• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX What should I do with an Impact X?

I have an Impact X in .22 that I bought to try a few different things. The idea was to try different calibers (.30?) and/or slugs and try to gain some understanding of tuning an airgun. In 2022 I tried to order two different plenum upgrades that never seemed to materialize. After several months of waiting I finally gave up on that idea. I have learned some things from this rifle - primarily how to find and fix leaks. The fixes have not been difficult but they can be tedious and sometimes my attention gets diverted while waiting on parts so it takes a while to get back to fixing the rifle. It would still be interesting to try a larger caliber PCP and it sounds like it could be done with the Impact X as-is. The performance would probably be better with the plenum/block upgrades that I couldn't get but I've heard that's not strictly necessary. I don't actually have a use for a larger caliber PCP either. I'm only hunting cellulose and my three other .22 PCPs do that just as well. I guess I'm just not sure where the Impact X fits. Is it worth trying to switch calibers with or without the upgraded power parts? Or would I be better off (save the time and frustration) buying something in a larger caliber from the start?

I ordered one and received it in few days. I installed it and it worked fine. I took it apart to polish up the hammer system to try and eliminate the slow first few shots. Unfortunately after I reassembled it the regulator started leaking I thought I had screwed up one or more Orings. It finally let go all of the way. Suppose to get the Oring kit today so I can get it back working. I do have to say that the polishing did increase velocity but not sure about the first few shots yet.

I ordered one and received it in few days. I installed it and it worked fine. I took it apart to polish up the hammer system to try and eliminate the slow first few shots. Unfortunately after I reassembled it the regulator started leaking I thought I had screwed up one or more Orings. It finally let go all of the way. Suppose to get the Oring kit today so I can get it back working. I do have to say that the polishing did increase velocity but not sure about the first few shots yet.
First slow shots is a design flaw where the plenum neck enters into the block. It has been discussied heavily on the forums.
Its a long read, but in the end you will understand whats happening.

Short solution, @mubhaur sells a modified part of it to eliminate the extrusion of the oring on the valverod.

I was getting crazy with the first slow shots, first one was like 100 fps slower. Took almost 5 shots to get back on track. Now since I have the part and tuned the impact not even afther 48 hours the first shot is slow.

• Love
Reactions: mubhaur