What speed are you shooting at?

It's very rifle specific, but I've found 880-910 fps is generally a good range to search for the optimum velocity. But frankly, many rifles may have an even sweeter spot at a velocity below my normal testing range. You don't know what you don't know. I recently bought a Daystate Revere in .22, and it is extremely accurate with the 18 grain at 865, and a good thing, since tuning that rifle would be a major pain. There is a lot of emphasis on power these days, which is of no interest to me. I am a bit concerned, as we push air rifles into the range of power normally found only in cartridge firearms, that we may soon attract the attention of bureaucrats who love regulation and hate guns.

Or "above" that range as well😃. But nothing wrong in starting where you note.

@bandg

The dropped reg setting was totally accuracy related and now I get 52 shots with ES 10 or less AND very accurate. There's another 15 shots after it drops off the reg that are totally usable starling hunting shots out to 40yards. The regs are set too high IMHO for what I need

Glad it helped you. PLUS that shot count thing😏.

@bandg

The dropped reg setting was totally accuracy related and now I get 52 shots with ES 10 or less AND very accurate. There's another 15 shots after it drops off the reg that are totally usable starling hunting shots out to 40yards. The regs are set too high IMHO for what I need

Glad it helped you. PLUS that shot count thing
1f60f.svg

Yeah, it's a comfortable feeling going to a dairy and having 52+ shots AND a Hill EC 3000 AND HONDA generator.

I shoot .177 at ~750-760fps using 10.5 CPUMs to keep the power level down close to 12fpe in order to keep pass through and ricochet down to a minimum in my backyard pesting.

Range now, is from 10 to 35~40 yards. Getting 1 MOA accuracy most of the time. When I could shoot out to ~60 yards, I was still getting 1 MOA most of the time. New neighbors put up a privacy fence and cut me off from the longer range shots. Other than that, they are good neighbors though... (smile)

This is with a lowly Benjamin Fortitude Gen2 .177...

I don't need more power, just more consistent accuracy. Accuracy/precision trumps power for me when shooting rats, chipmunks, tree rats, etc in my urban back yard. I have to pass on many shots because a safe backstop is not behind the target, even though I have a perfect shot otherwise. Even at the lower ~12-13fpe power level.

I have to pass on many shots because a safe backstop is not behind the target, even though I have a perfect shot otherwise. Even at the lower ~12-13fpe power level.

I hear you!

For my next trip to the cow corral I'll take a couple of plywood boards with some wires attached. 😄

I'll hang them behind some of the pigeons' favorite spots — where so far I could not shoot them — for lack of a backstop. (Hey, looking at your screen name, I don't suppose you'll double for the plywood boards, eh?) 

For my first few shots I will attempt a double or triple with a more powerful gun, because them ugly critters line up so perfectly there — it's beautiful how deadly it is! 🤣

Matthias

950+ FPS?

Another misconception. Slugs do not need to be shot at 950+ to be accurate. I shoot my .25 Impact 43.5 NSA at 885 to 890 FPS and it’s a laser out to 250 yards. MOA or better at 100. Plus it’s MUCH easier to shoot and MUCH more efficient than if I was shooting them at 950 FPS. Accuracy trumps all else... including power.

I agree, My opinion is that pellets shoot best from a choked barrel and slugs shoot best from a non-choked barrel (there may be exceptions), Rate of twist of the rifling will contribute to the accuracy relative to the weight of the projectile (more velocity and more weight require more twist rate).. So, one could conclude that you can shoot slugs at low velocities from a non-choked barrel if the twist rate can stabilize it.. Not all slug weights will shoot well - commonly referred to as "what the barrel likes".. Mildly choked barrels may perform fairly well with both pellets and slugs if the twist rate and projectile weight match up well..

"you missed that nutter by a mile.....

"yeah, but did you see how fast I missed him!"😏

I don't own anything that shoots over 700 fps.

Impressive. Do those slower misses scare them more or less?😃

maybe less... they may think they're just flies buzzing around.. lol

should add:

majority of my shooting is now punching paper.. (indoors) with the occasional outside can.

"you missed that nutter by a mile.....

"yeah, but did you see how fast I missed him!"😏

I don't own anything that shoots over 700 fps.

Impressive. Do those slower misses scare them more or less?😃

maybe less... they may think they're just flies buzzing around.. lol

should add:

majority of my shooting is now punching paper.. (indoors) with the occasional outside can.

Interesting. My point was, you are ASSUMING that those shooting faster are missing. I'm ASSUMING that YOU are missing. See how easy such assumptions can be made? I shoot at the higher velocities mentioned and to 65 yards more regularly now. In the past, my air gun shooting was mostly limited to around 50 yards but I've extended it a bit recently. I shoot higher velocities than you do. I hit what I aim at. If I was missing and thought it even remotely likely that the velocity was causing the miss, then I would slow it down. Easy enough to do. But I'm not missing. So WHY trade off flatter trajectory and more energy on target (and less relative wind drift) for some ARBITRARY lower velocity that SOME believe will ALWAYS result in better accuracy. That is an EGOCENTRIC view, IMO. When in reality, it's relative to the specific gun, and the specific projectile, and the specific situation. All relative, as usual, with few ABSOLUTES. In some cases, slower MIGHT produce better "results". In others, it WON"T. Nothing personal, and nothing wrong with the way you shoot. But not every shooter with every gun will have the same specific "limits". You can still enjoy your shooting, and I hope you do. At WHATEVER "speed" you are shooting.

So WHY trade off flatter trajectory and more energy on target (and less relative wind drift) for some ARBITRARY lower velocity that SOME believe will ALWAYS result in better accuracy. That is an EGOCENTRIC view, IMO. When in reality, it's relative to the specific gun, and the specific projectile, and the specific situation. All relative, as usual, with few ABSOLUTES.

I agree that it’s up to the specific gun and ammo that gives an accurate speed for that circumstance. 

FLATTER is certainly relative as has been pointed out with numbers in numerous posts on AGN. When your projectile at 180 yards drops 8 inches less so that it’s only dropping 60 inches vice 68 inches yes, technically that is flatter. Do those 8 inches make a difference? It’s up to the shooter, but I say no.

But the “faster has less wind drift” is an old wives tale for subsonic projectiles. Actually faster can result in MORE wind drift if getting up close to the transonic zone (over 1000 FPS).

"But the “faster has less wind drift” is an old wives tale for subsonic projectiles. Actually faster can result in MORE wind drift if getting up close to the transonic zone (over 1000 FPS). "

I've read the theory. I neither support nor refute it. Note that YOU mentioned 1000fps. I've noted around 950, and "SOMETIMES FASTER" 

"can result in" and "if getting up close to the transonic zone (over 1000 FPS)"

Can you state unequivocally that, given the same pellet shot under identical wind conditions, LESS WIND DRIFT WOULD BE SEEN AT 850 vs. 975?