• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

What scopes are you using for Hunter Class?

RIGHT NOW, I use a Sidewinder 10x42 with the 1/2 mil dot reticle. It is the ONLY case where I prefer the 10x reticle to the (larger) 20x reticle. This is because the 10x offers twice the hold points at 10x than the 20x reticle. IF you could use 20x magnification at HFT, I would opt for the 20x. But, as you know, Hunter Class allows for up to 12x scope power. So, this begs the question, "why not use the Sidewinder 4.5-14x, and have it set to 12x?" For me, it comes down to math. It is simpler at 10x power, and I don't feel like the "loss" of magnification costs me any shots. I do not rely on range estimation using the side focus (like the FT boys do). I find that at 10x magnification, I just can not get enough precision. So, I prefer to always use mil dots - especially since the target sizes (1/2", 1". 1.5" etc) are known.

I would actually prefer if we used metric distances. That would make the math easier (using the mil system).

In preparation for the coming HFT competitions, I am looking into 10x scopes with MOA reticles, as MOA "math" is much easier when target distances are set using Imperial measurements.

Currently available new, Aeon 10-40x56, set at 12x actually does range pretty well at 55 yards, naturally you will need a large wheel. I've only briefly looked through the 8-32 Aeon it seemed to do well also but I didn't really give it a go. THE best may well be the OLD (you'll need to buy used) high power Nikko with the Green knobs.
I could be wrong on this, but, I do believe Charles Garvey just switched to an Aeon. Charles is one of the best Hunter class shooters I know and tests every darn option that can be found and will use nothing but the best.
"I" would very much learn towards getting a scope that will focus/range rather than bracketing, you'll naturally have a great time no matter what but there is a reason(s) most people focus rather than bracket.
Get you hands on a 40x Aeon, turn it down and give it a try, I was shocked at how well it does.

And, keep us posted on what you find.
John

Hawke Sidewinder 30, 6-24X56 with the 20X 1/2 mil-dot reticle. I like it better than the 10X. It will soon be replaced with an Optisan Viper 4-16X. That reticle works as good, if not better, and the illumination is brighter. You need then when shooting in the woods. I tried a bunch of others including Muellers, Vortex, AEON. I've looked through some of my friends scopes including Bushnells, Konus, BSA, Centerpoint, Leapers, Simmons, Nikko, and others. I still come back to these primarily for the reticle and the ranging capability. If I were to choose one, it would be the Viper.