• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What springer did you shoot today?

I bought a PCP a few years ago. It was fun for awhile, but the hand pumping sucked. And wasn't going to buy a compressor. It became a brick so I sold it. Much easier to grab a springer or co2, and a tin of pellets.
I thought about getting a PCP rifle but don't you have to get a specialized compressor to fill the reservoir?
May still get one at some point but now is not that time. I'm still in awe of the one Lewis and Clark had back in the day though.

Sighted in the 95 ..25. I couldn't hit S#@% with it yesterday. Much better today. Also shot a 150 torpedo .22

20240123_120208.jpg

20240123_121521.jpg

I thought about getting a PCP rifle but don't you have to get a specialized compressor to fill the reservoir?
May still get one at some point but now is not that time. I'm still in awe of the one Lewis and Clark had back in the day though.

Yes you need an air source capable of 3000++ psi. The perfect pcp for a hand pump is the hw100 or 110. Hand pumping gets old very fast. A budget compressor is $1500 ++ or you can get bottles of compressed air for refill like what is used by firefighters. I bought an fx impact m3 in .25 cal. A few months into ownership it sprung a leak. I had to send it back on warranty. Once fixed I sold it right away. Good one’s are a TON of money and time to maintain and tune. I like to shoot and even though a slower reload and a little less power the weihrauch piston rifles are my perfect tool for the job. 1000’s of shots without springing a leak and losing the rifle. Weihrauch piston rifles are $500 to $1000 here in canada. A premium pcp $3k + just for rifle.
For any power I want more than my spring piston rifles I can buy a VERY nice .22 lr that performs way better than the high end pcp. I tried the pcp route as I dont know anyone who couldve shared the ownership experience so I got some great tuition value and recovered a fair bit of my cost. The only pcp I would personally consider is a weihrauch. My hw110 propels a 16 grain pellet about 800 ish maybe 900 fps. My hw 90 does a 13.73 grain 800+ fps. At 1/2 the package cost.
For the people who love the technology of the compressed air and the maintenance and cost that’s awesome. I tried it watching all the hype vids on youtube and wanted to shoot slugs with air. Maybe I had bad luck or was just not educated enough. I became discouraged and continued with my piston rifles. Never looking back!!!! Well, maybe for a 20 cal weihrauch pcp…..one day

IMG_3520.jpeg

Yesterday was a milestone. My 10th weihrauch rifle for my collection arrived. The hw57 in .22 on the bottom. Mounted a scope and shot twice. Low and right about 5 inches. Got upset but stayed cool. Remounted scope and rings. Tonight a 5 shot group at 10 yards is below. No scope adjustment from new box to mount. Rws Meiserkufners. Rws meisencopers? Rws wadcutters. I cant remember the spelling. Didnt even clean barrel yet. This rifle will be my first ARH hornet high power kit install once it arrives. Probably will use vortek vac seal. The vertical stringing is 100% me. This is 5 pellets not 3

IMG_3518.jpeg

Last edited:
It was in the high 30's F yesterday, and sunny. Did some outdoor shooting for the first time in about a month. Put 100 or so rounds through the D350. Just some offhand plinking at 40-50yds. It really clangs the steel silhouette targets hard. The Mantis 4-12x40 AO is holding up just fine. It's a pretty decent budget scope.

D350-1.JPG

Shot the same ones as yesterday..25 95 and a 150 torpedo .22 had fun with the 150 taking out a 8 inch tablet. Put a orange sticker were the center group is. Then moved to the corner area. Afterwards just shot randomly at it. You are able to see where you hit easily as a white dot appears.

20240124_122738~2.jpg

20240124_122748.jpg

20240124_122738.jpg

20240124_121507.jpg

Shot my Anschutz 335. Just finished a complete rebuild. Honed the cylinder, new Maccari spring and synthetic seal. Moly on all the friction surfaces. Almagard 3752 on the spring. No twang at all, just “thunk”. New trigger spring and adjustments got it down to 1 lb. 9 oz. Chrono’d it at 815 FPS (factory spec is 700 FPS). Put a 3-12 UTG Bug Buster on it. Stacks pellet on top of pellet. One hole ten shot groups are standard. What a transformation!

