What springer did you shoot today?

Reactions: Bandito
Early this morning I took out my 130QE 8mm smoothbore shotgun, as I haven't shot it in awhile. It has a effective range of 30ft or so. Here is the ammo, gun and target after 3 rounds.

View attachment 430407

View attachment 430408

View attachment 430409

Small world, wouldn’t want to paint it. I was up north checking out a 1906 Stevens 520 humpback, slam fire. Check out this union. I’m new to guns, this amazes me, so tight after over 100 yrs.
IMG_7849.jpeg
IMG_7850.jpeg
I shot the Vickers, rare no springers. Crow

Not today but yesterday. I haven't shot springers since before Christmas. Holidays, poor weather and visitors hampered my hobby. Finally yesterday the weather broke and i got to shoot a couple. This target was ten shot groups at 25 yards with a random tin of 8.44 JSB through my HW50 squrl gun. Including the very first shot out of the gun since mid December. They're nothing breathtaking since there's a few flyers that spoil the measurements. Still minute of squirrel. I made turret adjustments as I went along. Here's a page of reality.

20240129_160332.jpg

20240129_153345.jpg

Not today but yesterday. I haven't shot springers since before Christmas. Holidays, poor weather and visitors hampered my hobby. Finally yesterday the weather broke and i got to shoot a couple. This target was ten shot groups at 25 yards with a random tin of 8.44 JSB through my HW50 squrl gun. Including the very first shot out of the gun since mid December. They're nothing breathtaking since there's a few flyers that spoil the measurements. Still minute of squirrel. I made turret adjustments as I went along. Here's a page of reality.

View attachment 430493

View attachment 430495
Nice shooting, especially after a layoff for awhile.
I've found that I need to shoot about 5 or 6 shots before it warms up and comes back to my zero. And it usually comes back with no turret adjustments. This was a "thing" when I first started shooting springers and didn't know what was going on. I would chase my zero with the turrets, only to have to move them again the next day..lol. I try and get a good zero when there is no wind, and after that I try not to make any adjustments. Because it's usually either, me, not behind the scope correctly, or bad trigger squeeze and or not hold consistently. The scope is usually correct and I'm off.
I zero at 40 yards, and a good test is to draw a single vertical line and try and hit it up and down the line for my windage, then a horizontal line for my elevation. But here lately I just use 1/4" stick on dots, If I can hit it at 40 yards or really close, I'll call my zero good. If my zero is off, then my hold over/ unders will also be off..lol.

Nice shooting, especially after a layoff for awhile.
I've found that I need to shoot about 5 or 6 shots before it warms up and comes back to my zero. And it usually comes back with no turret adjustments. This was a "thing" when I first started shooting springers and didn't know what was going on. I would chase my zero with the turrets, only to have to move them again the next day..lol. I try and get a good zero when there is no wind, and after that I try not to make any adjustments. Because it's usually either, me, not behind the scope correctly, or bad trigger squeeze and or not hold consistently. The scope is usually correct and I'm off.
I zero at 40 yards, and a good test is to draw a single vertical line and try and hit it up and down the line for my windage, then a horizontal line for my elevation. But here lately I just use 1/4" stick on dots, If I can hit it at 40 yards or really close, I'll call my zero good. If my zero is off, then my hold over/ unders will also be off..lol.
Good information. I'm guessing my zero moved because it was last set in a little wind and most likely a different tin of pellets. The first group (top left) all printed well except the one wild flyer that came on shot 7 or 8. I have no idea what happened there. There's always flyers to keep us humble.

Good information. I'm guessing my zero moved because it was last set in a little wind and most likely a different tin of pellets. The first group (top left) all printed well except the one wild flyer that came on shot 7 or 8. I have no idea what happened there. There's always flyers to keep us humble.
The shooter is the cause of the flyer 90% IMO.
I mess up good groups about every time I shoot, once in awhile I'll pull off a good one.

The shooter is the cause of the flyer 90% IMO.
I mess up good groups about every time I shoot, once in awhile I'll pull off a good one.
Not when they're this wild. There's days I can do nothing right and I have well earned the flyers. This wasn't one of them. I was pretty solid and when these flyers occurred I was like wtf? I usually know when I shank it even a little. These were just wild out of the blue. I think it was just not a great tin for this gun. When the wind dies I'll try some 4.52 FTTs. I get more consistent results from them but I lose a pound of energy. I prefer having the extra energy of the JSB for hunting and roll the 1:10 flyer dice. They at least print well first shot cold.

Not when they're this wild. There's days I can do nothing right and I have well earned the flyers. This wasn't one of them. I was pretty solid and when these flyers occurred I was like wtf? I usually know when I shank it even a little. These were just wild out of the blue. I think it was just not a great tin for this gun. When the wind dies I'll try some 4.52 FTTs. I get more consistent results from them but I lose a pound of energy. I prefer having the extra energy of the JSB for hunting and roll the 1:10 flyer dice. They at least print well first shot cold.
Very possible, but it doesn't take much for me to throw a shot like that shooting off of sticks. So for me, it's usually moving the gun slightly when I squeeze it off.

Small world, wouldn’t want to paint it. I was up north checking out a 1906 Stevens 520 humpback, slam fire. Check out this union. I’m new to guns, this amazes me, so tight after over 100 yrs. View attachment 430488View attachment 430489I shot the Vickers, rare no springers. Crow
I have 2 of those…1 in 16ga and 1 in 12ga…I just love that take down feature…so precise, and locks up like a vault. Enjoy. John

Very possible, but it doesn't take much for me to throw a shot like that shooting off of sticks. So for me, it's usually moving the gun slightly when I squeeze it off.
I was shooting of a table on my porch. I'd have to be having a seizure to toss those shots that far off from the rest.

What’s up boys and girls? Man! Freezing rain, temps in the teens for days on end, roads iced up. Work schedule upset, just about dug out from that and the flooding came. We’re good here but some near us, more work schedule upset. Crazy. Did something today I haven’t done in 2+ weeks, shot an airgun! Grabbed my 35E after a quick lunch and shot 20 pellets. Nice. About 2 hours later the FWB 601 I bought showed up from the Netherlands. Put about 10 shots through it just to test. Unique shooting experience, looking forward to testing in daylight. Still catching up on work. Then I’ll catch up here.

My LGV Challenger Ultra .177 to dispatch a back yard pest. Hadn't shot it in weeks, still spot on. This thing will shoot 3 RWS 9.3gr wadcutters you can cover with a dime at 35 yards, then put 3 8.3gr Superdomes thru it and it's almost the same POI. Amazing rifle but rarely shoot it anymore. I have an MTC Genisis LR on top, BKL rings. I shoot indoors @ a tennis court. Warm, no wind, members only. I can go early 0600 M-F nobody there but me.

My LGV Challenger Ultra .177 to dispatch a back yard pest. Hadn't shot it in weeks, still spot on. This thing will shoot 3 RWS 9.3gr wadcutters you can cover with a dime at 35 yards, then put 3 8.3gr Superdomes thru it and it's almost the same POI. Amazing rifle but rarely shoot it anymore. I have an MTC Genisis LR on top, BKL rings. I shoot indoors @ a tennis court. Warm, no wind, members only. I can go early 0600 M-F nobody there but me.
Would love to have 55 yard indoor range for practice.