• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

what size slugs shoot the best?

what is the best size slugs to use for my 700mm Superior Heavy Liner in .22 cal? tried the fx hybrids got decent groupings, and tried the jsb knockouts in .217 and they did better with groupings.. so instead of me wasting money trying a bunch of different slugs figured i would ask you guys.. so what do these barrels like? .216, .217, .218? and what brands does it like best? was going to try some nsa's and maybe some of those patriot javelins 

I would suggest that you stick with the 217 knock outs and very carefully tune the gun for them. Try around 900 ft per and make very small adjustments. Helpful to have a Chrony to watch velocity. However some times the most accurate is not the lowest extreme spread. Shoot three shots at 30 yards until you can get consistent one hole three shot groups. Then go out to 100 and if you can get one inch then you are done. You have to have a system to test and also a realistic goal. Shooting beyond 100 and expecting sub moa at those distances TO ME is unrealistic. 

tell ya an old trick i learned that can at least give a summary analysis of whats going on .. and i kindof agree that tweaking the tune will give better results than just chucking random pellets in something, id slug it though to be sure it doesnt get to tight .. but if you have a shooting spot that gets good sun when its low, situate things so its at your back .. once you get the angle right you can see the boys as theyr flying down range through the scope, if theyre spiraling bad or doing something funky ..

If the gun was supposedly already a tuned slug gun with the NSA 23gr, why not just shoot what the seller claimed he had it tuned for? These guns are already walking a very fine line when you find something they seem to like and have the gun set for them. Firing random slugs without tuning around them individually is just massive shots in the dark. One other tip is to start with a basically stock gun. Learn what it likes and how it reacts with you tuning it. Then as you mod it with power kits and other fluff, you will see how those mods react to your gun. Sometimes they are steps backwards in ease of tuning for the minuscule gains you get from them. They can make a gun walk an even finer line but it’s not as big of a deal to the guy who knows his gun versus the guy who just was just handed it and told good luck. If the seller is telling the truth and claims the gun was accurate, you already have all the info you need to start from. If what he says doesn’t work, you are back to the no shortcuts way of tuning for slugs like the rest of us. That’s probably why you’re not getting a bunch of responses. Over the years when you see trusted members saying they like a .217 but you have amazing results with a .218 or .216 out of the same barrel, you start to realize you are on your own with YOUR gun.

After $4500 + in different 22. cal & 30 cal slugs here is what my FX Impact heavy liners like. 22. cal AVS 217 32 G Dish or the AVS 218.3 34 G Dish
In 30 cal The AVS 3013 51 G Dish was the best. The AVS 3033 55 G dish shot great but after 50 shots the barrel had to be cleaned. You can feel when loading them into the chamber they're slightly tight. The only other slugs worth buying is the Griffin. There close to AVS but cost more. For me price is no object so if Griffin was better I would use them. All other brands are not worth buying. Slugs are the best & here to stay ,they buck the wind great & hold there power a lot farther downrange . Also I found the 22. cal in wind is as good or better than the 30 cal. One last thing, any slug I tried out in every brand the Dish shot the best. Some Cup bases shot ok. Flat base, FORGET IT. including the Javelin's . I have nothing to do with AVS but if they go out of business we will be in trouble.

My setup for above post. both 22 & 30 cal. M-3's Fx Impact heavy barrel, the Huma large brass hammer weight & heavy spring, 700 mm barrel & light weight stop spring. I set the gun up with the above slugs to be able to shoot 1000fps . The stop knob is set to the 4th line plus 1 1/2 turns out. The hammer spring set to #8 The Reg in both guns was slowly increased until I get 1000 fps. My 30 cal took 165 & the 22 cal 125 to get the 1000 fps. Then I use the hammer spring wheel to slowed the slug down to around 987 . Then I use the bumper to slow the slug down from 987 to 977 . I get the best results in both the 22 calk & the 30 cal at 975 to 980 fps. By doing the above your keeping your gun calmed down & you are using all the features built into these guns. Most of my shots are within 2 to 3 fps. She at the same fps for 8 shots in a row. This shows you how good the FX Impact is BUT ALSO how good these slugs are made. Bravo AVS