIFLE

What's the over under on how many threads there will be on this ticking bomb? This makes at least 3 so far.

I've refrained from making the comparison because I know people wanna be hyperbolic over this accident waiting to happen but 3500ft lbs isn't really that big of a deal, definitely not as extreme as it's being made out to be. There are several centerfire rounds that deliver that much energy. My .257 WBY makes that much power with an 80 grain bullet and it's just a lil ol 1/4 bore rifle :sleep:

It's a lot for an airgun. Noone is refuting that but it's not a world record for energy by a long stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frozenspyder
What's the over under on how many threads there will be on this ticking bomb? This makes at least 3 so far.

I've refrained from making the comparison because I know people wanna be hyperbolic over this accident waiting to happen but 3500ft lbs isn't really that big of a deal, definitely not as extreme as it's being made out to be. There are several centerfire rounds that deliver that much energy. My .257 WBY makes that much power with an 80 grain bullet and it's just a lil ol 1/4 bore rifle :sleep:

It's a lot for an airgun. Noone is refuting that but it's not a world record for energy by a long stretch.
I meant in general…like your general deer cartridges (.270, .30-06, .300 WIN MAG) depending on load…he said 3500 FPE is also on the conservative side.

Also, unless you’re shooting a 80 grain projectile at 4500 FPS…you’re not achieving 3500 FOOT POUNDS of energy…

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that people don't realize how bad this is for the hobby. Same for full auto.
I don't really think it is. It's an expensive novelty that's way too big, heavy and slow shooting to be practical for criminal use. It's not the kind of thing that little Billy is going to accidentally shoot his sister with or G-Dog is going use in a drive-by shooting. The biggest hazard that this is likely to present is when some knucklehead thinks they can make it backyard friendly.

In most parts of the country an 18 year old can buy a 460 Weatherby over the counter and you literally never hear about any crime being committed with such rifles.

Yep, give it some time before the ship is sunk. One crime with this and its over.
One crime, one accident or one overzealous politician.

And yes it is EXACTLY the kind of thing serious criminals who don't want to get caught with a firearm will be attracted to.

Like I said, it's unfortunate that people don't realize that. Just because people don't agree, or don't want to hear it, doesn't mean we are wrong.

In most parts of the country an 18 year old can buy a 460 Weatherby over the counter and you literally never hear about any crime being committed with such rifles.
That's directly related to the fact that people who go into the store to buy hunting rifles aren't the kind of people who intentionally commit violent crimes with firearms. Criminals don't buy their guns "over the counter". Claiming otherwise is detached or ignorant.

And yes it is EXACTLY the kind of thing serious criminals who don't want to get caught with a firearm will be attracted to.

Like I said, it's unfortunate that people don't realize that. Just because people don't agree, or don't want to hear it, doesn't mean we are wrong.
Heck, they go after PB that are protected by the 2nd amendment, they will have a field day with AG.

I remember reading about Dennis Quackenbush and Gary Barnes having this same discussion regarding big bore airguns back on the old yellow forum 20+ years ago.