What springer to buy?

I’ve been thinking lately about buying a springer to take squirrel hunting. Sometimes if I want to head to my cabin hauling my pcp and gear gets to be too much. I’m thinking a springer would be nice because I would only need the rifle and a case. I was looking at flying dragon and one of his with a tune was reasonably priced. I’d like one with enough power for a squirrel at about 25yds and also accurate. One that doesn’t ruin scopes would be nice also. Any advice and options would be appreciated because I honestly have no idea on these. I don’t mind spending a few hundred in a good quality rifle. 

An HW30 will take down squirrels no problem with a well-place shot at closer ranges. Most of my tree-rat shooting has been in my suburban backyard, so my tuned urban pro is plenty lethal at closer ranges, but I would be uncomfortable stretching it out over 20 yards.

I think for most folks, it's hard to beat an HW95 as an excellent, all-around springer. that's easy to carry (which can be an issue with the HW97 for field work), and has plenty of power -easily enough for small game to 40 yards or even beyond. The HW50 is also popular, but it's not that much lighter than the 95, the cocking effort is almost as high, and it doesn't make as much power. Some really like it, but for me, if I had to buy just one all-around springer, it's an HW95, probably in .177. 

Or, if you have some patience, find a nicely tuned FWB124...little less power, but super easy to cock and a delightful gun all around. But going down the vintage gun rabbit hole is more complicated...)

For scopes, you're going to have to get an airgun rated scope for any springer, but an HW95 isn't particularly brutal like some more magnum guns out there. I love the Leupold 3-9 EFR, but a Bugbuster, Hawke Vantage or Airmax 2-7 or 3-9, or a Nikon 3-9 EFR are all very nice, practical field scopes IMHO. 

I have all of the above. HW97 is too heavy for squirrel hunting. HW30 is underpowered at over 20 yds. HW50 is a good choice up to 30 yds. IMHO the best option for tree rats is the HW95. Caution,without a good tune the shot cycle can be a little harsh.

Take the advice of the fellow with the experience. Sounds like the 95 is the gun for the job 

I have all of the above. HW97 is too heavy for squirrel hunting. HW30 is underpowered at over 20 yds. HW50 is a good choice up to 30 yds. IMHO the best option for tree rats is the HW95. Caution,without a good tune the shot cycle can be a little harsh.

Take the advice of the fellow with the experience. Sounds like the 95 is the gun for the job

It’s possible some of us also have experience. Killed them with R7 .20. R1’s TX200. R1 can be a beast to carry all day at time. R9 still stands for what he asked. Get .20 or .22. Now you got 4 cents outta me. 

It’s possible some of us also have experience. Killed them with R7 .20. R1’s TX200. R1 can be a beast to carry all day at time. R9 still stands for what he asked. Get .20 or .22. Now you got 4 cents outta me.

No offense intended. I favor the HW guns. But you are correct there are certainly others worth considering 

No offense intended. I favor the HW guns. But you are correct there are certainly others worth considering

No worries. R9 just a glorified HW50. 😎 Only thing I wouldn’t do with smaller HW30 is .177. Now 6 cents. 🤪

You can never go wrong with on of these for hauling to the cabin or just always having one in your truck. Very reliable you'll own it forever and probably never have a thing go wrong with it. I have a .20 I bought in the 70's still shoots like a champ.
1572661928_1409819635dbceaa80ee128.27348906_1571531816_1191663205dabac281f2393.37506625_IMG_20...jpg