What The FX Pocket Chrono Should Have Been - Rechargable

I hate buying disposable batteries and I've heard the FX pocket chronograph really eats the AAA money wasters so I modernized it.

I desoldered and removed the 6 battery connectors from the main pcb and removed the plastic battery tray portion from the case and battery compartment cover with a rotary tool. Insulated the back of the pcb with a foam sheet and wired in a 124050 3200mah Li-Po battery pack with integrated bms and added a charge port.

Capacity for three AAA Duracell batteries in series is 970mah vs 3200mah for the Li-Po pack so I'll have about triple the run time now and be able to recharge at least 1000 times.

The battery cost me $8.70 delivered from virusland. FX could've had them built this way for about $2 more per unit. FX stopped including the tripod base also so I had to 3D print one.

Link to battery pack.
5.5x2.1mm charge port
Charger / AC adapter
Link to 3d printable bipod base file

lionfxchron - Copy.1649851536.jpg
lionfxchron2 - Copy.1649851537.jpg

61x5n9WOURS._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

81M35ggIqQL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

Last edited:
I’m surprised ppl use these things. 
imo, it just add another level of uncertainly to testing stuff with pcp.

I used to own one, got rid of it pretty quickly. It never seemed to repeat well, and the numbers seemed to be rounding up or down. To add to that, the best part about it…hanging it on the barrel is kinda dumb because it messes with your guns harmonics and poi. 
I’ll stick with my old pro crony…when I have the funds I’ll get a lab radar. 

I still use AA batteries in mine. I don't use it often enough for them to be a large expense.

When I tried AA rechargables, they didn't seem to supply sufficient voltage for very long at all - much shorter life time (per charge) than alkalines. Having a 3200mAh pack in is probably really nice for a power user - which is probably the target market of most FX owners.

I just bought rechargeable batteries when I bought the FX chrony.

Same here. I keep 3 Eneloop batteries in the charger and 3 in the Chrono. Whenever the red light comes on I just switch the batteries. Works like a charm. The mod suggested above is pretty cool though, even if i just don’t have the time or inclination to commit to a project like that.

For those who don’t like the FX Chrono due to functionality reasons (as opposed to battery life), I really don’t get it. Mine is every bit as accurate as my Pro-Chrono, much easier to set up (i.e. no real setup), and is useable indoors and outside with no trouble, as opposed to having to set up the diffuser outdoors or the light set indoors. I love it.

Chris

...How often do you guys use your Chronographs?...

Whenever I get a new gun, and whenever I am trying a new/different projectile. Just from the former, my FX Pocket Chrony gets used a lot! ;) It certainly does have some issues, but the convenience factor wins for me. 

I don't worry about POI changes when it is mounted on the end of the barrel as my testing is a 2 step process - 1) How fast are the pellets traveling and 2) how accurate are the groups at that speed. And if I was worried about being able to save pellets to do both at once, I would just set the unit onto the shooting bench near the muzzle, or get a tripod adapter for it. In the very few times the Pocket Chrony has not feasibly attached to the barrel/shroud of a certain gun, I've just set it on the table near the muzzle and gotten numbers that way.

I really like it as a tool. I have not tested its numbers against anything else, so I can't say how inherently accurate it is. It is sometimes a PITA to have to change batteries so often. But overall it is so usable that I sold my Lab Radar fairly soon after I bought the FX. I'm certain that the Lab Radar is better and more accurate (and has more capabilities with down range velocity measurements), but it stayed in its case most of the time, and the FX Chrony gets used regularly.

EDIT: And I was remiss for not saying "thanks heavy-impact - nice job with the battery mod and thanks for sharing." As good as the FX Pocket Chrony currently is to me, there are others on this board who have the knowledge and skill to pretty easily make it better and even more usable.

That is a great idea and looks like a fairly simple mod.

I found the Kentli lithium AA batteries several years back. They seem to last as long or a little longer than the alkaline batteries and are rechargeable up o 1000 times.

https://www.amazon.com/kentli-batteries/s?k=kentli+batteries

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty911
I’m surprised ppl use these things. 
imo, it just add another level of uncertainly to testing stuff with pcp.

I used to own one, got rid of it pretty quickly. It never seemed to repeat well, and the numbers seemed to be rounding up or down. To add to that, the best part about it…hanging it on the barrel is kinda dumb because it messes with your guns harmonics and poi. 
I’ll stick with my old pro crony…when I have the funds I’ll get a lab radar.

I have LabRadar. And I use the FX Chronograph much more. The FX has much more portability and I don't attach it to my barrel:
Als Taiapan Vet 700mm CZ .1649908034.JPG

Reactions: Headshots