IMG_3519.jpeg

Hw97k laminate in .177. 10.34 grain jsb. I mounted a fixed 4x32 hawk vantage on it. Hawke canada told me it will hold up or they will warranty it.
I’ll tell you what…..I forgot how much fun an hw97 is. My rifle has factory spring and seal but installed titan xs top hat, sleeve and it eliminated all most all of the weihrauch twang. Great shooting rifle right now. I have a vortek pg4 kit and seal for future trial.
Ive received 3 weihrauch underlevers in the past 2 weeks. All 3 are fantastic so far. Can hardly wait to get outside

Went out this afternoon and did a few chores. Took the IZH 61

View attachment 428269
I have always wanted one of those. I should have picked on up back in the day when they were still available but not being stocked/made. You snooze, you lose I guess

I shot my .22 Ruger Air Magnum. 32 yds off-hand open sights. Nailed those soda cans - first try. Don't ask me for groups though...

been longing for a higher quality springer with a little less power and about 6 inches shorter. But this Air Magnum successfully gave me the airgun bug. I still remember being shocked at the size of it when it arrived and then shocked that an airgun could actually shoot through both sides of a soup can...

All I remembered previously was my Crosman multipump BB gun from childhood struggling to poke through one side of a tin can.

I didn't shoot a springer today, but decided to shoot the bb rifle every youngster wanted in 1958 the Hahn super bb repeater. At just 34 inches it was made for younger kids at that time. Did a little plinking from 25 feet or so.

The kids of the time, with the super bb repeater and a year later with the Hahn 45 single six bb pisto,l all boys and girls could emulate their favorite TV and movie heroes. Western's dominated them. With shows like Gunsmoke, The Rifleman and Bonanza to name a few. These guns were great success.

20240125_140150~2.jpg

20240125_140228.jpg

Rain, rain, and rain, shoot, shoot and shoot. HW90 .20 first up. This is the most infectious gun I own. Easily hit targets the size of a squirrels head, 60 and 75 yds. This gun is the whole package. Reliable, accurate and absolutely love the sounds the gun produces. Yesterday’s photo.
IMG_7798.jpeg
Next up HW98 .22
IMG_7801.jpeg
A favorite for sure. Don’t like the flip scope protectors, seams to snag everything. Love the barrel.
‘Another morning shoot with a R9 .177 which wasn’t feeling well. Maybe scope problems. Wanna change scope mounts.
IMG_7802.jpeg
Have to do surgery or go in waiting room with a note. Couldn’t resist that 90 and finished the morning with it, sweet gun. Crow

Have a busy afternoon, but took out the 150 before I put it away for some can killing. With open sights. A heavy accurate and quite magnum springer that is best shot from rest or sticks. But can be done off hand. Very little recoil probably because it weights 10 lbs.

Weight
(grains)
Velocity (fps)
827 av
Muzzle Energy = 32.11 foot-pounds

20240126_102608.jpg

20240126_102527.jpg

Last edited:
Rain, rain, and rain, shoot, shoot and shoot. HW90 .20 first up. This is the most infectious gun I own. Easily hit targets the size of a squirrels head, 60 and 75 yds. This gun is the whole package. Reliable, accurate and absolutely love the sounds the gun produces. Yesterday’s photo. View attachment 429127Next up HW98 .22View attachment 429128A favorite for sure. Don’t like the flip scope protectors, seams to snag everything. Love the barrel.
‘Another morning shoot with a R9 .177 which wasn’t feeling well. Maybe scope problems. Wanna change scope mounts.View attachment 429130Have to do surgery or go in waiting room with a note. Couldn’t resist that 90 and finished the morning with it, sweet gun. Crow
What is the HW90, a gas piston?