What springers were at EBR?

Todd finished 1st shooting a HW97 .22 cal. I took 2nd with a TX 200 .177, Nick was 3rd shooting a really cool Air Arms Pro Elite .22 and not sure what Brad shot. I think he started with a Diana 54 and ended up with a TX 200. Tuff shooting 50 yard benchrest in the winds with a springer, but had a blast doing it!

Todd finished 1st shooting a HW97 .22 cal. I took 2nd with a TX 200 .177, Nick was 3rd shooting a really cool Air Arms Pro Elite .22 and not sure what Brad shot. I think he started with a Diana 54 and ended up with a TX 200. Tuff shooting 50 yard benchrest in the winds with a springer, but had a blast doing it!

In a competition almost entirely populated by FX and Daystates, I think if I were to enter the competition, the springer division is where I'd be. That just seems to me like the biggest challenge and most fun. I haven't shot a springer in a million years, but if they continue to have springer divisions at these events, I may just have to get one. :)

Tony, you're right, Brad was shooting a Diana Model 54. Didn't get a picture of him with the TX200 though.

Patrick

20221007_073309.jpg

There is only one class for springers. If it has a spring, you can shoot it. I saw Cyclops Joe shoot his FWB 300 in it a few years ago, sub 12 FP, My TX 200 was tamed down to 12 FP, and I would say Brad's 54 would be a magnum. I would have shot my Pro Sport, but just can't cock that gun 100 times in a row.

Any idea what the .22 cal guys were shooting (ie. weight, fps, fpe)? Did you feel you were at a big disadvantage shooting a .177 in windy conditions?

I have no info on their set up. I practiced with a HW98 & HW35 both in .22 cal and felt more comfortable and confident shooting my .177 TX. I was shooting an 8.4 at about 750 fps 10.5 ft lb and getting blown all over the place. Did not feel out gunned , because we all shot in the same conditions and I know they were getting blown all over to!

The hardest Part in shooting benchrest springer is time limit. When shooting a pcp in benchrest, you have 20 minutes to shoot 25 bulls. In calm to mild winds, I can shoot it in 8-12 minutes, in windy conditions you can wait the wind out and take the full 20 minutes. But with a springer, you have to cock, load and reset your gun and take the shot. You do not have the luxury of waiting for the ideal wind, you look at your flags and make your best guess. If you wait it out and take to many sightseers, you will not finish.

I want to try my luck with the 50 yard card. If I follow this correctly...

"The 50 Yard Spring Class was won by Todd Hartman (center) with a score of 424 1X. Anthony Churchetta (left) was second with 413 3X and Nic Gregoras third."

They are shooting 3 cards with 250 max per card. That is about 141.34 per card for 3 cards. This is about a score of 6 per bull.

This is hard on the 50 yard target. This would be about 1.25" four the group across 25 shots with a .25" 10 ring.