What The FX Pocket Chrono Should Have Been - Rechargable

Wonderful mods you're doing
I just bought a LiPo battery following heavy-impact hints and I'm not sure where to connect the wires for recharging the battery pack.
In the connector?, in the battery board? or in the Chrony board?
Or are all the same?
Would you please give me some advice?
Thank you.
The charger on a LiPO battery goes up to 4.2V, and current limits after that. Once the battery reaches the 4.2V, current can no longer flow into the battery. My testing here on the FX Chronograph voltage levels say that you are fine to run it in the 4.2V range, so you could theoretically leave the charger plugged in while you were using it.

Your charger and the battery hook up to the same place. The charger will current limit, so there should be no issue with it being hooked up at the same time.

Good luck on your mod, following @heavy-impact lead.

Mod done, many thanks to @heavy-impact for leading me in the right direction.

IMG_8102.jpg

IMG_8103.jpg

From building cables for Pro Chrony and Shooting Chrony cables?
It looks to me that serial port only needs the USB stuff to connect.
There's already a 10K resistor on the board itself in place.
Code 01C on that resistor.

Only need the cables I ordered to arrive to wire to the Prolific adapters I have to see if I can read from it.

Reactions: txcomp and bigHUN
🤞
Only need the cables I ordered to arrive to wire to the Prolific adapters I have to see if I can read from it.
Let us know. This could get interesting. If going through a USB to serial converter, those signals are most likely logic level UART signals. Should be straight forward.

Reactions: txcomp
Was scheduled for Monday but USPS did a bang up job getting them moved across Country.
Nice!

JST ZH stuff should be here today!
I feel silly asking now, but reviewed your previous posts and didn't see you mention. Is the power going to that connector? I zoomed in on one of the pictures I took, and it clearly is connected to the plane on the pin second from the right:
JST Connector Markings.jpg

Also, the far right pin has a thicker trace going to it than the other two, so that would be my suspicion for the V+

I'm sure you tested this, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. I'm anxious to see what you find out.

With the connectors I can finally test all that. That is a tiny area so I didn't want to just probe around with my equipment.
Here's a female socket ready to solder in for the Power. I pulled 2 pins and it fits perfectly.
jst-socket.jpg

I did not want to do a permanent connection for power so waited to get the JST stuff. That will allow changes like an internal battery if I choose.

I bought 10 sets and will glady sent some if you'd like one or 2.

Last edited:
Here's a better picture of the resistor 01C connections.
Much better!

That shows the Right Pin bridged to the 2nd from Left pin.
A resistor with "01C" printed on it is a 10K resistor, so that is a big value. That is a pull up resistor. The left two lines may be I2C, which requires a 10K pull up.

Notice too that the ground plane necks down to a trace as it goes under R28, and then becomes a plane again. The fact that the right pin goes to one side of that resistor lends more to that being a pull up. I'd venture to guess that you will find another 01C resistor pulling up the line on the left too, if you follow it to where it is going. I'm feeling pretty good that the right pin is V+, and the second from the right is Gnd. The other two are most likely comms, and I would doubt it was UART with the Rx and Tx lines because they don't get pulled up.

Anyway, my $0.02. Good work, @Privateer !

Reactions: Privateer
I'm far from an electronics expert. I'd rate myself as a Hack! LOL!
I have made cables for other chronys and kind of following that as to how I go on this.
It will probably be next week before I get real serious as Sunday is my Nuther Year Older Day.
I may even go buy a new VOM as the one I have was carved outta rock by Neanderthals.
:ROFLMAO:
It's probably older then some members here!

I may even go buy a new VOM as the one I have was carved outta rock by Neanderthals.
:ROFLMAO:
It's probably older then some members here!
LOL! I've got a really old analog Simpson meter that I am sure that is true of that one too. I'm pretty sure it is even older than I am, and I turn 50 this year.
Sunday is my Nuther Year Older Day
Happy birthday @Privateer !!! We're looking forward to hearing what you find out.

Reactions: Privateer