What springer did you shoot today?

I spent 3 1/2 hours, during the eclipse, shooting my Cometa 300 Premier at paper and mostly reactive metal targets at about 12 yards. It's in .22 caliber. Starting off I want to say it has a most beautiful walnut stock and good metal finish. It is equipped with a Hawke Vantage scope. Two days ago I treated the real action screw with blue lock tight and it stayed in place during the outing, however my scope moved back about 1/4 inch and I moved it back and used some leverage on the three mounting screws and hopefully this will solve that minor problem. The accuracy seemed very good at this range and the only negative feature on the gun is the hard trigger, however it is pretty predictable and after about 20 or so shots it and I got along just fine. One other positive feature the cocking is very light and at my age it's a great feature. If it only had the same trigger as the model 400 I would give it an overall A+, however due to the trigger it gets a B+ in my humble opinion. Get one I thing for the money you can't beat it as a very fun machine. Charles

Last edited:
After a 3 day drought of no shooting got 2-97’s. A lam. .20 cal.
IMG_8327.jpeg
Stupid accutate, as well as the Thumbhole .25 cal.
IMG_8328.jpeg
Crow

Not going to be anything today, 4.5 inches of rain since sundown last night and still coming down, Weather predicted about 3" through tomorrow night, looks like they missed that one.

Had a good view of the eclipse yesterday. It was cloudy all morning then the clouds started breaking up and we saw it off and on, and then got about a minute of the total eclipse, After that the clouds really opened and we could see the sun coming back

Checked the raingauge a few minutes ago, and so far the total for today has been 8 1/4 inches, We are soaked.

Last edited:
Over the last few months I've purchased 6 Cometa air rifles and 5 of the six were great right out of the box. The naughty one was the model 100 in .177 caliber. First time out it did good for about an half hour of shooting and then the group turned into a wide shot gun pattern. Later found out the rear mounting screw was several turns loose, my bad, as I usually check on all of my springers before and after shooting. After taking care of the problem I still couldn't get a good group. I was using good Crosman pellets and after many tries I just put it away. About three days I used blue lock tight on all of my Cometa and today, once again I took the 100 out for a last attempt a getting it right. Also I also picked up some Daisy .177 pellets to try. After about a few shots I actually was able to get it sighted it. WOW! After I spent three hours going through 250 Daisy pellets and about 50 Crosman. For some reason it seemed to like the Daisy pellets better. I now and happy with this fun little easy to cock gun. Charles

Out with the hw30 this morning. It's has never been pellet picky with anything I have thrown at it. Now after breaking it in it seems even less so. Groups with some that didn't perform as well as others have shrank a fair amount opening up new options. Dialed in the sights with RWS superdome 8.3g pellets at 20 yards, and got to shooting. 5 shots seated offhand.
1000001950.jpg
everything is looking good so I went ahead and grabbed the chrony for some numbers.
1000001951.jpg
Total spread from 629-635 over 5 shots about 3 ft in front of the muzzle. Calculator say 7.36 fpe. Very similar to the excite econ II wadcutters I was shooting before energy wise. Much better aerodynamics, and shape for penetration with .9 g added weight. Gonna stay with these for a while I think....at least that's what my last ammo order says.

I got some free time had an Element scope and installed it on the HW77. Didn’t care for the scope it came with. I’ll catalogue it.
The cocking is a friction fit, similar to the TX’s. I like the push button on the newer 77 and 97 models better.
IMG_8348.jpeg
Do I ever like the difference. Once zeroed in, so smooth, everything.
IMG_8347.jpeg
Treat to shoot this gun. Can’t wait to open it up and see what was done. Mid sixties and sunny. 1/2 a tin less. Crow

I got some free time had an Element scope and installed it on the HW77. Didn’t care for the scope it came with. I’ll catalogue it.
The cocking is a friction fit, similar to the TX’s. I like the push button on the newer 77 and 97 models better.
View attachment 454345 Do I ever like the difference. Once zeroed in, so smooth, everything. View attachment 454346Treat to shoot this gun. Can’t wait to open it up and see what was done. Mid sixties and sunny. 1/2 a tin less. Crow
I would like to see some pics of the internals as well. New scope looks better IMO, but the stock is the show piece here.

Trying to get my R1 set up as a field target rifle for the springer division. Put an SWFA 3-15x42 on it and have it figured out 10-20 yards as far as hold over/under in 1 yard increments. Rain put a damper on it so I went to the barn where I can get 20 yards. This gun likes heavier pellets, actually it’s not super picky but it shoots 9 grainers well!

image.jpg

I haven't been shooting much either due to non stop wind every day and picks up more on the weekends..lol. Next week in the eighties here.
This afternoon was finally calm so I grabbed the prosport at about 6:30pm and shot nine 5-shot groups at 40yards off the sticks. I've done better before, but this shows an average group size compared to the 1/4" dots I was shooting at. Any wild shots is just me swaying on the sticks, this gun will one hole if executed correctly. Groups are numbered first to last.
IMG_6960.jpeg

✌🏻

I haven't been shooting much either due to non stop wind every day and picks up more on the weekends..lol. Next week in the eighties here.
This afternoon was finally calm so I grabbed the prosport at about 6:30pm and shot nine 5-shot groups at 40yards off the sticks. I've done better before, but this shows an average group size compared to the 1/4" dots I was shooting at. Any wild shots is just me swaying on the sticks, this gun will one hole if executed correctly. Groups are numbered first to last.
View attachment 454362
✌🏻
Nicely done!

I need to practice for field target as well, don't have much time shooting at 45,50, and 55 yards.
10 to 40 yards is my practice distance, I have to drive somewhere for the longer practice.
I can still shoot here at the house out to 100 but I can’t do it with Powder Burners as much anymore. The big farm next door got sold and subdivide. “Progress” it is called I hear…

Thursday was Mendoza day. The only complaint is no one the the state's carries them. I've had four. Still have two. I kick myself every time I think about selling the others. I really like the way the barrels open. Makes for super easy loading
20240411_115544.jpg
20240411_115519.jpg

20240411_113900~2.jpg

Last edited: