• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What springer did you shoot today?

couple of Beemans

IMG_0563.jpeg
IMG_0345.jpeg

Reassembled my hw98 with new guide and top hat from Mike Ellingson today. Test fired it an totally removed the twang and got a .8ftlb increase in power! Mike E does some nice work. Also took out my latest addition, a 1976 Diana Model 25D. Nice little springer, a junior version of the Diana 27.

View attachment 390618
Mike has made me a couple exceptional rifles. Great guy.

Found a couple rifles in the last week I’d been wanting. First one showed up today, purchased from a super guy on GTA. Beeman FWB 124 Standard. SN puts it late 81 to early 82 I believe. Fired four pellets through just to test. This one had Maccari spring and piston seal installed a few years ago. Smoothest cocking break barrel I’ve ever handled. Looking forward to really shooting it this weekend. It was his late father’s gun. Came with all the original paperwork, said he never threw anything like that away.

20230921_191948_resized.jpeg

20230921_193001_resized.jpeg

Shot the IZH-61, Ruger MK IV and the .22 P1 this morning. I bought the IZH used about a month ago for $50 and mounted a cheapie Truglo red dot. Got it zeroed at 20 yds, put a couple hundreds rounds through it, and I've gotta say the little gun is growing on me. Ergonomics are surprisingly good despite the gun's rather funky looks. Accuracy is more than good enough for casual plinking. Cocking effort is light as a feather and the trigger is surprisingly light and crisp. Runs well with RWS Hobby. Haven't run the chrono yet, but it sounds and performs like it's in the 550 fps range. Makes the beer cans dance at 20-30yds with ease.

izh1.JPG

Shot the IZH-61, Ruger MK IV and the .22 P1 this morning. I bought the IZH used about a month ago for $50 and mounted a cheapie Truglo red dot. Got it zeroed at 20 yds, put a couple hundreds rounds through it, and I've gotta say the little gun is growing on me. Ergonomics are surprisingly good despite the gun's rather funky looks. Accuracy is more than good enough for casual plinking. Cocking effort is light as a feather and the trigger is surprisingly light and crisp. Runs well with RWS Hobby. Haven't run the chrono yet, but it sounds and performs like it's in the 550 fps range. Makes the beer cans dance at 20-30yds with ease.

View attachment 390926
The IZH 61 is a awesome little rifle. One I'd like to see with a larger power plant. I'd buy one in a second.

Ruger Yukon magnum which is basically a D 350 clone with longer .22 barrel from XS28M,which adds about 3 inches. I couldn't get the rear sight to adjust low enough, so I milled 1.5 mm off of the bottom of the assembly. and removed the ridges off the top, where the adjustment screw is. the gun is now shooting well. I will shoot it more this afternoon.

Posted stock picture of Yukon for comparison.

20230922_105252.jpg

20230922_105512.jpg

cr-um-ru2104229-r-a.jpeg

20230922_103216.jpg

Last edited:
Little more with the FWB 124 today. Scope mounted. Some walnut oil on rear stock brought the color back out and filled in the character marks. Leaving those as is. Finish on forestock I think is wax. Very nice going to try to match. Bluing is beautiful, not a mark on it. Mounted the 4 x 32 RWS scope, tested a couple pellets on chrono, fired a few shots standing. Great shooting rifle. Right at 10.5 FPE. The easy coking makes me think this might be the ARH soft kit. Guessing that a clean and lube will bump FPE up, we’ll see. I love shooting a duplex reticle. And the sight picture on this one is cool, oblong rather than round. Perfect for this, old skool scope on old skool gun. Only mistake I made was letting Kim shoot it. I think she has designs on it!

20230922_172805_resized.jpeg

Reassembled my hw98 with new guide and top hat from Mike Ellingson today. Test fired it an totally removed the twang and got a .8ftlb increase in power! Mike E does some nice work. Also took out my latest addition, a 1976 Diana Model 25D. Nice little springer, a junior version of the Diana 27.

View attachment 390618
who is and where is Mike Ellingson , looking for a tuner . thanks , you can PM me info if you want .

Got some pest control to do. I'd usually not consider mounting a bipod on a springer, but it would definitely help given the location and where I need to set up. I've used a Harris 1A2 on my D48 before with good results, so a bipod it is. No targets this morning, but I'm going back out after lunch. Red squirrels are such a destructive pain in the butt.

DSC00009 copy 3 2.JPG

DSC00001 copy 6 2.JPG

Got some pest control to do. I'd usually not consider mounting a bipod on a springer, but it would definitely help given the location and where I need to set up. I've used a Harris 1A2 on my D48 before with good results, so a bipod it is. No targets this morning, but I'm going back out after lunch. Red squirrels are such a destructive pain in the butt.

View attachment 391386

View attachment 391387
That’s wicked. Squirrels don’t stand a chance.

I had the TX200 MKIII .177 out at 100 yards today. It was not an ideal day as the wind was intermittent. It was not a bad day though. I was shoot AA 10.3 Field Heavy sorted to 10.3 and 10.4. They are not the most perfect lots but not bad.

First I shot 6 5-shot groups. They averages 3.75 inches. Several were 2" groups with a flyer. It could easily have been me today. I did shoot a 1.61" group in warm-up but I didn't count it.

20230924_144525.jpg

I then decided to run 50 shots to see how the % faired. Target has a 1inch bull. I ended up shooting 53 shots as I can’t count. I used bull center for reference. I counted best edge for hit coverage.

Coverage.
1 inch or less 11.3% hits
2 inches or less 28.3% hits
3 inches or less 47.2% hits
4 inches or less 73.5% hits
5 inches or less 84.9% hits
6 inches or less 86.8% hits

20230924_144613.jpg

I put a pellet tin in the picture for reference. I am sure if I took optimal placement of the coverage the % would have been better but this seemed appropriate.

We shot a little last night. Pumpers and CO2, FWB 124 was the only springer to make an appearance. Finally got the cocking rod pin installed on Diana Model 52 Luxus. Re-mounted scope, went out fired 10 tests shots, realized 98 degrees and 107 heat index isn’t fit for man or beast. Came back in.

Autumn rolled into Michigan yesterday and with it a lot of wind out of the north. Played hell with pellets, POI changing by an inch or more. Gave up on spinners and focused on cans. Started off with the HW30 .177, then the mighty HW50 .22. Switched over to the LP400 and dished out some serious what for on cans and spinners at twenty yards. Tried shooting the squirrel at 30 but too damn windy. Tried the TX200 but way too much wind by then, 12 fpe can only do so much. Brought out the HW95 .20 and was finally able to hit some spinners, what a laser. Shoots the H&N Baracuda 13.4's with a nice quiet thunk all day long. Very easy to cock for all that power. Seems to ignore the wind.