What table vice do you use?

This might be overkill for a desk, but it’s been good to me for 7 years. Bessey is the brand. Securing it to a solid bench/table is critical.

IMG_5686.jpeg

This might be overkill for a desk, but it’s been good to me for 7 years. Bessey is the brand. Securing it to a solid bench/table is critical.

View attachment 361348
🤣 that's basically what I have in the garage. I went to opposite extreme and got one too light and it won't hold anything securely. I need to find something in between that will still work well for our air guns.

Allen

Have you looked at one of the clamp on kind. It mybe easy to set up ad needed and pit away when not. I been considered one maybe 3-4" for lite quick jobs that i can just get it out of my way when done ..

( For a example)

Thank you, everyone, I looked into all the suggestions given and bought a 4 inch harbor freight vice. I actually had a extra vice as large as the one Michael suggested but he was right it was a bit of overkill. I ended buying a harbor freight 4 inch unit and think I may have undersized my needs.

20230604_163433.jpg

Let's see what happens after some use.

Thanks

Allen

Thank you, everyone, I looked into all the suggestions given and bought a 4 inch harbor freight vice. I actually had a extra vice as large as the one Michael suggested but he was right it was a bit of overkill. I ended buying a harbor freight 4 inch unit and think I may have undersized my needs.

View attachment 362040

Let's see what happens after some use.

Thanks

Allen
Ya, overkill when you dont need it.. thats why i was looking at a smaller just clamp on as needed and get ot out of my way when i dont vice..lol.

Anyway that looks to do you. Just dont go too hard on that cast iron ive busted / cracked a few of them getting heavy handed..

I do use a small table top tipod to work on the airguns. One of the big issues with working on cars all my life is developing Arthritis in my hands. I do enjoy having a 3rd hand on holding things though. I also forgot how cheaply some things are made from harbor freight. I may have to upgrade sooner than I expected. 🙄

Allen
One thing big is dont hit somthing hard with a hammer it will crack it.. also cranking real hard on the handle can crack it or the washer thing on the screw will strip out.. i tend to do more then the tool can at times . Its a good vice as long as you know it's limits. It's cast iron not Forged . Thats night and day in anvils and vices..

One thing big is dont hit somthing hard with a hammer it will crack it.. also cranking real hard on the handle can crack it or the washer thing on the screw will strip out.. i tend to do more then the tool can at times . Its a good vice as long as you know it's limits. It's cast iron not Forged . Thats night and day in anvils and vices..
20230604_175701.jpg

Yup just looking at the thread on the screw tells me this is not a high dollar unit.

Allen

I use a Harbor Freight wood working vise, though it seems to have been discontinued. It was about $20 and looks like this:
1686679835306.png
It's apparently been replaced with https://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-carpenters-vise-58980.html, which may be a better unit overall, but costs a lot more.

Wood working vises are intended to have inserts (typically wood) screwed in. I have 3D printed some inserts, so the idea is the same - the inserts are soft enough to not mar or damage the item being clamped (in this case, metal barrels, stocks, etc.).

Reactions: bf1956
I use a Harbor Freight wood working vise, though it seems to have been discontinued. It was about $20 and looks like this:
View attachment 364244 It's apparently been replaced with https://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-carpenters-vise-58980.html, which may be a better unit overall, but costs a lot more.

Wood working vises are intended to have inserts (typically wood) screwed in. I have 3D printed some inserts, so the idea is the same - the inserts are soft enough to not mar or damage the item being clamped (in this case, metal barrels, stocks, etc.).
Harbor freight ive noticed taking a change. Products and pricing. And cant recall last time i seen them good sidewalk coupon sales like in the past . Amazon seems to of also got high pricing now lately to.