What single 40 or 50 power scopes to consider

bigHUN

Jan 16, 2020
L4G7X4 Canada
My interest is to mount it for target - competition shooting longer ranges like 2-300 meters.
I am a firm believer "if you can see it you can hit it" also no need for extra spotter to drag around.
I just started researching for a single prime glass minimum 40 power but more is better.
My first focus will be getting a higher quality from second hand instead of buying BNIB from a store.

Any advise?

I saw this at the range on a F class shooters' rig
He told me that there are a few in the country..not many i guess because of the price
but since this is just to consider and not a must purchase..it's around 4.5k

Also..take a look at Delta Stryker scopes ..very nice glass..can see .22 pellet holes at 100 yards with my 5 -50 x 56 Delta

Athalon has a 10-60x Ares that is getting good reviews for about $1K.

Or the Athlon Heras 10-60 which some have stated has the same glass quality as the Ares ETR version and is less expensive.

I've had the ETR version for 7 months and I like it because of the mostly daylight bright illume. A very bright, crisp, and clean, image quality.

Or the Athlon Heras 10-60 which some have stated has the same glass quality as the Ares ETR version and is less expensive.

I've had the ETR version for 7 months and I like it because of the mostly daylight bright illume. A very bright, crisp, and clean, image quality.
Night force Bench rest 12-42x56mm....Excellent glass....So good they haven't. Changed for 20 years....

You must be a photographer because you use the term “prime” - which means fixed power lens…

… So, you would want a Sightron SIII 45x target scope. The glass is awesome, I have two of them. (Center dot and non-dot reticle).

Sightron also makes the same scope in 36x fixed power (prime) - gives a slightly brighter image. I also have this but recommend the 45x - the difference in brightness is negligible to me.

These scopes run $1,100. Sightron gives excellent discount to military and law enforcement if you call them.

-Ed

Night force Bench rest 12-42x56mm....Excellent glass....So good they haven't. Changed for 20 years....

I imagine that by now NF has changed their coatings and prescriptions but 15 years ago I wasn't impressed with the 12-42. A friend had one and I wasn't convinced enough to buy one.

It was the same way with the 5 NXS scopes I had back then. Ok IQ but nothing great.

However NF has been a leader with durability and tracking which is why I bought them. I don't own any NF now though because I found what I feel are optics that offer near equal performance but as good or better IQ.

These Athlon 15-60's on the other hand are pretty impressive in the IQ department even against very expensive scopes like my S&B and March Genesis. Also the build quality feels exceptional.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
You must be a photographer because you use the term “prime” - which means fixed power lens…
;)
I mentioned prime lens with a purpose and many posters here didn't catch that.
I already have a Falcon X50 (10-50x60) on my Impact zeroed @ 100 and a big Nikko 8-32x60 on my Leshiy2 zeroed @ 50. The IO 5x30 pro is for my backyard protection.
I am looking next for a single high power for 100-300.
The Sightron 45 may be good choise but missing a center dot, what I would prefer for distance.
Needless to say I like Japanese glass - this what I can pay for it, unfortunately I could never collect a money for German optics.
I am seeing for years increasing difficulties exporting scopes from US to Cad because of ITAR, for this reason my mind is open to get from wherever around a Globe.

Last edited:
;)
I mentioned prime lens with a purpose and many posters here didn't catch that.
I already have a Falcon X50 (10-50x60) on my Impact zeroed @ 100 and a big Nikko 8-32x60 on my Leshiy2 zeroed @ 50. The IO 5x30 pro is for my backyard protection.
I am looking next for a single high power for 100-300.
The Sightron 45 may be good choise but missing a center dot, what I would prefer for distance.
Needless to say I like Japanese glass - this what I can pay for it, unfortunately I could never collect a money for German optics.
I am seeing for years increasing difficulties exporting scopes from US to Cad because of ITAR, for this reason my mind is open to get from wherever around a Globe.

The Sightron SIII 45x is excellent Japanese glass and comes with or without a center dot - I have both with and without dot - see boxes.

IMG_4336.jpeg

Would that x45 power show the POI holes @ 200 or even better 300?
I am seeing the Sightron x45 costs fractions only compared to the March x48...
If you have decent vision in most conditions you will see a .22 or 6mm at 300 yards, or farther. Another good point this scope for the power is light weight. Gets a fair amount of use in 1000 yard benchrest due to all the above.